Starving For Pandora!

...I love you, guys *sobs* ...but not chad... he gets no cookies from me >.>

This might not be a bad thing, with a November release we get into that "Holiday 08" zone where this could pull in some serious bank for Christmas shoppers (that is if we can get the word out about it).

another 3 months waiting? I'd say this is enough time to get in contact with 2D-boy and having an innovative independent game called "world of goo" at startup :D http://www.2dboy.com/games.php

Really, I love the Pandora design, all it's possibilities and freeness, but I'm really hoping that at least one modern commercial game will be available on startup to show a little bit of what it is really capable without loosing most resources on emulating (I'll buy even with a lack of this ^^).

conso said:
another 3 months waiting? I'd say this is enough time to get in contact with 2D-boy and having an innovative independent game called "world of goo" at startup :D http://www.2dboy.com/games.php

Really, I love the Pandora design, all it's possibilities and freeness, but I'm really hoping that at least one modern commercial game will be available on startup to show a little bit of what it is really capable without loosing most resources on emulating (I'll buy even with a lack of this ^^).

I am more of a fan of a little sidescrolling action: http://www.chroniclogic.com/index.htm?gish.htm

But I agree, it would be sweet. It is the only game system (with gaming controls) around with this much power handheld, so I hope we can see some commercial games as well.

Edit: I dunno if we will see either of these games though, they seem to need a bit more power than we might think (physics).

http://www.2dboy.com/faq.php
you need a 1GHz or faster CPU, at least 512MB of memory, Direct3D 9 or newer, and pretty much any old 3D graphics accelerator.

That is a 1GHZ Pentium 3 class x86 processor (I think only Pentium 3s and Athlons, Durons can go 1Ghz, at least on normal cooling.)

I am pretty sure we don't have that kind of power or memory on tap.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
I am more of a fan of a little sidescrolling action: http://www.chroniclogic.com/index.htm?gish.htm

But I agree, it would be sweet. It is the only game system (with gaming controls) around with this much power handheld, so I hope we can see some commercial games as well.

Edit: I dunno if we will see either of these games though, they seem to need a bit more power than we might think (physics).

http://www.2dboy.com/faq.php
you need a 1GHz or faster CPU, at least 512MB of memory, Direct3D 9 or newer, and pretty much any old 3D graphics accelerator.

That is a 1GHZ Pentium 3 class x86 processor (I think only Pentium 3s and Athlons, Durons can go 1Ghz, at least on normal cooling.)

I am pretty sure we don't have that kind of power or memory on tap.

+1 for Gish!

I remember playing the demo for that a while back, REALLY fun. I'm gonna download the demo again right now and play it again!

Soulkiller said:
+1 for Gish!

I remember playing the demo for that a while back, REALLY fun. I'm gonna download the demo again right now and play it again!
Get some USB gamepads and challange a friend to Sumo!!

It is hours of fun, sometimes gross stomach turning fun (watching two balls of goo wrestle), but I dare you not to giggle.

You can dump both of you off of the sumo platform and into the water without drowning, you do just barely float, and it is fun until one of you climbs on top of the other and you end the match :)

Seriously, if you haven't tried multiplayer you missed a lot.

Soulkiller said:
...I love you, guys *sobs* ...but not chad... he gets no cookies from me >.>

This might not be a bad thing, with a November release we get into that "Holiday 08" zone where this could pull in some serious bank for Christmas shoppers (that is if we can get the word out about it).
Eh, Chad's a good balance to some of the raving fanatics who would buy Pandora if it were released in 2048. :rolleyes: I like to think I fall somewhere in between.

As for the latter statement, how does that even hold true? After all, there's only 3,000 units, and with the given interest levels thus far, they'll sell out promptly no matter when the thing is released this year.

nubie said:
Soulkiller said:
+1 for Gish!

Get some USB gamepads and challange a friend to Sumo!!

It is hours of fun, sometimes gross stomach turning fun (watching two balls of goo wrestle), but I dare you not to giggle.

You can dump both of you off of the sumo platform and into the water without drowning, you do just barely float, and it is fun until one of you climbs on top of the other and you end the match :)

Seriously, if you haven't tried multiplayer you missed a lot.

Yes, gish is a cool game, but yet it already is a little bit old. world of goo would be brand-new and as far as I can see from the demo, makes a lot of fun, too. Even in singleplayer :D
Another great indy game about to release for linux ist this one: http://braid-game.com/
It's already released for xbox360 and got full score and high reputation from a lot of reviewers.

We have no idea how fast turn around times could be on the second batch but if the first batch sells out immediately then I'm sure the investors will get very excited to try and push out another batch before Christmas. And Investors have a way to make things happen how they want.

conso said:
Yes, gish is a cool game, but yet it already is a little bit old. world of goo would be brand-new and as far as I can see from the demo, makes a lot of fun, too. Even in singleplayer :D

I know, but the question is whether or not we could even do the math on the processor (I think the graphics are OK on the Pandora for this stuff).

It would take a bit of work, and I don't think these guys develop for embedded/handheld systems.

I am not sure if "old" matters with Gish. It was designed to be a classic sidescroller, so it is Supposed to look "old". Since the requirements for Gish are inline with the requirements for your game (although I think Gish has much better graphics, I know it needs a decent graphics card on a 1024x768 or 1280x1024 screen, but that might just be shaders.) It does need less RAM, but needs a better video card, I don't know what the difference is though.

Another great indy game about to release for linux ist this one: http://braid-game.com/
It's already released for xbox360 and got full score and high reputation from a lot of reviewers.

Soulkiller said:
We have no idea how fast turn around times could be on the second batch but if the first batch sells out immediately then I'm sure the investors will get very excited to try and push out another batch before Christmas. And Investors have a way to make things happen how they want.
What do you think this is, some corporation trading on the DOW? It's a rag-tag group of guys trying to make the best handheld they can. I don't even think Pandora has investors. Sure, the dev's motives may be mostly economically driven, but there's virtually no way they could crank out more and release them a month before Christmas. Besides, it was already stated that there would be a considerable gap between batch one and two.

CronoTriggerfan said:
What do you think this is, some corporation trading on the DOW? It's a rag-tag group of guys trying to make the best handheld they can. I don't even think Pandora has investors. Sure, the dev's motives may be mostly economically driven, but there's virtually no way they could crank out more and release them a month before Christmas. Besides, it was already stated that there would be a considerable gap between batch one and two.
Of course I don't believe that this is some large corporation. But to believe that the Pandora project has absolutely no investors is ridiculous. Not only has Craig and Co made comments about undisclosed Investors, but to think that this "rag-tag" group of guys is shelling out all development cost out of pocket is just silly. Sure they probably are shelling out some of their money just for faith in what they've made but I doubt from the look of Craigs dwelling in Pandora's Pictures that he's sipping wine all day and can easily fork out the expenses of assembly line manufacturing and bulk orders of expensive electronics.

Also, Craig and Co comments about the gap in batch production was a little ambiguous. We need to interpret what a "considerable gap" may be. 3 weeks? 1-2months? 1/2year? and again, we don't know whats holding them back to a "considerable gap" between batches. If its something money can solve, then we have a possible solution.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, TI is probably our number 1 investor. We are their flagship for the OMAP3 besides the beagleboard. I wouldn't doubt it that they invested quite a bit of money in this project.

Soulkiller said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Of course I don't believe that this is some large cooperation.

i hope you meant Corporation. because a Cooperation is exactly what the Pandora is :p

back to the original topic, i just bought myself one of the new Acer Aspire One sub-notebooks (the 1gb ram, 120gb HDD model). it should tie me over quite well until the pandora releases.

also just bumped my mobile plan up to the 6gb/mo plan. now i can play some Pokerstars on the bus-ride to work, and on my lunch break. should make my work-day twice as profitable :p

The belief that there's some massive corporate hand or "Investors" (with a random capital 'I' as you post it) that can magically turn the cogs of time and speed up manufacturing is immature and just flat-out stupid. And a "considerable amount of time" isn't a couple weeks, no matter how much you want it to be.

Gonna get back on topic real quick here guys. I've been spending alot of time messing with the homebrew scene on the wii. Seems to have really flourished in the past couple months. DVD playback + mplayer + network streaming + usb = ultimate media center. And the blue light strobes to the music. :D

impreziv said:
i hope you meant Corporation. because a Cooperation is exactly what the Pandora is :p

Whoops, thank you for that. I get excited sometimes when i right click something for a spell check :p

CronoTriggerfan said:
The belief that there's some massive corporate hand or "Investors" (with a random capital 'I' as you post it) that can magically turn the cogs of time and speed up manufacturing is immature and just flat-out stupid. And a "considerable amount of time" isn't a couple weeks, no matter how much you want it to be.
Again I do not believe their is a "massive corporate hand" (Or cooperation as I mistakenly said earlier :p ) behind Pandora. Although I did hypothesize that we do at least have TI's blessing which may or may not mean substantial funding and investment from them (and they are a very large corporation).

I do not believe that backing we have is massive... but I know from random post about the forums that we have _something_ behind us, handing out money. Question is what or who.

craigix said:
MaGaIn said:
Gizmondo is backed by a rather large team of wealthy investors and companies... The Pandora is not
:rolleyes:

That little eye roll could mean anything. Again I'm not suggesting that we have some "large team of wealthy investors and companies", but sarcasm is a devil when it comes to getting details. And like I said before, we do not know WHY they said their will be such a large turn around between batches. If it was a problem that the assembly line needs a long prep period then I would understand. But if its something such as reserving a spot in line, filling out mounds of paper work, getting more money to pay for assembly costs, or long shipping times from the manufacture then its all technically possible to speed up. But if we're already at our best and that's the fastest we can go then so be it.

And even if Craig originally said it would be a considerable amount of time, the way things have been going with this project, any type of statement regarding time could be be off by months...although it usually seems to be on the plus side :( .

I do not want to get hopes up. In fact I retract my original statement that its likely for a second batch before Christmas. But hey, why can't we hope? Better yet, lets just make sure all the right people get in the first batch ;)

CronoTriggerfan said:
Soulkiller said:

Depends. If they sell out early October, with the 4-8 weeks lead time quoted before they could have the next batch ready by mid-November to mid-December. As to funding, if they sell 3000 they have the cash from those to make the next batch. I don't see that the second batch just before Christmas is impossible but actually a business person would want to make damn sure it did happen if the demand were there.

TI is probably an investor in this project. They would probably want to use the Pandora as an example of how affordable it is to implement their OMAP3 platform to larger manufacturers. "Look, only 10,000 units sold and they managed a decent profit. Imagine what you could do with over a million units shipped?" kinda thing.

Showing how even a small community movement could pull off incredible things on their hardware cost effectively and affordably is something that will impress people. People that push buttons with truckloads of bank behind them.

For MWeston

I know this project is about open source? My question is will there be support for hardware hackers? I mean will schematic or documentation like for the beagleboard be available? Im not saying that this is completely same as beagleboard. Im only asking. Some people would also like to tweak their hardware once in a while. Thanks

Back