Midi Devices On Pandora/angstrom

Mofokubik

Website
Visit site
I've had my first pandy for a little while, then I lost the DC adaptor and ended up killing the battery by charging it via usb.. I then found my dc adaptor and the pandora still works without the battery.

Well I have a 2nd pandora still on the way (ordered from batch 2) and I never could figure out or get any answers in the linux community as to how to get midi devices to work in a midi host.. I've tried getting my keyboard to work with milky tracker, but with no success. I don't even understand how usb works in linux or on the pandora..

Is the usb port on the pandora usb 1.0? If I have a usb 2.0 hub, does that mean it won't work with the pandora? Does the pandora have midi drivers and the necessary software to make this work?

I'm really sorry, as I can't help with much of this, but there is one point that I can answer;

Mofokubik said:
Is the usb port on the pandora usb 1.0? If I have a usb 2.0 hub, does that mean it won't work with the pandora?
It's the other way around. The Pandora's full-sized USB port is USB 2.0 High Speed *only*. You need a USB 2.0 High Speed hub, which will contain hardware that can "translate" for other USB devices, if you wish to use USB 1.0 or USB 1.1 devices. (Some folks back in the day insisted that not labelling the port with this would never confuse anyone. It remains the biggest point of confusion about that port. :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently added a MIDI page to the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/MIDI

In short, yes the Pandora has support for generic USB MIDI devices. I haven't gotten a MIDI keyboard working in Milkytracker though. Apparently the x86 Linux version should have it enabled by default, but I don't know if that applies to our port.

Sunvox supports MIDI input.

Prometheus said:
It's the other way around. The Pandora's full-sized USB port is USB 2.0 High Speed *only*. You need a USB 2.0 High Speed hub, which will contain hardware that can "translate" for other USB devices, if you wish to use USB 1.0 or USB 1.1 devices. (Some folks back in the day insisted that not labelling the port with this would never confuse anyone. It remains the biggest point of confusion about that port. :p )
Thanks for clearing that up. The only hub i've tested it with was usb 1.0, so that explains my difficulties :D

Gruso said:
I recently added a MIDI page to the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/MIDI

In short, yes the Pandora has support for generic USB MIDI devices. I haven't gotten a MIDI keyboard working in Milkytracker though. Apparently the x86 Linux version should have it enabled by default, but I don't know if that applies to our port.

Sunvox supports MIDI input.
Thanks for the links, and info. It's exciting to know there's midi support in there already.

I'm just now dabbling in various compilers, maybe soon I can try my hand at some simple ports.

EDIT- So dosbox's midi support hasn't been tested? I've got a windows 95 machine that I was planning on loading up with old DOS synths and music programs, I can also test them with the pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back