Starting A Web Server

thojoh370

Still Fresh
Website
gmail.com
Dear community,
I have been browsing around in the menus on my GP2X and I found a setting called Web Server or something similar. It's options were ON or OFF. What happens if I set it to ON? Could somebody provide a step-by-step tutorial in how to set up the GP2X to work as a web server?

Thanks in advance,
Thord Johansson

Get usb networking running (if you've got an F100 - if it's a F200 you're buggered), then browse to the gp2x's ip address. Files go on the nand somewhere (/usr/gp2x/www rings a bell, but it's been years since I last looked at this). If you create a sym link you can put the files on an sd instead. It's also got php.

woogal said:
Get usb networking running (if you've got an F100 - if it's a F200 you're buggered), then browse to the gp2x's ip address. Files go on the nand somewhere (/usr/gp2x/www rings a bell, but it's been years since I last looked at this). If you create a sym link you can put the files on an sd instead. It's also got php.
But how is it reachable via the Internet?
http://[gp2x_ip]/index.php
Could that be it, or does it have to use my computer's IP?

I have F100 - and USB networking is working just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea. Never seen the point.

You'd have to have a working connection from the gp2x to the internet first (if you haven't already), which usually requires a little more than just configuring a usb network, and then do something to redirect port 80 on your PCs ip to the gp2x ip. Going straight to the gp2x ip from the internet is never going to work because it's a seperate internal network you've created.

Not sure why you want to use the GP2X as a web server any way. I use my F100 with USB networking to debug code with telnet and some times to transfer code. To run a web server like APACHE seems over kill but I do not understand what you want to use it for. I do not remember seeing this option with my firmware.

Gary Miller said:
Not sure why you want to use the GP2X as a web server any way. I use my F100 with USB networking to debug code with telnet and some times to transfer code. To run a web server like APACHE seems over kill but I do not understand what you want to use it for. I do not remember seeing this option with my firmware.
Because it's a free way of getting a website up! I run Windows on my computer and I still haven't found a way to host my own website that is php enabled in Windows. But in GP2X I've heard this shouldn't be such a big deal. If you want to hear my opinion: Quit asking "why, why" instead help me with the question I came here to ask.

People ask why because there may be a different solution for the actual problem then the one proposed.

Another possibility is to setup a Wifi dongle with the GP2X and connect directly to the router. This way you can forward the relevant ports needed to the GP2X.

If you want to run a server on your PC, consider using either:
http://apache2triad.net/ - A full install of all the relevant software needed in one click
Or
http://portableapps.com/apps/development/xampp - Standalone program server, runnable from a USB disk if need be.

Setup a static IP on the PC and forward the relevant ports from the router and get a URL for your IP address of the Internet connection.

http://www.no-ip.com/ setup is free for .no-ip.org/com/etc domains.

I have done this a free times myself. Note that some ISPs will block standard server ports to home connections.

Thord Johansson said:
Gary Miller said:
Because it's a free way of getting a website up! I run Windows on my computer and I still haven't found a way to host my own website that is php enabled in Windows. But in GP2X I've heard this shouldn't be such a big deal. If you want to hear my opinion: Quit asking "why, why" instead help me with the question I came here to ask.

I was trying to figure out WHY you wanted to run a web server on a machine with limited memory and speed. Your were trying to solve a problem and asking questions about how YOU decided to solve the problem without telling us what the problem you were trying to solve. If you can't get one running on your PC then you have NO chance of doing it on the GP2X.

Gary Miller said:
Thord Johansson said:
Gary Miller said:

I was trying to figure out WHY you wanted to run a web server on a machine with limited memory and speed. Your were trying to solve a problem and asking questions about how YOU decided to solve the problem without telling us what the problem you were trying to solve. If you can't get one running on your PC then you have NO chance of doing it on the GP2X.

Sorry guys, my syndrome makes me misunderstand things. More information here

Back