Starcraft Running On Omap3430

trooper said:
Laurent said:
IIRC Chip said about 486DX33 or something like that. So it's *very* far from what you want.

I`m pretty sure it was something more like 386 16/20, Though that was not from Chip, But a coder not of the
Pandora development team.

Trooper
Go with 3000 cycles. Don't mix CPU type and mhz into this, it just causes confusion. Some things that can run on a 386 work just fine at 3000 cycles while others seem to require much more than that. There doesn't seem to be any rule the matches cycles to clock speed. Just stick with cycles. 3000 of them. Test it on your computer. If it runs in Dosbox on your PC at 3000 cycles, it will run on the Pandora.
I'm actually pretty sure it can go higher by now (maybe, I think) but I can't remember why I think that.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
I'm actually pretty sure it can go higher by now (maybe, I think) but I can't remember why I think that.
I recall heaving read in some other thread that due to the dynarec it was closer to 5000 cycles these day.

gadgetoid said:
The thing with Stargus/Stratagus is that, whilst it looks good in a video, it's an unplayable useless shadow of the almighty Starcraft, may its name be praised forever as one of the greatest RTS games of all time.
Fixed that for you.

:)

mali said:
4000-5000cycles @850MHz with dynarec

That 2000 number I had in mind was old info(no overclocking/dynarec)

Pickle said:
Main issue is with the C dynarec in dosbox is that it is not a full dynarec, it only recompiles certain operations, whereas if you had a full dynarec you would be recompiling more operations. At least thats how ive come to understand it.

Gp2x : 800-1000 cycles with dynarec
Pandora: 4000-5000 cycles with dynarec

So the hardware is definitely providing a good amount performance over the Gp2X.
The MIPS backend may be more efficient in recompiling x86 code than ARM is. Although I dont claim to know all the details, someone like exophase/M-HT can probably give some insight into why the difference in performance is there.

How many cycles are typical on the PSP?
Exophase said:
M-HT did several other updates to the ARM recompiler work he did. He also said he's interested in working on it on Pandora once it's out, but that was months ago. You can find out more here:

http://forum.openhandhelds.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=931

WizardStan said:
trooper said:
Laurent said:
IIRC Chip said about 486DX33 or something like that. So it's *very* far from what you want.
I`m pretty sure it was something more like 386 16/20, Though that was not from Chip, But a coder not of the Pandora development team.
Go with 3000 cycles. Don't mix CPU type and mhz into this, it just causes confusion.
The problem is that to almost everybody who would ask, "3000 cycles" means nothing. Saying "about as fast as a mid-range 386" is something most people can relate to, even if it's not always 100% accurate. Admittedly, the type of game and whether you can deal with slowdowns will determine what is or isn't "playable" more than system requirements. But you have to provide some sort of understandable baseline for people to set their expectations by, and "mid-range 386" is a close as we can get.

And for the record, the only time I ever mentioned a 486 was when I corrected someone else's inaccurate assumption.

kingoddball said:
Hey Mali; What speeds (system) can DOSbox emulate?
I would love to play Fallout and Fallout 2!
They require (Fallout 1) 70-90Mhz: ( Fallout 2 ) 70-120mhz (MAX).

Are these possible? Can DOSbox have save files aswell? I'm new to all of these things.

Wiki links are in the names.

Here is a video of Fallout on PSP Dosbox. You might expect a bit more performance but still it will be far from playable I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vor-XcRC-Hg

Back