Standardized Emulator Menu

skeezix said:
See, theres the rub -- try ti 'simplify' the front end by making users hack in command line settings.

This is easier than using a front end that is ctrafted to make it easy for the user for the given platform?

IT _can be_, but it is not always possible.
Maybe I wasn't quite clear -- the user doesn't necessarily even need to know there are command line parameters to configure, since most of the ports I've seen have been Pandora-specific. Since the hardware and OS are known quantities, you can distribute your app with a PXML file that contains a command string pre-configured for the device -- no need for the user to futz around with configuration settings unless they really want to.

This is why I always say .. it is best to offer multiple ways; offer as complete a command line as you like (as a dev), and also have your own front end as you like. Then peopel can use generic front ends if they want.

This is how its always been and is exactly what you want :)

I couldn't agree more. As others have pointed out, there are some emulators that don't lend themselves well to the 'Boot the emulator into X application' paradigm. I was trying to point out, though, that the means for accomplishing the OP's suggestion are already available through configuration of the existing solution, if a given end-user so chooses. There's really no need for a formal UI standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Global frontends. emulators made by anyone with competance will be able to have arguments passed to them.
you have your program, you select a game and it passes that arguement to the emulator along with any settings you need for it. emulators do NOT need to be standardized.

I don't mind having different menus and even ugly interfaces. Still I think this would be a nice idea. It's been pulled off somewhat successfully for the xbox scene. I forgot exactly what the library was called but it's doing exactly what is proposed here. So yeah, if someone is bored and likes coding stuff like this: GO FOR IT! I would donate for a good project like this and a lot of the devs would be pretty happy too I bet. It's not like they have to use it, if someone fancies making flashy menus they can still do that, no?

efegea said:
Well, perhaps an idea is that all emulators must have command line parameters, so it can be launched by a frontend. This way the frontend can be skinned like your mockups (I liked them a lot). A frontend for each emulator or a multiemulator one.
I also suggested this a few months back, there's a thread around here somewhere. if all emus had
a uniform CLI interface then roms could be launched by simply selecting them in the file manager. other `frount end' features could be integrated right into the file manager.

Hessiess said:
efegea said:
Well, perhaps an idea is that all emulators must have command line parameters, so it can be launched by a frontend. This way the frontend can be skinned like your mockups (I liked them a lot). A frontend for each emulator or a multiemulator one.
I also suggested this a few months back, there's a thread around here somewhere. if all emus had
a uniform CLI interface then roms could be launched by simply selecting them in the file manager. other `frount end' features could be integrated right into the file manager.

Different emulators are different.

Each one will have it's own quirks. Mostly the pc-type emulators will have differences.

Back