Sponge Blob Tennis + Sprite Choice Poll

Which score board do you prefer?

• The small one with the arabic numbers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The huge one with the roman numerals

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

A_SN said:
A flamming ball could be interesting too, although unrealistic since stuff only starts burning in the atmosphere at something like Mach 25 or so ;)
Yupp, we have to keep realism in a game, where 2 square gelly blobs play Tennis :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
A_SN said:
A flamming ball could be interesting too, although unrealistic since stuff only starts burning in the atmosphere at something like Mach 25 or so ;)
Yupp, we have to keep realism in a game, where 2 square gelly blobs play Tennis :lol:

lol. I often here that kind thing when I complain about how in science-fiction planets/the universe/the law of physics are so misrepresented. People tell me that an alien guy with pointy ears isn't much realistic either, but here's my position when it comes to unrealistic stuff. It's alright if you have to put a couple of unrealistic things, in our case, two square blobs playing tennis, but it doesn't make it alright to add more unrealistic stuff.

A movie with some dude with magical powers is alright, we can admit that, it can make the story interesting. But if then the story is completely improbable and that everything looks phony, it ruins it. You can break a couple of rules but not every rule you encounter. Hence my use of realistic physics in my game, despite the relative absurdity of the original situation. ;)

A_SN said:
-Very fast balls turn red like fire. :D
I actually considered doing something special for when the high balls get intercepted (since they're always thrown back at about 200 km/h) like some special kind of sound, one that may sound like when some huge projectile is projected in the air by one of these huge cannons from the 1950's and such. A flamming ball could be interesting too, although unrealistic since stuff only starts burning in the atmosphere at something like Mach 25 or so ;)

I had an idea after I was playing and hit one of the super-fast balls: If you hit a super-fast one, it would make some sort of laser noise and have a flash and the ball would fly in a straight line, through the net, hit the wall with a "thud" noise, stay there for a bit, then fall. It would be a cool thing as a reward for intercepting a 130mph ball. :)

atomicthumbs said:
A_SN said:
I actually considered doing something special for when the high balls get intercepted (since they're always thrown back at about 200 km/h) like some special kind of sound, one that may sound like when some huge projectile is projected in the air by one of these huge cannons from the 1950's and such. A flamming ball could be interesting too, although unrealistic since stuff only starts burning in the atmosphere at something like Mach 25 or so ;)

I had an idea after I was playing and hit one of the super-fast balls: If you hit a super-fast one, it would make some sort of laser noise and have a flash and the ball would fly in a straight line, through the net, hit the wall with a "thud" noise, stay there for a bit, then fall. It would be a cool thing as a reward for intercepting a 130mph ball. :)

But what if the other player catches that laser ball? How would he be rewarded for catching such a ball? With an atomic explosion? ;)

A_SN said:
atomicthumbs said:
A_SN said:

But what if the other player catches that laser ball? How would he be rewarded for catching such a ball? With an atomic explosion? ;)

They either can't catch it, or it goes through them and they get blasted to bits and then grow back (they are sponges, after all).

atomicthumbs said:
A_SN said:
atomicthumbs said:
A_SN said:

They either can't catch it, or it goes through them and they get blasted to bits and then grow back (they are sponges, after all).

haha, nice, but no, it wouldn't leave them a chance, as it's not even that rare to catch a 130 mph ball. I'd like to think up a few things that would only rarely happen tho, to the point you'd play just to get to see it ;)

Will there be an Update soon? ^^
I really could need a Training Mode or a easier AI because of my non existent Tennis/Pong Skills. :lol:

Gotta say, I'm a big fan of pixel art, and i reckon that visually, this is my favourite game.

My suggestions would be:

For some reason, I find I'm either playing a cpu, playing another human or tow cpus are playing for whatever random reason. Maybe it would be cool for at the beginning of each serve, briefly have a pixellated arrow pointing to the sponge with "CPU" or "HUMAN". It would help figure out what's going on.

More locations? I'd like that.

Some power ups or booby traps to make your sponge larger or smaller would be good.

It's a good game, good luck.

fusion_power said:
Will there be an Update soon? ^^
I really could need a Training Mode or a easier AI because of my non existent Tennis/Pong Skills. :lol:
Don't hold your breath, SBT is not the only project I'm on ;)

Nova said:
Gotta say, I'm a big fan of pixel art, and i reckon that visually, this is my favourite game.
Glad to hear that :)

For some reason, I find I'm either playing a cpu, playing another human or tow cpus are playing for whatever random reason. Maybe it would be cool for at the beginning of each serve, briefly have a pixellated arrow pointing to the sponge with "CPU" or "HUMAN". It would help figure out what's going on.

Agreed, I'm not sure on how it's gonna be done, but it's on my todo list.

More locations? I'd like that.

Great idea! I could get artists to make their own backgrounds (since that's all it takes) and the best ones would be included in the game!

Some power ups or booby traps to make your sponge larger or smaller would be good.

Can you elaborate please? How would that work?

More locations sounds good. But they should be in the same look like the original Pixel Art, I like this look to. :) I have found interesting pix with google image search for "pixelart", the style seems to be more common than I thought. :) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art )

And for the future, maybe the ball just start after a button is pushed, at the Moment, the ball starts instantly. ^^"

fusion_power said:
More locations sounds good. But they should be in the same look like the original Pixel Art, I like this look to. :) I have found interesting pix with google image search for "pixelart", the style seems to be more common than I thought. :)

And for the future, maybe the ball just start after a button is pushed, at the Moment, the ball starts instantly. ^^"
Actually, as I mentionned earlier, the service system will be a hell of a lot more sophisticated than that. The ball will first bounce on the ground, and at the first press of the jump button, the ball will be thrown up in the air, then the second press of the jump button will make the box jump, unless the ball is at the box level in which case it would serve. The third press of this button would serve the ball but only if the ball is within the box' reach.

Does it sound any good? :)

A_SN said:
Actually, as I mentionned earlier, the service system will be a hell of a lot more sophisticated than that. The ball will first bounce on the ground, and at the first press of the jump button, the ball will be thrown up in the air, then the second press of the jump button will make the box jump, unless the ball is at the box level in which case it would serve. The third press of this button would serve the ball but only if the ball is within the box' reach.

:blink: Actually...I was requesting an EASIER next release... :lol: What you describe sounds like finger knotting hardcore stress. ;)

A_SN said:

Can you elaborate please? How would that work?

Have you ever played a breakout game, where you grab a pickup, and it makes your paddle larger or smaller? And based upon that, it becomes easier or harder to hit the ball. Well, something like that possibly.

There could be some character that throws the pickup onto the court , and then goes offscreen maybe. Just a suggestion, good luck, anyway.

fusion_power said:
A_SN said:

:blink: Actually...I was requesting an EASIER next release... :lol: What you describe sounds like finger knotting hardcore stress. ;)

Nah, it's all about timing! If you're a slow person or don't want to bother, you'll throw the ball not so high, and you'll have waaay enough time to hit the ball (actually you'll have forever since the ball'd keep bouncing) and if you're the excited fast type of player you'll greatly enjoy catching the ball in mid air and throwing the ball fast where your opponent hardly can catch it :).

Nova said:
Have you ever played a breakout game, where you grab a pickup, and it makes your paddle larger or smaller? And based upon that, it becomes easier or harder to hit the ball. Well, something like that possibly.

There could be some character that throws the pickup onto the court , and then goes offscreen maybe. Just a suggestion, good luck, anyway.
Yeah, I regularly play Arkanoid, but I don't want to include such arcadish elements as a magic floating giant blue pill that makes you twice bigger out of nowhere. My first video game was a pong too (you can find it on the archive, it's witfully been named "A_SN's Pong") and when you'd lose your paddle'd get shorter, but I don't see myself doing that here..

Back