Squidgengine 0.1

Paradox

oh em gee
Website
Visit site
I finally got my PCEngine project to work! Currently it runs R-Type at 45fps at fs0. No sound yet though.

Don’t worry about SSNes, it’s not been abandoned - I’ve just taken a break for a few days, and will now be able to implement all the stuff like volume control, in game menus, etc, into both emu’s.

This emu uses exactly the same menu system as SSnes, and will have the same in-game menu style/etc. So it can use exactly the same skin files as SSnes. However, I don’t think most people want a picture of a SNES in a PCE emu, so anyone willing to create a new background should get in touch via the “comments” section. Hopefully rokdcasbah is working on some icons for the emu, so no need to worry about those.

Backgrounds can be tested in SquidgeSNES 0.34, but anyone whos serious can of course have a beta of this emu to try there artwork on.

Source: Squidge's Site

Currently no release, but it sounds very promising :D

Damn good, especially if you are a shump fan.
There are also a number of decent arcade conversions such as Rtype, Outrun, Shinobi etc the machine as well. Well worth having a look at.

It was released during the 8/16 bit era if that helps.

I will make a good donation if you can get this either fullspeed w/o sound FS0 or with sound FS1/2. I loved the TG-16! Best SHMUPS ever for a home console. I can also beta test for you if you like.

-Kensupen

This will be great if it eventually meets or exceeds the PC-Engine emu on the GP32. There are many good shooters on PC-Engine.

yaustar posted on Feb 4 2006 at 03:20 AM said:
Damn good, especially if you are a shump fan.
There are also a number of decent arcade conversions such as Rtype, Outrun, Shinobi etc the machine as well. Well worth having a look at.

It was released during the 8/16 bit era if that helps.
oooh, outrun, could that be the same game I always played on my DOS pc? :)

how well runs pc engine on gp32?
what are some good pcengine games?

I think im going to try some pcengine ^^.

Edit: "GPengine is a full speed PCengine emulator for the GamePark's GP32 handheld. "
so I guess it runs full speed then.

Last edited by a moderator:
GPengine is fast indeed, but it required you to either overclock your gp32, or run a lot of games in fs1. It was slightly too slow at fs0.

I'm going to be very disappointed if I can't get this running at 60fps or higher at fs0 without overclocking. Saying that however, I've done a few optimizations and it's already running at >50fps :)

Squidge posted on Feb 4 2006 at 01:15 PM said:
GPengine is fast indeed, but it required you to either overclock your gp32, or run a lot of games in fs1. It was slightly too slow at fs0.

I'm going to be very disappointed if I can't get this running at 60fps or higher at fs0 without overclocking. Saying that however, I've done a few optimizations and it's already running at >50fps :)
overclocking is no problem :)

I found out that outrun and volfied exist on pcengine :D, though they are a bit different from the pc version.

Does this emu do anything that Hermes' doesn´t (apart from the fact that is seems to be slightly faster)?

I must admit tht the PCEngine emulator on the GP32 was pretty much the emu i played the most i absolutely love the system it's got some awesome games. Nice 2 c it making it's way on2 the 2X, nice work again Squidge :D. Hmmmmm ive still got mine in the loft somewhere........... i may have 2 go and look :rolleyes:

Im looking foreward to your PCEngine emu, it was the most played emu on my GP32, If you can get Ios's running from the cue sheet, it would take first place on my GP2x.

Will happily donate towards this emu if it turns out good.

It'll eventually support PCE roms and CD's.

At the moment, Hermes's emu is certainly better - for one it supports sound, and for two it supports CD's.

But this one will catch up and hopefully eventually overtake ;)

I'm just designing a nice ARM ASM cpu core for it, as I've profiled it and rougly 55% of the program is spent in the cpu emulation.

Squidge posted on Feb 4 2006 at 07:48 PM said:
It'll eventually support PCE roms and CD's.

At the moment, Hermes's emu is certainly better - for one it supports sound, and for two it supports CD's.

But this one will catch up and hopefully eventually overtake ;)

I'm just designing a nice ARM ASM cpu core for it, as I've profiled it and rougly 55% of the program is spent in the cpu emulation.

That sounds just great. I think Hermes has left his PCEngine emulator to make a Spectrum emulator. Pity, it would've been great to have two coders competing for the best PCEngine emulator award. Some of the best emus were made that way (ZSNES Vs SNES9x or KGEN Vs Genecyst).

Good work (but don´t forget you have a SNES emulator to improve ;) )

what can be improved over hermes pc engine emulator? i thought that emulator and drmdx are the best and most complete emulators currently on the gp2x. i can't wait for squidge's snes emu to reach that status, its not far.

jbrodack posted on Feb 4 2006 at 11:31 AM said:
what can be improved over hermes pc engine emulator? i thought that emulator and drmdx are the best and most complete emulators currently on the gp2x. i can't wait for squidge's snes emu to reach that status, its not far.
What can be improved? Well, it would be nice to not have to overclock for fullspeed for one. Sounds like Squidge is well on the way to accomplishing this, so kudos to him. I look forward to checking it out. If he dives into this the way he did his SNES emu, it'll beat hermes' emu in no time.

jbrodack posted on Feb 4 2006 at 06:31 PM said:
what can be improved over hermes pc engine emulator?  i thought that emulator and drmdx are the best and most complete emulators currently on the gp2x.  i can't wait for squidge's snes emu to reach that status, its not far.

Hermes emu is kind of slow and the speed is erratic. It seem to speed up and slow down alot. It has high frameskip and the sound isn't working too good. It could be improved alot. Judging by the PC-engine emu on the GP32 it has a ways to go yet. Squidges can definately get much better than the emu from Hermes it he sticks with it.

Back