Spontaneous Gp2x Bricking

Just had my GP2x 'brick' for no apparent reason. I've e-mailed gp2x.co.uk (sales@cdworld.co.uk) for help, but no reply as of yet.

Critical - did you get your GP2x returned?

LinuxGuy
Yes and no. After a month, I finally got a GP2X back, but rather than the First Edition one that I had before, it was a newer one (with the latest 1.2.1 firmware).

I conclude from this that they aren't actually re-flashing them with a JTAG cable, but rather that my unit was delayed because they were waiting for more stock.

linuxguy, you need to make sure when emailing sales@cdworld.co.uk you don't send any attachments (even if it's just one of those plain text/html attachments that some mailers use). For reasons far beyond my comprehension (given that no other business I've ever dealt with has felt the need to silently reject such emails), some spam filtering software they use apparently blocks emails with attachments.

I'm delighted with my new unit, BTW. I was at the end of my tether with getting a replacement, to the point that I emailed asking for a refund (which they'd offered, to be fair), but they'd already sent the unit. Once I had it, there was no way I could have brought myself to send my lovely GP2X back :)

Hopefully your unit turnaround will be much quicker than mine - I have to say that I still think it was worth the wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine arrived back last week, about 10 days from returning it to receiving it back from gbax, but they had had a new batch of gp2xs in which they were testing and flashing with 1.2.1 while they had mine, they sent me a brand new one in the end, so i'm superhappy :D

Mine arrived back last week, about 10 days from returning it to receiving it back from gbax, but they had had a new batch of gp2xs in which they were testing and flashing with 1.2.1 while they had mine, they sent me a brand new one in the end, so i'm superhappy :D
It does make me wonder if anyone has ever had any success with reflashing... it doesn't look like gbax have. I'm sure it's possible, but not necessarily very easy at all.

Same for me, took over a month and it was replaced with a new device that arrived today. Thought about some bitching and whining because it's not labeled "First Edition" anymore, but remembered my age before starting that and so gave up on that idea. Preferred to bitch about having the gp2x here, the batteries and the SD card but no SD card writer. That's plain stupid. Bitch bitch. Whine. *sigh*.

Thought about some bitching and whining because it's not labeled "First Edition" anymore, but remembered my age before starting that and so gave up on that idea. Preferred to bitch about having the gp2x here, the batteries and the SD card but no SD card writer. That's plain stupid. Bitch bitch. Whine. *sigh*.
I wasn't so bothered about no longer having the "First Edition" label, as at least it meant I didn't have to run the gauntlet of firmware updating (I'm not sure which of Kermit, Miss Piggy or Gonzo coded that work of art).

It does make me wonder if anyone has ever had any success with reflashing... it doesn't look like gbax have. I'm sure it's possible, but not necessarily very easy at all.

Regards ‘auto-bricked’ units.

jTAG re-flashing the GP2X bootloader (U-Boot) via the pins exposed on the EXT port works and is 100% possible (I know, myself and others have done it many times now).

I have been working with some of the GP2X suppliers to get them setup to do just this but it’s an arse of a process (and slow) at the moment.
It takes 2 stages of jTAG futzing, serial updating of the resulting bootloader and then a complete ‘unbrick’ in my guides sense of the word ;) including the filesystem..

When things are a little more streamlined and user friendly (or at least less evil hacky) I intend to write up an article and clean up and release my code hacks (based off the jTAG-ARM9 project).

Regards ‘auto-bricked’ units.

jTAG re-flashing the GP2X bootloader (U-Boot) via the pins exposed on the EXT port works and is 100% possible (I know, myself and others have done it many times now).

I have been working with some of the GP2X suppliers to get them setup to do just this but it’s an arse of a process (and slow) at the moment.
It takes 2 stages of jTAG futzing, serial updating of the resulting bootloader and then a complete ‘unbrick’ in my guides sense of the word ;) including the filesystem..

That's great news - thanks in advance for providing the info. I guess they're just sending the faulty units back at the moment, or they've got a tower of bricked GP2X units waiting for your assistance ;)

Just a quick update: I received an e-mail from GP2x.co.uk last monday asking me to return my GP2x - this I did, and I'm pleased to say that a replacement GP2x was delivered this morning. No trouble, no hassle. Well done GP2x.co.uk!

linuxguy posted on Feb 6 2006 at 11:11 AM said:
Just a quick update: I received an e-mail from GP2x.co.uk last monday asking me to return my GP2x - this I did, and I'm pleased to say that a replacement GP2x was delivered this morning. No trouble, no hassle. Well done GP2x.co.uk!

I hope this is still the case, my brand new GP2X arrived today (with the 1.2.1 firmware) and to test it I tried to watch a DivX file from the root of the 1gig SD card ordered with it. Guess What spontaneous brick. Just mailled GP2X.co.uk let's hope I get a rapid replacement I really liked the look of the thing for the 15 - 20 minutes that it worked.

CraigsBar :unsure:
Galway, IE

The same thing happened to me, i downloaded sbagen and copied into my 2GB ADDVA card and booted it up.

When i saw the msg i was like WTF!!!

And now it is gone for good.

Back