Space Invaders Emulator V1.0

RobertJ posted on Sep 27 2004 at 10:01 AM said:
skeezix posted on Sep 26 2004 at 10:01 PM said:
Note that only minor changes to a SI emu will run other variations of SI like SI-Deluxe, etc.

Whilst this is true, and of course the source is available if people want to have a go, I think only Space Invaders Part II is worth it and will be the only one I do (which I've started on already btw).

However the important thing is I have a shell which I can work from for porting other single game 8080/z80 based emulators to, which does accurate timing. It helps now I understand how the z80 source works.

The only hurdle will be getting sound without breaks in games that use soundchips rather than samples. :)

Are you using Reesy's z80 or your own?
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
It is great. Howcome though you need to rotate the unit to play? SIemu plays normal direction I can't see the difference in graphics between versions. Maybe an option menu to rotate or not?

Also didn't the arcade have some kind of color filter on the screen (celophane) to simulate color? It would be cool if one of the SI emus had a toggle to turn it on or off depending on preference. That would make it the most complete ever.

Anyway great emu it plays great, thanks.

Took me a while, but I finally got it to work (problems with space on my SMC, not the software itself).

Very impressed - sounds and feels just like the original. Great work Robert - I hope you bring us some more...

DaveC posted on Sep 28 2004 at 03:13 AM said:
It is great. Howcome though you need to rotate the unit to play? SIemu plays normal direction I can't see the difference in graphics between versions. Maybe an option menu to rotate or not?

SIemu reboots my GP32 instantly so I can't comment on what it does.

However this emu is rotated for two reasons:

1) The original arcade monitor was rotated 90 degrees

2) I thought the resolution of the original arcade machine is 224x256 when I started coding it

Toying with the idea of making it a multi arcade emulator rather than individual releases.

And I may add rotation support then.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 1 2004 at 06:08 PM said:
Hia,

That was excelent, you said you are doing more? Er, may I suggest Pacman?

TTFN,
Clare.

If that was done it probably could be combined with Ms. Pacman too. The hardware was similar with those arcade machines.

Have you tried Xcade? Pacman is on there. It is ok but the screen should have been rotated 90 deg as it clips the top and bottom and the sound is a bit distorted. It is still not too bad.

raven posted on Oct 1 2004 at 11:12 PM said:
FX23 posted on Oct 1 2004 at 11:15 PM said:
WHAT files are needed to get this to work?
The download and the Space Invaders rom like the one used in MAME.

So if I download the same rom used in mame it will definitely work? There are so many different files with extensions out there just for space invaders.

wildcat posted on Oct 3 2004 at 12:23 PM said:
So if I download the same rom used in mame it will definitely work? There are so many different files with extensions out there just for space invaders.
That one works for me :)
FX23 posted on Oct 3 2004 at 06:04 PM said:
WHAT are the file names for the sound samples needed?
Those are included in the download. Just download it, get the right rom and follow the instructions in the readme.

yes, i got the roms, but no sound samples so i need the filenames of the samples because the emulator just state "no samples!"

FX23 posted on Oct 4 2004 at 08:04 AM said:
yes at i got the roms at but no sound samples so i need the filenames of the samples because the emulator just state "no samples!"

There is another .rar file in the main .rar file - that should decompress into a folder containing the .wav files. Copy these into /GAME/INVADERS along with the ROM images...

FX23 posted on Oct 4 2004 at 09:04 AM said:
yes at i got the roms at but no sound samples so i need the filenames of the samples because the emulator just state "no samples!"
And that's why I said: follow the instructions. If you install something without reading the readme that's fine but if it doesn't work just read the readme first.

Back