GP32 Space Dodger For Gp32!

paul55

Still Fresh
Hello! Today we want to announce that Quiest and I have ported Space Dodger to the Gamepark 32 console. We had to re-program almost all the game, resized and brightened the graphs for this version. Also we have adapted the intro so it fits on the GP32 ram. Here is some information taken from the readme:

* GP32, PC and Dreamcast versions now available
* In-Game artwork completely made from scratch
* Coded using every trick I knew to gain speed
* I have changed the sizes and brighten up the graphics by using painting tools to make them more watcheable on the GP32 screen
* Full of sounds and music
* Fluid framerate
* Four levels of increasing difficulty (I know... it's short)
* Four kind of powerups (two weapon powerups)
* Three kind of enemies
* Only for one player

Here is the list of basic controls of the game:

LEFT and RIGHT: Move the ship
B: Shoot (hold when powerup is gained)
A: Jump to next stage (when available)
START: Start game/pause game
SELECT+L+R: Return to the main screen (ingame only)

º Some images of the GP32 port:

sdgp32i19hm.jpg

sdgp32i25om.jpg

- The intro on the GP32

sdgp32l17bh.jpg

sdgp32l20fl.jpg

- Some in-game screens

sdgp32p5wo.jpg

- Press-Start screen

º Please, don't forget to read "sdreadme.txt" because it contains installation and game instructions. Don't forget that all feedback and constructive criticism is welcome!

º Download at my homepage (in spanish only): http://pineapplesoft.xoopiter.com/
º Enjoy!

Thanks for mentioning me. B)

But don`t believe paul55, guys, I didn`t do as much as he said :D it`s almost all his work :)

Be sure to play this, it`s a really cool homebrew game! I`m am still really fascinated of the intro! Damn cool, I think!

Edit: I would also thank EvilDragon, if he can edit the news on the front page to "Paul55 and Quiest" and not vise versa. I`m a bit ashamed to get mentioned at first, since it`s pauls game...

Make sure to enter the www.gbax.com competition!!!

I love homebrews, any chance of your cart racer comming over to the gp32? That is one thing I would love on the gp, a good racer.

Ok, tried it out.

Neat neat intro, didn't know fenix could do that.

Game works on blu+ unit fine (expected from fenix.rte).

Okay game, dodging is hard to find the closeness factor, where it counts or doesn't count.

Slowdown is seen when many objects are on the screen.

I was glad for falling powerups, that was a nice addition.

Maybe weapon charging, or a shield system, or some slight addition, needs something more as it is now.

Great Job, and be sure to enter it in the gbax compo!!!

mth411

Hey Quiest! without your great help this game surely have never seen the light of the day (sorry if you didn't like the way I put your name :blink: ). And about additions... hmmm.. I don't think i'm gonna make them in the near future, i'm working on other projects (like finishing the kart racer game) and also i'm looking forward to learn C++ when i finish them. But I don't know the future... who knows what will happen? :D . About Kart Racer... is made in Dark Basic so i don't think it will have a GP32 port, since I know very little about that hardware (are there some 3d API's like OpenGl for the console?). And thanks for the feedback, maybe if I make another version (or maybe another shoot'em up game) in other language it will be highly appreciated! ;)

No problem, paul, you don`t have to say sorry :)

Oh and I discovered a bug. I`m sad I didn`t notice it earlier:

When you start a new game, and you shoot so that your shots go ouside the screen, you gain 5 points instead of loosing them.
When you collect a power up, you get 0 points (still no 5 points loss) and when you have destroyed the first asteroid, the game works normal.

Quiest posted on May 3 2005 at 05:11 AM said:
No problem, paul, you don`t have to say sorry :)

Oh and I discovered a bug. I`m sad I didn`t notice it earlier:

When you start a new game, and you shoot so that your shots go ouside the screen, you gain 5 points instead of loosing them.
When you collect a power up, you get 0 points (still no 5 points loss) and when you have destroyed the first asteroid, the game works normal.
Wow... really a crazy bug! :blink: . I'll take a look at the sourcecode in some days. Anyways, looking at GBAX2005 competition rules I discovered that I have to make an update in order to compete, so please continue sending feedback/comments/whishes for the game so I can make an update (anyways it will be a small update, but an update at least ;)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, stop, the points are just dropping below zero, which I didn`t noticed (there is no "-") . And the part about the power up, don`t know why I thought that...

Ohh! I know what happened... when I made the score font I only made it with numbers to gain ram... but I forgot that it needed symbols too!:p, the next version will include the new font. Quiest, tell me if you want to add something to the game. I'm thinking in a new kind of enemy (another type of asteroid), the shield powerup will be a nice adittion (thanks mth411), five levels with no "auto-warp" on the harder ones, maybe another video somewhere, and if I got time a better "press start" screen (that's my actual wish list, it would be nice if I can add everything before May 31!) :D. Continue sending feedback please! Thanks!! :lol:

I think it would be a bad idea to add negative points. I would make it just to stay zero...

Maybe a bonus level with the objective of just staying alive, or something like that (loose no lives, but be able to make extra point, something like that...)

Quiest posted on May 4 2005 at 08:31 PM said:
Maybe a bonus level with the objective of just staying alive, or something like that (loose no lives, but be able to make extra point, something like that...)
Good idea, I'll try to imagine the stage a little more and see if I can add it to the final version. Thanks again! :)

paul55 and Quiest, would either or both of you mind chatting over IRC?

I'm curious about what you used to gain speed, because I'm extremely worried about my game having too much slow down.

If you wouldn't mind PM me or you might be able to find me in #gp32dev.

I hope you two are entering the GBAX competition (with this or something else).

BYEEEEE!!

devlkore posted on May 9 2005 at 12:59 PM said:
paul55 and Quiest, would either or both of you mind chatting over IRC?

I'm curious about what you used to gain speed, because I'm extremely worried about my game having too much slow down.

If you wouldn't mind PM me or you might be able to find me in #gp32dev.
Most of the speed ups I got are because I used a black screen as background and I didn't used any of the predefined scrolling routines. The speed gain is very noticable on the DC version (with pre-defined scroll the game ran 10 - 15 fps), and not so noticable on the GP32 version, anyways try to set your game to low fps (25 or 30 are fine) to don't suffer lots of slowdowns! Also using 8 bit colour depth will help you to gain a lot of speed on GP32 (and not so much on DC or PC versions). If you want to know some other techniques PM me with details of your game and I will think what we can do. Anyways Quiest knows more about speeding up on this handheld, that's everything I know! :D
devlkore posted on May 9 2005 at 12:59 PM said:
I hope you two are entering the GBAX competition (with this or something else).

BYEEEEE!!
Thanks! I'll do my best to add some little goodies before contest end in order to compete ;)

Nice Game, some comments:

Cool intro, really professional presentation.

Slowdown is quite apparent when lots going on

Orchestral music adds a lot to the atmosphere

How about having a level where "weapons malfunction" flashes on the screen, and the goal is to survive through a fast meteor shower with no guns?

It's waaay too short, I completed it on my first go.

Keep it up, nice to see new stuff :)

frolik posted on May 9 2005 at 10:14 PM said:
Nice Game, some comments:

Cool intro, really professional presentation.

Slowdown is quite apparent when lots going on

Orchestral music adds a lot to the atmosphere
:D Thanks!! My first task in the new version is to find a solution to those awful slowdowns. First I will set the game to 30 FPS (is in 40 on this version), and see what happens, then... I will see what I can do.

How about having a level where "weapons malfunction" flashes on the screen, and the goal is to survive through a fast meteor shower with no guns?
Really nice idea!! That's a great idea for level 5 or 6 maybe! :D
It's waaay too short, I completed it on my first go.

Keep it up, nice to see new stuff :)
Obviously that I want the game to be longer, but I don't want to make it very repetitive. With those ideas I can make more and better levels. Thanks for the feedback! Highly appreciated ;)

Back