South Korea And Indie Games

traylorpark

Very Active Member
Alright, thanks to the brilliant schism between the Wiz and Caanoo forums, not sure where to post something that might effect both.

Anyways ... check out this post on tig-source. South Korea appears to require all games, including indie, to pay rating fees.

As a potential dev who wants to use FunGP as a distribution method... I'm not too up on this. At all.

Korean game rating board cracks down on indies

That's pretty sick! I wonder how they're going to enforce this? Will they take down FunGP if the devs dont pay that? Will GPH help getting the rating or just ignore it?

Someone with a better contact to GPH should contact them about that issue. I think ED might be the guy, because he'll do the english support for FunGP.

They can seriously be thinking about trying to get a rating for EVERY KOREAN FLASHGAME on the internet can they?!
That's user-created content, free to the public, this isn't like the commercial games market!

Heheh .. about that.

"They announced to rate Flash Game at Jun. 2007. They got blamed at 2008 'inspection of the administration[government offices] conducted by the National Assembly', as only 0.35% (234 games) were rated from 66,727 Flash Games. "

TIG forum's discussion

traylorpark said:
Heheh .. about that.

"They announced to rate Flash Game at Jun. 2007. They got blamed at 2008 'inspection of the administration[government offices] conducted by the National Assembly', as only 0.35% (234 games) were rated from 66,727 Flash Games. "

TIG forum's discussion

Yeah, so the government is critical of them for not moderating public creations then?
They're going to see that folly fall through very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out about this yesterday, what a prime example of legally-backed extortion. Are they going to require mandatory ratings for all other forms of media as well? Like the millions of books, articles, movies, and songs that can be accessed by the Korean public? Are they going to block all international unrated content?

And you have to pay an extra 10% if your game isn't Korean-localized :)

Back