Sources for abbandoned projects

crazeeplaya

That's the way I like it
I have had an idea. What I think could be useful is a centralised place that has all of the source code for abandoned gp32 projects. This way it would be easier for people to continue these projects. Also people could also post source code that they have found on the web and would like to se ported at some point

I would happily add this to my website if people thought it was a good idea. So some thoughts on the matter please

crazeeplaya

Yeah, pretty good idea. However, would you want people to post their own sources in? People seem pretty reluctant to do that 4 sum reason. Maybe they want to feel the project was all their own work?

Thats a damn fine idea. It would give people like me a chance to look at some code as part of the learning process.

However you would have to maybe put a mini forum OR a password protection on each of the sources so that you could keep a log of who's using it and what for. This would prevent hundreds of people one day suddenly releasing the same Genesis emulator just slightly modified. Just request people e-mail you before they download the source hand over the password and then keep a log of it. Then stick a number next to the source on the webpage so others can see whether or not its worth getting.

I would happily accept any sources that people would give me, as long as they don't infringe copyrights

I can set up my service provider to keep track of which files have been downloaded, then put this number next to the download

It has fileloading, a mouselike cursor, and a collision detection which needs to be changed to bitmasks.

Twimfy posted on Jul 16 2003 said:
Thats a damn fine idea. It would give people like me a chance to look at some code as part of the learning process.

However you would have to maybe put a mini forum OR a password protection on each of the sources so that you could keep a log of who's using it and what for. This would prevent hundreds of people one day suddenly releasing the same Genesis emulator just slightly modified. Just request people e-mail you before they download the source hand over the password and then keep a log of it. Then stick a number next to the source on the webpage so others can see whether or not its worth getting.
Passwording would be *lame*; being free and open is good, not bad. If 10 people come up with emus.. that would not be bad. It woudl mean the best woudl survive. More to poijnt, you'd want to encourage people to work together, but if they wanted to go it separate.. fine. Thats healthy, too.

Putting controls on it is a bad bad bad idea most of the time.. it discourages things. Make it easy and just maybe someone will take them up.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Back