Sound Issues

NiGame

I have currently HF5 RC1 and community codec pack installed, tried 3 music players all sound the same. Then reflashed and installed community pack still no joy.

I have tried MP3's of different bit rates and all sound the same. It's as if an equaliser is screwed somewhere as music is mostly fine but can't hear any of the singing as it is really quiet. I have checked the equaliser settings and assume that these should have been reset anyway after my reflash.

All games and emulators sound fine.

I wonder if the codec pack hasn't installed properly - although I don't have the tinny sound you have before you install it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm imagining it as you describe it, it sounds like a short somewhere. The left and right channels come through just fine, but anything that plays over center/both channels (ie, vocals) end up canceling each other out, sounding very faint or "tinny". This could happen if the speakers are soldered incorrectly, and definitely happens when using iPhone headphones with microphone built in.

If you're hearing this through iPhone headphones, the obvious solution is to stop using those headphones. :p More than one person has sent back their Pandora thinking it was broken because of Apple's proprietary-but-not connector

If you're hearing it through the speakers however, we'll have to wait for EvilDragon to respond, since he's the one soldering the speaker cables.

Ah that is helpful, I do use iPhone headphones currently I'll switch them after work and I'll update if they were the cause.

Thanks for prompt response.

Just an update, normal head phones work, thx for your help

I had the exact same problem when I first got my Pandora,

If you press the answer call button on the headphones the sound comes through fine, It's to do with the pinouts of the IPhone not being compatible with Pandoras. I now use a small external speaker with built in rechargeable battery, very handy as it's a USB charger so if need be I can just charge the speakers with my Pandora, It works really well.

I did have a Bluetooth speaker but It was a bit buggy and tends to crash when playing games as its not officially supported yet.

Back