Sonic the Key-logger

anyway I do prefer Sonic2 pixel art (or simply Sonic2 ...)

Been following this game for a while but I didn't download it thankfully, I think it looks good though but give me 16 bit pixels everyday.

So there is *probably* nothing to be concerned about right, and the keylogger detection is picked up due to the way the code was set in an attempt to prevent reverse engineering?

I dont have this game but would warn a friend about this if theres danger of his keys being logged

I downloaded the Alpha back when it had just came out. Being a Sonic fan, I was looking forward to this game's release.

The game itself is solid. And by Solid, I mean it played very similar to Sonic 2 while doing what I expect an HD Remake should do: Double the framerate and recreate the art to fit the more modern setting (1080p and the ability to have full music tracks)

But the code around the game is a mess. The levels can take minutes at a time to load, depending on your machine. The game for some reason requires a ridiculous amount of computing power for it's intended purpose. From some of the code I've seen via the Sonic Retro Forums, the code is bloated.

And then there's the stupid DRM, which makes absolutely no sense at all unless you're trying to keep secrets kept. And there shouldn't be anything that needs to be that way in a project like this one.

Oh, and then you got... well, this. Honestly, what more needs to be said? KEY LOGGING CODE IN A FANGAME.

Some suspect this code was originally put in to prevent players from recording video or taking screenshots (The staff has said the programmer wanted to do that.) But still,

WHY IS IT STILL THERE.

WHY IS IT ACCESSING MY REGISTRY.

LOst has a lot of explaining to do. Too bad he's been hiding under a rock since the game's release.

EDIT: Let me make it clear that this is not the Sonic Communities doing, nor Sonic Retro. As far as we can tell, it's not even the team's fault. The programmer, LOst, has been holding the game random for some time now, and the only way to get it out the door was to allow LOst to put in the DRM. The team doesin't seem like it was aware of the Keylogging.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all really nuts. I read the drama and now I'm pretty glad I didn't have time to install the demo, but watching some 1080p video of it playing makes me sad that such a great effort is marred by just absolutely ridiculous idiocy.

The game was so promising, just to be marred by ego, I do like the fact it's the Sonic 2: Sonic 3 edition (both acts are not separated but roll into one).

So now it's not a keylogger, just a glitch that makes antivirus software think it is? :mellow:

According to their Facebook, the project has been officially discontinued as staff are leaving or not responding. Sad really I would have liked to see that completed.

Back