Something Taking Place On Nand??

reiboul

Peace sells... but who's buying?
Website
Visit site
hello!!
I had a problem with my GP2X, installing skins. Luckily I had Telnet enabled, and was able to change skin using telnet, and the script said something like, failed to copy, not enough space, for some files.
Using Samba server, I removed smbmnt, smbumount and smbmount, since they take 1,4Mo and where added by myself, and everything went OK when applying a new skin

but now, i cannot put those files back, as there is not enough space!
I don't really mind, because I put smbmnt and smbmount, and don't need the last one (smbumount), but I used to change skins without problem, even with those 3 SMB files!

so what is going on? is there some kind of log, or GP2X-ghost lurking on my nand, feeding on SNES roms, growing larger as time goes on?? What if GP2X becomes more like a PC, with SSH client, and more applications on nand?
I guess NAND is divided between Firmware-NAND and User-NAND? so can we 'simply' resize the firmware nand, since the usable NAND is quite useless?

reiboul posted on Aug 28 2006 at 07:53 AM said:
I guess NAND is divided between Firmware-NAND and User-NAND? so can we 'simply' resize the firmware nand, since the usable NAND is quite useless?

That's right! The NAND that you access directly from the GP2X Explorer is separated from the "Firmware-NAND". Before firmware 2.0, I believe they were still one "partition" and that was an undesirable feature. I think I read that at http://wiki.gp2x.org

"Firmware-NAND" can be seen through telnet with access as username root OR even samba!. Again, I learned how to connect through http://wiki.gp2x.org. It would be great for a programmer to understand the underpinnings of the GP2X OS hierarchy before slamming their keyboards.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Firmware NAND" looks a bit tight, as my unfortunate issue shows... that's why, instead of deleting the User NAND, resize it smaller, and give more space to the firmware NAND, so that we can easily put programs directly inside the NAND!
For example, I remembered a Video Player mod, which replace the original movie player on the nand, so that it launches directoly from the main menu, but what if GPH left only 200kb free on the firmware nand?

I don't know for you, but I never used User NAND, so i don't care wheter it is 50mb, or 2...

Back