Some Minor Caanoo News

sbock

Chaos is our mode and modus
I found a Caanoo 3D demo video. Not very exciting but take a look:

The demos seem to be made with the DGE (The GPH SDK).

At the Korean Wikipedia I found some infos:

-The Caanoo seem to use a Wolfson Microelectronics WM1800 soundchip instead of the Cirrus Logic chip which the Wiz (and the Leapfrog Didj) use.
-OpenAL (openal-soft-1.11.753)is announced as feature.
-The boot time is speed up from 23.xx seconds (Wiz) to 9.xx seconds (Caanoo).

http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caanoo

At gpain.com I found this infos:

The beta firmware is actually at 0.9.5. (The first Caanoo samples shipped with 0.7.5)

The TFT display is a TD-T350T1G199 from the Chinese company TCL.

Link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda interesting, will these demo files be available on the archive, or is there a copyright issue?
It looks like maybe they were made for the Wiz but work on the Caanoo, being pretty much the same guts.

The PSP also uses the Wolfson Microelectronics WM1800 for Sound.

This is very nice -> "-OpenAL (openal-soft-1.11.753)is announced as feature." !!

So I suspect, the Caanoo CPU has a floating-point unit, because OpenAL needs an FPU.

No, the Pollux SoC has no FPU. It has a 24 bit floating point unit in the graphic engine, but afaik this unit in not yet utilized.
Jan Nik already compiled OpenAl for the Wiz, so I guess a FPU is not needed. But the performance is not so good...

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,19,313

Andymanone uploaded another interesting Caanoo video showing terminal access:

You can see that GPH is now using CRAMFS and YAFFS filesystems instead of UBIFS.
The Caanoo EXT connector has the same pin-out as the Wiz.

sbock said:

nice, but is it shape-compatible with the bob board? i mean, does it fir in the commercial (the boxed one) bob board?

flag said:
sbock said:

nice, but is it shape-compatible with the bob board? i mean, does it fir in the commercial (the boxed one) bob board?

It uses the same plug as the Wiz but what do you mean with a boxed BoB? Only the GP2x had a boxed BoB. The Wiz only got a naked dev board as seen on the video...

sbock said:
flag said:
sbock said:

It uses the same plug as the Wiz but what do you mean with a boxed BoB? Only the GP2x had a boxed BoB. The Wiz only got a naked dev board as seen on the video...

i mean this one: http://gp2x.co.uk/gp2xcradle.png

can i hook my caanoo there? does it fit in the cradle?

That's the GP2x cradle (or BoB). It uses the same plug as Wiz/Caanoo but the pin-out is different.
Some clever guys at gp2x.de modded it to fit to the Wiz but out of the box it isn't usable...
There is no official cradle for the Wiz available.

Iorgy77 said:
flag said:

Thats a gp2x cradle, not a wiz cradle.

whoooops.... sorry, i'm a n00b here... :p
and what's the bob board compatible with caanoo?

just read sbock answer.... does it mean there's no JTAG option for wiz/caanoo?!?!?

flag said:
Iorgy77 said:
flag said:

Thats a gp2x cradle, not a wiz cradle.

whoooops.... sorry, i'm a n00b here... :p
and what's the bob board compatible with caanoo?

It's the developer board. It's not available in shops. GPH send it to selected devs only...

sbock said:
It's the developer board. It's not available in shops. GPH send it to selected devs only...

gosh... that _really_ sucks, i wanted a caanoo just to play with the firmware/kernel, but without a JTAG port
i won't even consider buying one... :(

I'm not sure JTAG is part of the dev board. The Wiz/Caanoo EXT port has JTAG pins but it's not needed. You can unbrick the units with a modified serial cable. I posted this before:

Link.

sbock said:
I'm not sure JTAG is part of the dev board. The Wiz/Caanoo EXT port has JTAG pins but it's not needed. You can unbrick the units with a modified serial cable. I posted this before:

Link.

Thanks, but the lack of a real JTAG is a show stopper for me...
but thanks again for the support.

sbock said:
That's the GP2x cradle (or BoB). It uses the same plug as Wiz/Caanoo but the pin-out is different.
Some clever guys at gp2x.de modded it to fit to the Wiz but out of the box it isn't usable...
I brought this question up before in another post, could it be done?
Neil L said:
Could a (cross wired) cable be made so I can connect my Wiz to my old GP2X cradle, so I can can use all the functions on the cradle, USB/TV out etc. (and maybe charging from one of the cradles USB ports as I've got a 5V power supply for the cradle). BTW: I still want to use the cradle for my F200.
I'm a bit stuck at the moment though as I've got a bricked Wiz. :( (See here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52996-help-win2x-problem-i-think/ )
If anybody can help please let me know, before I contact the AS centre. (Please answer on the above page, as I've sent this page off track a bit!)

Many thanks, Neil

Neil L said:
sbock said:

well, i dunno if modding the old cradle makes, but i just talked with 2 different guy from GPH and both have confirmed
that GPS is working an a dev board (JTAG&C) for the Caanoo, and that this board will be available from retailers worldwide. :D

they couldn't tell how much it will cost (since it's still a WIP), nor when it'll be available, but they hope it'll be ready
before end of year. let's hope so... :)

flag said:
Neil L said:
sbock said:

well, i dunno if modding the old cradle makes, but i just talked with 2 different guy from GPH and both have confirmed
that GPS is working an a dev board (JTAG&C) for the Caanoo, and that this board will be available from retailers worldwide. :D

they couldn't tell how much it will cost (since it's still a WIP), nor when it'll be available, but they hope it'll be ready

Well that's unexpected good news. Thanks for sharing.

sbock said:
flag said:

Well that's unexpected good news. Thanks for sharing.

actually they already said there would be a dev board, the news was buried in one thread on their facebook page.
They called the dev kit (board + sdk) Davvinci (yes, with a double vv), but i found it out only after asking... :p

Any news on whether or not the Caanoo supports the odd sample rates that didn't work on the wiz (11Kz, etc.)?

Back