Some Good Cheap Pc Wifi Card/key?

A_SN

So, I pretty much don't know shit about what's best when it comes to WiFi connections, anyways next march I'm moving to a city in a young worker room but there's no way I'm paying and ISP 30 €/month and so I'm counting on piggybacking any more or less open WiFi connection I find, but I have no idea what WiFi equipement to buy for my PC.

Considered I want it to be cheap but to work reliably (with Windows XP), and to be as powerful/sensitive as it can be for the price range I'm considering (the more sensitive the more choice I get), and all that, what should I buy? Some USB key? Some WiFi card? With some antenna? Any particular brand? Anything? What would you advise me?

Stop being a fag. Just cos you're as tight as a frog's arse, doesn't mean you should rely on other people paying for the privilege of having twats like you slow their internet down.

Nova posted on Feb 6 2007 at 10:41 PM said:
Stop being a fag. Just cos you're as tight as a frog's arse, doesn't mean you should rely on other people paying for the privilege of having twats like you slow their internet down.

STFU troll. Not to mention that lots of people gladly let their WiFi access open so that young twats like me who already have to pay 7 G's for a school and rent a flat and who don't get paid don't have to spend even more money on an internet access. Plus it's not even illegal.

Now if we could go back on topic, that'd be nice..

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Feb 7 2007 at 12:18 AM said:
tight as a frogs arse? How do you know how tight a frogs arse is? Have you personally experienced it?

A_SN: Dunno how this works (if it works, I'm very doubtful and sceptical), but it seems you'll be the perfect person to try it:
http://www.break.com/index/how_to_boost_wireless_signal.html

I'm not sure I got it all cause the guy spoke really fast, but it seemed to be about turning an ethernet cable into a wifi antenna, that would be directly connected to an ethernet port and without any WiFi equipement, which would be pretty retarded. I don't even see what else it could be..

Anyways, got any advices for real hardware?

well i use a little wifi usb dongle and it does fine for accesing my router but can't even find the starbucks just a 6 blocks away or the library just 5 blocks away. I don't know anything about wifi but what you said about an antenna made me think that maybe if you got a big enough antenna and attached it in the best way then you coul get like super range. I don't know though.

Also... Nova your retarded. There are public access points in many places, (like parks, librarys, coffee shops, even some entire city's will soon have free wifi access like san franciscofor example) not just unlocked connections from peoples private homes.

Shut up jackd, in the UK WIFI costs, pretty much anywhere, even in cafe's, and it does in alot of countries, but I'm sure being american you probably don't consider the fact that there could be other countries different from yours, eh? Don't forget he talked about the euro, so he isn't from around there.

If you are seriously going to be doing this then I'd reccommend the Netgear WG111 USB Dongle. From my house, when using it, I can pick up a pretty strong signal from 2-3 houses across, and combined with one of those pringles tins antenna thingummy bobs, you could probably extend that to a whole street.
Believe it or not, I know what it's like to be a poor student (trying to scrape together money for a car, insurance, lessons at the moment), and I guess i take it for granted that i get my internet provided for me by my parentals.

EDIT: Damn, that video was interesting, trick doesn't like my phone though

Nova posted on Feb 6 2007 at 04:39 PM said:
Shut up jackd, in the UK WIFI costs, pretty much anywhere, even in cafe's, and it does in alot of countries, but I'm sure being american you probably don't consider the fact that there could be other countries different from yours, eh? Don't forget he talked about the euro, so he isn't from around there.

If you are seriously going to be doing this then I'd reccommend the Netgear WG111 USB Dongle. From my house, when using it, I can pick up a pretty strong signal from 2-3 houses across, and combined with one of those pringles tins antenna thingummy bobs, you could probably extend that to a whole street.
Believe it or not, I know what it's like to be a poor student (trying to scrape together money for a car, insurance, lessons at the moment), and I guess i take it for granted that i get my internet provided for me by my parentals.

EDIT: Damn, that video was interesting, trick doesn't like my phone though
Dont even try to say that... I wasn't not considering other places, you were. You suddenly assumed that all wifi near him (europes fucking big, all europe isn't england) that was open would not be for the public. I simply gave an example of what its like around me. I don't know for sure if this is the case where he is but i was just trying to show an example of how in some places it doesn't make you a "fag" to try to get free wifi. You don't just start throwing out insults based on what things are like around you. Also... don't fucking insult my country, and definetly don't call me an American who's ignorant to the existance of other countries because ive lived in England.

So anyways, I did some research, and it seems that the TRENDnet TEW-423PI (PCI 802.11g/b card with a 2 dBi antenna) is pretty hot, and cheap (24 € shipping included, I'm in France by the way)

And since 2 dBi sucks, I might get a better omnidirectional antenna like a 10 dBi :p (saw one for 32 €)

A big antenna is no good if your wifi card isn't powerful enough to drive it :p

(It'll be like, sure, you can pickup the signals down the road from the library, but you can't actually transmit back to it!)

So factor that into the equation. . .

Jackd posted on Feb 7 2007 at 01:05 AM said:
Dont even try to say that... I wasn't not considering other places, you were. You suddenly assumed that all wifi near him (europes fucking big, all europe isn't england) that was open would not be for the public. I simply gave an example of what its like around me. I don't know for sure if this is the case where he is but i was just trying to show an example of how in some places it doesn't make you a "fag" to try to get free wifi. You don't just start throwing out insults based on what things are like around you. Also... don't fucking insult my country, and definetly don't call me an American who's ignorant to the existance of other countries because ive lived in England.

Sorry dude.

Back