Stuck on "Please login:"...

hmc

Hi guys,

I'm embarrased to be lost in the login screen. ;-)

Don't know what I did to make XFCE or even X inoperable.

The Pandora boots, then I get the warning message asking me, if I really want to set 1100 MHz again, or use the safe CPU speed, then some console messages flash by, and I end up in the login screen. When I attempt to log in, the login screen is shown again. Endless loop.

I tried to escape using Alt-F1 .. Alt-F7 (also tried Shift-Alt-F1 .. Shift-Alt-F7) to no avail.

It's a system on SD (SZ1.52) , booting into CLI mode with R shoulder key pressed boots the NAND system in CLI mode %-)

Maybe I'm just too tired to see the solution for effective debugging now... can you help me please?

Thanks!

Edit /etc/inittab and set:

id:5:initdefault:

to 1:

id:1:initdefault:

Then you can boot normally, it will go to CLI, then you can debug.

thanks! However, now when booting, it gets stuck at about 2/3 of the progress bar of the SuperZaxxon splash image.

Isn't there a way to disable that splash screen and observe the booting process' text messages?

In your (auto)boot.txt file, add psplash=false to the bootargs. That'll disable the splash screen and you can watch the dmesg output

Last edited by a moderator:
sure, but I wanted to avoid that, as I have customized quite a bit of my system... :-(

thanks for the tipps re the splash screen. will debug tomorrow. too tired now.

I've done this before when upgrading ncurses via Angtrom (our ncurses package has the binaries and the libraries, Angstrom splits it between a binary package and a library package, so updating ncurses deletes libncurses).

It's probably different in your case, since opkg no longer knows about Angstrom, but I just thought I'd mention it.

thanks...

debugging was not successful (my brain currently feels rusted, it's terrible!), so I restored the last backup of my root partition. Now everything works again.

awh, screw it. This should have been solvable rather easy without a backup. At least the first steps. You can exit the the slim-login-screen by writing "exit" as username, then press ALT+left/right until you see a console-login-prompt. Login as root (or first as user if you didn't set a root-password, then do "sudo su"). Then you are in the position to do stuff and if you want to try to login again, run "/etc/init.d/slim-init start".

Edit:

I noticed that the part with ALT+left/right does not work when I boot from NAND, but does when I use my SDcard. While I am not sure which changes I did to which system and thus can't tell which is the default behavior, there still was the following option to get to the console-login-prompt:

- exit slim-login like described above (type "exit"

- press and release fn then ALT+1 (which is the way to press ALT+F1)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for those hints! They will be very valuable the next time I have such problems.

I'm afraid that I currently simply lack patience to debug such stuff by myself. My head is full of other stuff, so I cannot even concentrate on such things very well. I hope for better times. ;-)

Back