[SOFTWARE] Portable-Ansible on Pandora (instructions)

FBnil

Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...
We have Python on the Pandora, that means that we can run Ansible on top of it.

Howto (ansible 2.8.0):

https://github.com/ownport/portable-ansible

Enable the Pandora's wifi or enable the network.
Go to a fresh new directory on your SD card and from there:

Code:
wget https://github.com/ownport/portable-ansible/releases/download/v0.3.0/portable-ansible-v0.3.0-py2.tar.bz2 -O ansible.tar.bz2
tar xvf ansible.tar.bz2
ln -s ansible ansible-galaxy
ln -s ansible ansible-playbook
After a while (many files to unpack) it will create a subdirectory called ansible (64MB) and a few symlinks that change the behavior.

Now time to test it (takes a while to load and return with an answer):
Code:
python ansible localhost -m ping
python ansible-galaxy search java
python ansible-playbook
Not sure what you can do with it on a Pandora. It is slow, but it works :)
If there is interest, I could make a pnd.

ansible_on_Pandora.jpg

Last edited:

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi all :)

@FBnil : nice ! Trying Ansible on the Pandora has been on my TODO list for a long time now (using it on a daily basis at work, nice piece of software IMHO). My plan would be to write Ansible roles for each of my few PNDs and push them to my GitLab repo, that would automate things nicely I guess. I'll give it a try ASAP. On a side note, are there any benefits from using that portable version over the "regular" one which should come with "pip install" in @ptitSeb Code::Blocks ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

FBnil

Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...
@Magic Sam Thanks for trying it out. Well, if you "pip install ansible" I guess you will get 2.8.5 (released a month ago) and the other one is stuck in 2.8.0 and probably will not be updated anymore for Python 2.7 (which will get out of support by 2020).
Otoh, when installing, say, new roles, you can use ansible-galaxy and you will get the latest-greatest on both platforms.

The Code::Blocks (all hail ptitSeb) already has Python3 and that python is more compatible with the current Ansible code. (but the strategy is that 2 still stays supported)
We'll have to do a benchmark to test if Python2.7 is faster than Python3 when running Ansible. My gut feeling says that Python3 is slower, but would you notice? Probably not (unless you got huuuge playbooks ;) ).