so... you won't be using your Pyra for emulation now will you?

My view on piracy laws has always been: "If it's not enforced, it doesn't exist". If I can still download files "illegally" and use them without any consequences, then I'm going to keep stocking up on them while I can. It's not my fault if companies are releasing their media in a way where it can easily be pirated. That's their responsibility to prevent that, not mine, which is also why I don't feel bad about blocking ads. Nobody actually cares about copyright laws except those who are already rich, so I don't feel sorry for them if I download something I wasn't going to buy any way.

I'm with Mr. Fellows. It's up to the companies to release their media in a way that is hard to pirate.

Microsoft: "We're calling your damn bluff. Take a look at our next-gen streaming-only console!"

Average gamer: "It keeps lagging! NOOOOOOO"

Microsoft: "It not our fault your internet connection sucks. Take it up with whichever evil corporation handles that one."

LOL @ streaming-only. Good luck if they try doing that as the only option. They would alienate so many customers that I would go as far as to say they would lose more customers than they would gain. Every time I've bought a game with overly protective DRM, I end up getting treated worse than the pirates who "steal" it. One time I went to play some PC games offline when my Internet was out, and all the games I paid for refused to run offline, even if they advertised an offline mode. All I could play were the pirated games I had.

Maybe if they addressed treating their customers like criminals, more people would buy the games with their crappy DRM on it?

See here:
The bit you want to watch runs for just shy of 2 minutes and starts at 14m in or so. But it's an interesting talk all in if you have the time.

And that predates the NES Mini I think, FWIW. That grab was taken from Wii VC, but it seems they're still selling what looks very like the same unofficial rom dumps on NES Mini also.

Reminds me of that one case where Ubisoft fucked up their DRM for Rainbow Six Vegas 2 so badly that they provided a "patch" to remove the DRM: a Reloaded crack they downloaded from the internet.

See here:
The bit you want to watch runs for just shy of 2 minutes and starts at 14m in or so. But it's an interesting talk all in if you have the time.

And that predates the NES Mini I think, FWIW. That grab was taken from Wii VC, but it seems they're still selling what looks very like the same unofficial rom dumps on NES Mini also.
I ended up watching more of the video. Interesting stuff, and I agree with a lot of what he was saying.

Not sure why anyone that likes games would support Microsoft. The same can probably be said of Nintendo.

The roms are so small for pre PS1 systems and they are out there. Nintendo can sue all they want, roms are never going to be hard to get. Look at the much lager files of music and movies, not hard to find. All this suing is pointless. Roms being available didn't hurt their classic systems sales at all. No one that was on the fence though 'I have these roms, I don't think I'll buy this SNES classic'.

Also, these are mainly old games they're talking about, not hurting them. When they do release classic games they make a crap ton of money, not sure what they're complaining about.

Illegal yes, finally destructive no.
Even with PS1, SD cards are starting to get to the size where it's feasible. If I had to guess, a full PS1 set from one region could fit on a 512 GB card. Sega Saturn would definitely fit with how much that system died, ditto with N64.

Hell, even NDS is possible, maybe even on a 256 GB card.

That said, obviously most people won't be trying to put a whole system on there, unless it's the really old stuff. You could stuff everything pre-32 bit onto a 32 GB card (or in this case, the Pyra's internal memory) with room to spare. Hell, the entire SNES/Megadrive (or Genesis) libraries could probably fit onto a single 4.7 GB DVD.

Same here. That doesn't change the fact that they do a lot more to harm or take advantage of their fans without really delivering the goods. I don't really consider them to be the type of evil corporation that I think of Microsoft as, I just wish they would stop fucking around with us.

To be fair, many people also think what Nintendo really nabbed them for were the images of Mario, Link, etc. which is a no-no to do for pretty much any ROM site.

We both know there's plenty of others that don't use the graphical assets.

Meh, everyone knows it's a never ending battle for Nintendo because when one site closes, two more just like it pop up.
bewahre-ruhe-und-heil-hydra.jpg

I will use my Pyra for:
-Netflix via HDMI on my TV,
-DVB-C Viewing and Recording,
-Compiling things
-WebBrowsing
-Gaming(Native Games,Emulators and Remote Play Moonlight from my Steam Games on PC)
-testing the Limits with a PS2 Emulator,Qemu X86 Emulation and other Things
-Watching Videos from my NAS Storage System
-with Sata Port...Video Editing/Cutting with AviDemux
-Messaging with Telegram and when anyone find a Way then WhatsApp too.
-Maybe use it as a Remote Controll with Lirc and an Infrared Dongle

and i will be Happy what the Community here Produce for nice Software,Things and Ideas...
..maybe someone make a "Game Grip" for the Pyra :)

@ingoreis netflix on linux -- does it work with firefox ootb? chrome was necessary for my setup a year or so ago (which i've been using successfully on an intel nuc, i.e. x86_64), but chrome is android only, not arm linux desktop.

Back