So Uhhh.. Dolphin is on Android

Needs 1GB of RAM and also is slow and crashy. Mayve wait a bit until it is more stable.

even with serious optimisation I doubt current technology phones can run that at a decent framerate, it looks like a nice technological demo/project name reservation for when we'll get some more powerful phones...

I'm not sure Dolphi will be useable or can show anything good on the Pandora. GameCube/Wii are a bit out of specs from the Pandora don't you think? I ay try one day to compile it, but not in the near future, too much things I''m already working on and not working to start another neverending project like that. When I've stabilised Allegro5 (demo works, but no real word software works, and mouse is broken for now), Ogre3D (GLES1 works, but not GLES2, and GLES1 as too few ability to be useable), Irrlicht (ok, almost OK for this one, but a GLES2 driver would be great) and SDL2 (works, but packagaging things looks complicated), I'll probably take a look....

GameCube/Wii are a bit out of specs from the Pandora don't you think?
I think it's out of spec of all actual android target, to me it is either:- a nice tech demo.

- a way to "claim" an application name while there's no competitor while waiting for powerful enough devices...

or both...

I would just like to point out that it clearly says it requires Open GL ES 3.0. No phones support that yet. However, the Galaxy S 4 (USA LTE versions only) do support that. There was a fundraiser on the Dolphin-Emu forums (that I contributed to) that raised money for the developer to buy an S4 unlocked so he could start optimizing the software. I suspect that in about 5-6 months, the S4 (and any other Snapdragon 600+ device) will be able to run Super Smash Bros Melee at 15fps which imo is totally playable

I would just like to point out that it clearly says it requires Open GL ES 3.0. No phones support that yet. However, the Galaxy S 4 (USA LTE versions only) do support that. There was a fundraiser on the Dolphin-Emu forums (that I contributed to) that raised money for the developer to buy an S4 unlocked so he could start optimizing the software. I suspect that in about 5-6 months, the S4 (and any other Snapdragon 600+ device) will be able to run Super Smash Bros Melee at 15fps which imo is totally playable
The Galaxy S 4 is using the totally awesome Exynos 5 Octa (5410).... so let's it's safe to assume the omap5 won't be nearly as powerful performance wise... and the current omap5 GPUs (SGX544MP2) don't have GLES3 support anyway.

So it's safe to say.. no dolphin for the P2  :(  (unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat).

Last edited by a moderator:

The Galaxy S 4 is using the totally awesome Exynos 5 Octa (5410).... so let's it's safe to assume the omap5 won't be nearly as powerful performance wise... and the current omap5 GPUs (SGX544MP2) don't have GLES3 support anyway.

So it's safe to say.. no dolphin for the P2  :(  (unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat).
Whle I agree that even the P2 likely cant handle dolphin, your information on the GS4 is incorrect. The European model had the big.LITTLE Exynos chipset, but thats still only a quad core processor. It has 8 cores but it can only use 4 of them at any one time. Further, the European one does not have the Snapdragon 600 chip (the US versions do) which supports Open GL ES 3.0 which is what is required for good performance in Dolphin. The Exynos chipset does not support 3.0 so only the US versions will work. Now, if someone were to somehow get GL ES 3.0 working on the P2, we could probably get playable framerates, but the Android phones of tomorrow will still greatly outpace the P2

Whle I agree that even the P2 likely cant handle dolphin, your information on the GS4 is incorrect. The European model had the big.LITTLE Exynos chipset, but thats still only a quad core processor. It has 8 cores but it can only use 4 of them at any one time. Further, the European one does not have the Snapdragon 600 chip (the US versions do) which supports Open GL ES 3.0 which is what is required for good performance in Dolphin. The Exynos chipset does not support 3.0 so only the US versions will work. Now, if someone were to somehow get GL ES 3.0 working on the P2, we could probably get playable framerates, but the Android phones of tomorrow will still greatly outpace the P2
The Exynos 5410 SOC totally supports "GLES3"... just not certified yet.. nor does Android support it.

If somebody has the talent to port it over once we have a P2... and they pull it off. *Future celebration*.

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-green-notice-development-thread-donations-for-dolphin-android-development?highlight=android

The Galaxy S 4 is using the totally awesome Exynos 5 Octa (5410).... so let's it's safe to assume the omap5 won't be nearly as powerful performance wise... and the current omap5 GPUs (SGX544MP2) don't have GLES3 support anyway.

So it's safe to say.. no dolphin for the P2 :( (unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat).
The Exynos 5410 SOC totally supports "GLES3"... just not certified yet.. nor does Android support it. also, all we need is a Notaz or exophase or some brogrammer with mad talent and we might have a working emulator.... that would be amazing news
Check out the dolphin forums. I'll post the link to the thread in a sec
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-green-notice-development-thread-donations-for-dolphin-android-development?highlight=android

From what I can tell, the Exynos 5 Octa does NOT support Open GL ES 3.0

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/258082-galaxy-s-iv-s-specifications-leak-confirm-exynos-octa-powervr-sgx-544mp.html

Which is why the developer of Dolphin needed to buy a US version instead of the European version.

And the Tegra 4 will support Open GL ES 4.3 which if I'm not mistaken, is backward compatable with all 3.0 calls.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6847/more-details-on-nvidias-kayla-a-dev-platform-for-cuda-on-arm

From what I can tell, the Exynos 5 Octa does NOT support Open GL ES 3.0

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/258082-galaxy-s-iv-s-specifications-leak-confirm-exynos-octa-powervr-sgx-544mp.html

Which is why the developer of Dolphin needed to buy a US version instead of the European version.

And the Tegra 4 will support Open GL ES 4.3 which if I'm not mistaken, is backward compatable with all 3.0 calls.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6847/more-details-on-nvidias-kayla-a-dev-platform-for-cuda-on-arm
Good point.. they jumped to the SGX. Sorry.

That article looks like the T4 has openGL 2.0 and the T5 will have full opengl 4.3 "This means that NVIDIA is shooting right past OpenGL ES 3.0, going from OpenGL ES 2.0 with Tegra 4 to OpenGL 4.3 with Logan/Kayla."

edit: Might be mistake on the tegra 4. "Tegra 4 / 4i processors do not explicitly support OpenGL ES 3.0 API due to not having a few features such as FP32 pixel shaders or EAC/ETC2 texture compression format support, but Tegra 4 / 4i processors do support many of the important ES 3.0 features" So if it supports full OpenGL 4.3 too.. that would be awesome.

And the Tegra 4 will support Open GL ES 4.3 which if I'm not mistaken, is backward compatable with all 3.0 calls.http://www.anandtech.com/show/6847/more-details-on-nvidias-kayla-a-dev-platform-for-cuda-on-arm

Tegra 4 won't support OGL ES 3. OGL ES 4.3 is not a thing, you mean OGL 4.3, which Tegra 4 won't support either. Nor will it support CUDA or OpenCL. The roadmap shows "Logan" getting these features but that's Tegra 5.
Ya, I realized after the fact that I did a really bad job scanning the article

Back