So, Nintendo's Labo? Thoughts & Opinions?

Jumpman

Advanced Member
I'm shocked this news is 5 days old, and no discussions around here yet. I guess the lack of interest/post might be the answer to my question, but still cool to discuss new "N" products. I'll see where the comments go before I chime in, but I will say this is rather creative, and as a kids product, seems pretty cool. Price? Now that's a different story entirely. LOL

Chris

Reminds me of that Rugrats episode where Stu orders them some huge toy, and they end up playing with the box all day.

Yeah, I don't see myself ever playing with these, but it is a cool idea.

Them are a little overpriced, but I think that I could have killed for something like this back in my days... I was creating EVERYTHING out of carboards.

My first PC and my first gaming console were just made out of cardboard and markers... well... the arcade console was interactive too, I was able to turn left and right the spaceship, so while scrolling the roll of paper with the asteroids I was able to avoid them !!!!
(Also the PC was portable and had an integrated joystick... I was able to control everything with it, even my personal invisible spaceship, that was also able to go underwater)

I don't know the mentality of young people today, I see in the stores EXACTLY the same boxed toys I used in the past (really the same things !!) despite all the consoles/smartthings that there are around, so I suppose that there is still some appreciation for this kind of "material" games.

I applaude to them, they are making the difference in the game market.

Reminds me of all those lousy wiimote attachments... I am not enthusiastic at all.

This is genious I think.
Cheap for them to produce. Kids have fun and opens up so much possibilities.
It's nothing for me but I think they will make tons of money with it.

Take that hi-tech VR stuff. Her comes a carboard robosuit that will make tons of profit :D

okay this made me feel like I was watching something magical, a feeling nintendo hasn't produced in me for a long time. I like the cardboard kids like look. It seems a bit like playing with a box and imagining you are in a spaceship becomes real :D truly awesome. Also: after the wii accessory flood, the world is in dire need of some recycled cardboard as video game accessories. Maybe they are trying to redeem themselves ^^.

I love the idea of it, it's great for kids aspiring to be engineers and adults to pretend to be Engineers.

Well done Nintendo

I think Ninitendo did a poor job in it's marketing not to make it clear it includes a game/SW cartridge and thats why it's priced as it is. Now you have a lot of people claiming Nintendo are charging $70 for cardboard

Ennhhhh. I mean I'm always willing to give Ninty the benefit of the doubt when it comes to finding new *FUN* applications for their products. Despite all the criticisms the Wii is still one of my fave consoles not for games really, but just because it was such an interesting collection of ideas that really stuck with me and influenced so many console trends. I fear that Labo will -like the Wii- be a number of really interesting ideas and concepts that are ultimately in service of nothing. The hope I have is that this attempt will have a ripple effect as competitors start to find more interesting applications for blending real and virtual experiences.

I'm sure it's fun and I think it will be really interesting to see what will come of it, but at first glance it offers very little that excites me personally. I know there will be many who find this a fascinating product, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up selling very well.

I can't help but feel that this is the R.O.B. of the Switch.

I love the idea of it, it's great for kids aspiring to be engineers and adults to pretend to be Engineers.

Well done Nintendo
Yeah, I felt like everyone was saying it wasn't for me since I am an old goat instead of a kid. I to it is pretty cool, and I would like to try some of them.

The Idea is pretty cool, but its mostly for children,
Its cool to see, thy combinied the easyest way to make a children happy (playing and building things out of cardboard), and the expensiest way (Video Game Consoles) in one Playset..

That's Nintendo, thinking about making good and fun game at a rational cost, versus others making consoles with stats in mind rather than gamer fun...

26805111_2188836011130379_7594634116870242341_n.png

I like the concept of it. and I showed my wife the announcement video and she saw the potential and "got it" straight away... my wife is kind of a technophobe and doesn't understand gaming.
I think my son would love to play with this sort of thing. I too think the price is quite high for what is a game + some cardboard, but I read that replacement pieces are free?

I also think this has the potential to be used for education purposes.

Them are a little overpriced, but I think that I could have killed for something like this back in my days... I was creating EVERYTHING out of carboards.

My first PC and my first gaming console were just made out of cardboard and markers... well... the arcade console was interactive too, I was able to turn left and right the spaceship, so while scrolling the roll of paper with the asteroids I was able to avoid them !!!!
(Also the PC was portable and had an integrated joystick... I was able to control everything with it, even my personal invisible spaceship, that was also able to go underwater).

Growing up in southern California, we had a place called Old Towne Mall in Torrance, rather close to Del Amo Mall. OTM was better than Disneyland to me as a kid, as they had rides in the mall, as well as all these "creative" shops. It was like going to an amusement park, county fair, and crafts festival all rolled in to one. Every time I would go there, I would see stuff that inspired me to come home and create stuff. Sadly, I sucked, so most of my creations never made it to your levels, but for those kids who have that spark, the sky's the limit with something like Labo.

I think Ninitendo did a poor job in it's marketing not to make it clear it includes a game/SW cartridge and thats why it's priced as it is. Now you have a lot of people claiming Nintendo are charging $70 for cardboard

Yeah, I think most around the web know that software is included, but knowing "N" past, most games for something like this is going to be rather basic, and not include much. Of course they haven't shown much of the Robot package, so it's not known how much of a game will be there, or how much there will be to do. For me, it appears to be a $20 software, which then makes the cardboard $50. Of course, anyone can split the cost how they like, but either way, I'm not seeing the value. The software is either more costly, which is fine if there's a lot included, but if it's a basic package, then the cardboard becomes most of the cost, which is insane. Now in their defense, not all cardboard's are create equal, and of course what they offer will need to be as durable as possible, and still be able to be crafted, and I'm sure its not gonna be cheap. So it may not be that bad, but it sure looks that way on the surface. LOL

When this was first announced, most fans where up in arms, but before it was shown, "N" made very clear it was a product for kids. So they did their best to keep hopes in check. I thought it was cool, and one of the more creative things I've seen from them in years, that may serve a long term purpose(hopefully it's not done with and buried within 12 months). And I knew my son would love it, and of course once he saw the video, he hasn't stop talking about it.

I've actually said how I would like to see this in a more adult form, where they offer BT controlled actuators, gears, etc., Then have more durable building materials like plastic, metal or wood to make more detailed models("N" themed stuff of course). Mario Karts, Pilot Wings type stuff that can drive and fly, and aren't limited to the actual joy-cons. As I see the JC as being limited in what can be offered, as it's all in what levels of rumble they can use, along with the sensor. Of course if they are charging $70 for cardboard, and more than likely a basic program. What I'm asking for would be in to the hundreds easily, so maybe not feasible, but if Labo does well, it's something to look in to.

"N" was a successful toy company before entering video games, so this just looks like a return to that. And if it can help bring in funds for more creative games to be offered over the life of the NS, I'm all for it.

Chris

You complain about 70$?
That's what a standar XboX game costs + day 1 DLC + Pay to win content.
And a not so special special edition with uncreative useless crap often costs even more.

Reactions: ___
Back