So, Nintendo's Labo? Thoughts & Opinions?

You complain about 70$?
That's what a standar XboX game costs + day 1 DLC + Pay to win content.
And a not so special special edition with uncreative useless crap often costs even more.

What if one had complains also to that ?
Damn... In the past, boxes, transport and production was really more difficult and costly than now, there were also really LESS sold copies, but still now I see the same prices... and sometimes downloadable-only contents costs even more than the boxed counterparts...

At least I can see more value to something material that required some kind of different development... and gives also more value to the console itself.

I still wonder why they abandoned the Wiimote technology anyway... there are still no others devices like that around, and it could have been redesigned even better, maybe as a supported accessory for all their future consoles...

I still wonder why they abandoned the Wiimote technology anyway... there are still no others devices like that around, and it could have been redesigned even better, maybe as a supported accessory for all their future consoles...
Probably because it was still supported on the WiiU (in its motionplus guise at least) but there are only 7 games that even support it on that platform (for extra players normally), with only 4 of those actually requiring it for some functionality.

Don't the JoyCon have the same functionality than the Wii mote?
The infrared sensor was crap when the TV was ad a bad spot. It often failed for me.

Don't the JoyCon have the same functionality than the Wii mote?
The infrared sensor was crap when the TV was ad a bad spot. It often failed for me.
I don't know, can them be used as a mouse ?

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure everything the Wiimote had, the Joy-Cons have as well, only 10x better. I haven't tried them across as many games as I did on the Wii, but the ones I've used on the NS so far have worked rather well. IMO, the NS is what the Wii U should have been, and the Joy-Cons are what the Wiimote should have been.

Of course the Wiimote was the main feature of the Wii, and most definitely the key to that systems success. But for me, it's the main reason I hardly ever play the Wii anymore, and why I stopped playing many games on that system during it's life. As I couldn't stand how poorly it worked 95% of the time. For motion controls it was always hit & miss, and then as a standard controller, it was nothing more than a wireless NES pad(A,B buttons w/D-Pad). For every step forward it took, it was another 3 back for me.

Even if you never use the Joy-Cons as a camera, sensor, pointer, etc. They function perfectly as a standard dual analog stick set-up. Now of course, they aren't without issues. As they don't have analog triggers(will "N" ever not **** something up?), and the lack of a true d-pad is another pretty big issue. Of course they offer the Pro-Controller that fixes the D-Pad issue, but the analog triggers are still a problem, and of course that controller is $70. Now this wouldn't be bad if they offered a system option without the JC, and allowed for the Pro, but it doesn't. So they pretty much make you buy extra rather expensive things to fix their own short comings. But for anyone who knows "N", your used to this type of shit, so it's nothing new.

Chris

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure everything the Wiimote had, the Joy-Cons have as well, only 10x better. I haven't tried them across as many games as I did on the Wii, but the ones I've used on the NS so far have worked rather well. IMO, the NS is what the Wii U should have been, and the Joy-Cons are what the Wiimote should have been.

Of course the Wiimote was the main feature of the Wii, and most definitely the key to that systems success. But for me, it's the main reason I hardly ever play the Wii anymore, and why I stopped playing many games on that system during it's life. As I couldn't stand how poorly it worked 95% of the time. For motion controls it was always hit & miss, and then as a standard controller, it was nothing more than a wireless NES pad(A,B buttons w/D-Pad). For every step forward it took, it was another 3 back for me.

Even if you never use the Joy-Cons as a camera, sensor, pointer, etc. They function perfectly as a standard dual analog stick set-up. Now of course, they aren't without issues. As they don't have analog triggers(will "N" ever not **** something up?), and the lack of a true d-pad is another pretty big issue. Of course they offer the Pro-Controller that fixes the D-Pad issue, but the analog triggers are still a problem, and of course that controller is $70. Now this wouldn't be bad if they offered a system option without the JC, and allowed for the Pro, but it doesn't. So they pretty much make you buy extra rather expensive things to fix their own short comings. But for anyone who knows "N", your used to this type of shit, so it's nothing new.

Chris

The JoyCon can do a mouse pointer purely with Gyro. There is no sensor bar to keep them oriented where forward is, however.
If you think about the motion plus games on the Wii, where you have to press A in the centre of the screen before starting to play, that's how JoyCon can do "mouse" pointer. I think World of Goo, Little Inferno, etc let you use this.

The JoyCon have a serious connection problem.

My Switch is behind the TV and I'm away about 2-3 meters.
They already have a bad connection and don't work properly. The Pro Controller works fine.
That's not acceptable for me and why I would rather buy a second Pro controller instead of a second pair JoyCon.

The point and click features of the WiiMote, though not incredibly useful for gameplay (it was rare they felt right, even in FPS) was about as close as I think console gaming will ever get to mouse/keyboard experience. I still much prefer the interface of the Wii (menus, buttons, etc) to anything in modern console UI.

The point and click features of the WiiMote, though not incredibly useful for gameplay (it was rare they felt right, even in FPS) was about as close as I think console gaming will ever get to mouse/keyboard experience. I still much prefer the interface of the Wii (menus, buttons, etc) to anything in modern console UI.

The gyro aiming in Splatoon, Zelda, etc. works a lot better than the Wii mote ever did to me.
I even used that way to aim now on my Steam Controller in Shadow of Mordor.

The gyro aiming in Splatoon, Zelda, etc. works a lot better than the Wii mote ever did to me.
I even used that way to aim now on my Steam Controller in Shadow of Mordor.

I'm not sure I completely agree. The Wii aiming seemed a little more full field whereas the Switch (or Steam Controller) motion aiming is a little more acute in its use; it's only for fine adjustment. And yeah I agree, it feels a lot more useful than the Wii aiming method, but thats because it benefits from having an analog stick for its coarse adjustment.

FarCry, Conduit and Medal Of Honour: H2 on the wii was a lot of fun and I always found the aiming to be really tight. I'm not sure it wasn't just aim assist, but I was able to play some really intense matches with friends. The way these games accomplished turning was TERRIBAD though. Your cursor had to stay at the edge of the screen and it took forever. So many times I got rocked by a competitor behind me. Conduit let you have a lot of adjustments, I almost got it feeling right.

This is all my opinion though, I appreciate that your milage may vary.

I'm not sure I completely agree. The Wii aiming seemed a little more full field whereas the Switch (or Steam Controller) motion aiming is a little more acute in its use; it's only for fine adjustment. And yeah I agree, it feels a lot more useful than the Wii aiming method, but thats because it benefits from having an analog stick for its coarse adjustment.

FarCry, Conduit and Medal Of Honour: H2 on the wii was a lot of fun and I always found the aiming to be really tight. I'm not sure it wasn't just aim assist, but I was able to play some really intense matches with friends. The way these games accomplished turning was TERRIBAD though. Your cursor had to stay at the edge of the screen and it took forever. So many times I got rocked by a competitor behind me. Conduit let you have a lot of adjustments, I almost got it feeling right.

This is all my opinion though, I appreciate that your milage may vary.

I was a kid and the TV of my Parent's house was ad a suboptimal position.
When there was bad light the Wii mote went crazy because the sun did interact with the infra red sensor. I didn't know that at that time and thought my Wii mote was broken.
Also I like to chill on the couch while gaming and not to point with my Wii mote onto the screen .
I can use the gyroscope wherever I like and form whatever position I'm at.

So it's a matter of preference as you said.
I'm happy that at least this time my preferred option survived :p

I normally have a problem with the wiimote because the sensor bar has fallen off whatever it was last situated on, or because I'm standing too near to the small screen I use for my Wii.

I used the Wiimote only for one day, just to try it on the PC, and I just used 2 candles under the monitor (because I had no sensor bar)... and seemed to me quite responsive, it just lost coordinates like 2 times in a day of use, but only when I was moving it too fast around me

The JoyCon have a serious connection problem.

My Switch is behind the TV and I'm away about 2-3 meters.
They already have a bad connection and don't work properly. The Pro Controller works fine.
That's not acceptable for me and why I would rather buy a second Pro controller instead of a second pair JoyCon.

Yeah, the JC had technical issues out the gate, but the connection issues where solved, and just require a warranty return for the issues to be fixed. Unless of course your issues aren't part of the normal problems they had, then a return might not be an easy fix after all.

Honestly, I always found the Wiimote to be lacking, and the tech was just half baked for me and never worked as it should. I've seen so many comments online over the years, that those of us who don't love the Wiimote must have been using it wrong, or never got past the learning curve? What complete and utter BS those comments are. I've been gaming since "gaming" began, and I've used every control scheme possible in 40 years. And without a doubt, the Wiimote for me is hands down the worst commercially released controller of all time. There are worse efforts in the market for sure, but those are limited in there releases, as well as not being required.

I normally have a problem with the Wiimote because the sensor bar has fallen off whatever it was last situated on, or because I'm standing too near to the small screen I use for my Wii.

Sensor bar, range, TV size, hand movements, etc are all factors in how well the Wiimote works, and for me it's just about the worst controller ever created. I was so happy to see one gen past the Wii, that motion controls where all but gone and forgotten as the useless gimmick they always appeared to be. And everyone who was quick to hop on the bandwagon, realized the error of their ways, and buried their products as well. Sony still has theirs, but it's pretty much only for VR use at this point, and is understandable as being needed for that.

Chris

c53.png

Back