SNESEmu Savegames

frolik

Bass Invader
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I got my gp32 just the other week, best damn thing since I got my C64 all those years ago!!! :D :D

A question about SNESEmu; Can it save back the in-game memory to the SMC? It seems to save them all the time you are running it (even when switching between games) but once you reset the unit, they re gone..

I guess it's probably something not implemented yet, but could someone let me know if it should work?

I clocked an hour and a half gametime on chrono trigger before finding this out- gutted! :(

cheers

frolik.

PS. I realise that Snes9x will work with savegames, but it's just not fast enough for CT

Snesemu doesn't support saves, and probably never will because Zardoz has moved on to other things. I play CT all the time on the 166 mhz version of Snes9xgp, I think frameskip 3.

Snes9x != Snesemu; it supports saves but is a lot slower. Although these days its very playable (Earthbound rocks, except when more than 10 or so people on the screen at once). Only without sound :(

Personally, I suspect it might be possible to save in SnesEMU, but only through someone writing what would effectively be a GP32 emu for GP32 with savestate support. Which is a little unlikely...

So are you all using the overclocked snes9x?

Thanks for the tip, it seems stable @ 144Mhz (3fskip+no sound=playable).. Though I don't think it will go much higher judging by testing other emu's at higher speeds without luck.

Bionic Bill: Do you set your own button mappings? I think all buttons have a function but I haven't worked it all out yet.. can you recommend a setting?

You'll probably want to try all clockspeed variations you can, and make sure your batteries are fresh.

cool, I'll try it with full batteries see what happens

Are you saying that I should try I higher clocked snesemu even if the slower one fails? Don't want to overheat this baby too much (reminds me of my athlon chip frying nightmare...!! :blink: )

Well, I don't really know for sure what makes overclocking fail. I've heard it has something to do with ram quality, but I can't imagine anyone knows for sure. So you might as well try different speeds just in case.

No one knows if overclocking damages your gp32 in any way. For a while there were rumors about LCD screen burnout or something, but no one has ever experienced this so far as I know. I for one play SNES and Genesis at 166 on a regular basis, so I guess I'd be the first to know.

So yeah, I'd say try different clock speeds, but if it is the RAM quality thing there's not much of a chance of a higher speed working better than a lower speed.

I would personally reccomend just trying fresh batteries and different speeds. I have never heard of any pda (gp32 and ipaq = arm cpu) getting fried EVER. Even the new xscales OC'd to 600 mhz, not one person on brighthand, pdapassion or pda street has EVER posted (that i have seen) about a fried pda becuase of overclocking. you would feel the case get hot WAY before the chip would melt/burn. You would notice glitches in graphics as well, being as the screen controler is in there heating up too. So i really dont think you could actually hurt your gp32 by overclocking to at least 156mhz, if not 166. The least that would happen is that it would freeze and you hould have to reset.

DISCLAIMER: i've OC'd Ipaqs, Casios and computers. Im not responsible if you take these statements too far.

Good luck B)

I've never heard of a recent CPU chip that can overheat from overclocking only by 33MHz. I've also never heard of people who would overclock a PC by only 33MHz.

The Samsung chip runs cool, so there is no danger of overheating from only overclocking by 33MHz or so. Newer CPUs for PCs only have some danger from overclocking because they were designed with an increase in GHz in mind, not safety. In fact, the entire Pentium 4 design was made just so they could get to 3 GHz A.S.A.P. However, the P4 has speed throttling, meaning it'll try to slow down if it gets too hot, so the only real danger today is the Athlon, which will still fry without the proper ventillation.

Cheers guys

New batteries seemed to do the trick, I've found the snes9x runs at 156Mhz max. Which is good enough to get a good speed out of most games.

What you're all saying makes sense about the overclocking, I doubt it could get damaged as I'm sure it would have already happened and been hot gossip. The only downside being power consumtion, it definately drains em faster.

Would have replied earlier but have been testing Chrono Trigger thoroughly!!

frolik.

Back