Snes: Squidgesnes 0.34

Miknal

Stupid quick question.

For some reason I can't figure out the SNES: SquidgeSNES 0.34 emulator, where do you put the roms? It says in the read me to put it in the roms file, but where is this?

I just downloaded Reesy's version of Squidgesnes. It only came with 2 gpe, squidgesnes.gpe and squidesneshack.gpe. I went to go launch Squidgesnes from the Game menu launcher but it brings up a black screen and then goes back to the main system menu of the system.

Anybody have suggestions?

i cant work out how to do ANYTHING :(

the games i want to play (quake, quake2, doom, duke3d) just simply dont work, all i get is a black screen....

i cant work out the snes emulator either, the .gpe files dont even show up....and i cant play any .smc files.....

im not overly impressed with the gpx2 tbh, ive had it nearly 8 hrs, and i cant do a single thing on it....

sum1 help please :(

bernwa posted on Aug 24 2006 at 03:40 PM said:

the games i want to play (quake, quake2, doom, duke3d) just simply dont work, all i get is a black screen....

i cant work out the snes emulator either, the .gpe files dont even show up....and i cant play any .smc files.....

im not overly impressed with the gpx2 tbh, ive had it nearly 8 hrs, and i cant do a single thing on it....

I dont mean to be rude, but I just want to say one thing: This is a whole community who loves this little handheld. The majority here plays snes im sure, so clearly YOU are the one who's doing something incorrectly ;)

Now, here's a bit of info that will help you for ages to come: read the readme. Most things available for download have one.

Now, on to your problem. The games such as duke3d and doom require the actual game files to run. The download you have is merely an interpreter. It's clear in the read me. If you dont have the actual game files of dont know how to get them, feel free to PM me and I can help.

With squidgesnes, you need the .gpe file, and a skin folder. Then you need to place the roms in the proper directory. Again, please read the readme.

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 24 2006 at 02:57 PM said:
Again, please read the readme.

I love readmes, and they love me.

Slightly OT but I didn't want to make a new thread!
Guys what mhz are you overclocking to in order to get Mario Kart running nicely?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 24 2006 at 08:57 PM said:
bernwa posted on Aug 24 2006 at 03:40 PM said:

I dont mean to be rude, but I just want to say one thing: This is a whole community who loves this little handheld. The majority here plays snes im sure, so clearly YOU are the one who's doing something incorrectly ;)

Now, here's a bit of info that will help you for ages to come: read the readme. Most things available for download have one.

Now, on to your problem. The games such as duke3d and doom require the actual game files to run. The download you have is merely an interpreter. It's clear in the read me. If you dont have the actual game files of dont know how to get them, feel free to PM me and I can help.

With squidgesnes, you need the .gpe file, and a skin folder. Then you need to place the roms in the proper directory. Again, please read the readme.

ok point taken, and tbh i aint really had time to play around coz of work and stuff.

you say the .smc files need to go in the proper directory, which is what exactly? the readme states that they need to go in the "roms" folder, which ive tried to no avail. ive also tried changing the path that the emulator looks for the roms in, which doesnt work either.....

i shall have a play over the weekend and keep my progress posted...

:)

I believe you need to create a folder titled "snes" (no quotes) inside of the rom folder.

Then, when the emulator is running, change the absolute rom path so rom files are looked for by the emulator in the folder you just made.

See if that helps :)

ive manged to get it to recognise the roms!!!! it was my own blatent stupidity that held me back :)

is it normal for snes games to be running at a frankly shite fps? i cant really stand anything lower than 30, and its really irritating me :(

and could anyone help me to get the MAME roms working? i seem to be stumped, do the files need to go in their own folder in the MAME/roms directory? or do they need to go in the roms/MAME folder in the sd root directory?

please help...

:unsure:

bernwa posted on Aug 26 2006 at 02:29 PM said:
ive manged to get it to recognise the roms!!!! it was my own blatent stupidity that held me back :)

is it normal for snes games to be running at a frankly shite fps? i cant really stand anything lower than 30, and its really irritating me :(

and could anyone help me to get the MAME roms working? i seem to be stumped, do the files need to go in their own folder in the MAME/roms directory? or do they need to go in the roms/MAME folder in the sd root directory?

please help...

:unsure:
Glad to see you got it to recognize the roms :). If you are using the new version (.37 with the MMU hack I believe), then speed should be greatly increased. Here's a link to it in the file archive:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1295

If you overclock a bit, usually to 260 or so, you can have a lot of full speed games. I know for a fact Super mario world is full speed and is near perfect for me.

Try that and see if it helps. If you need help over clocking, let me know.

edit: forgot about mame. MAME roms go zipped/unzipped in the roms folder provided with the emulator. I think you can change that by editing the config, but i dont know how right now, so i think doing it this way is OK.

Keep in mind that only the roms listed on the rom list (file included in the emu folder) work so confirm that before trying a game.

Back