Smartq 5 Mid

femngi said:
The iPhone may be growing a large game library but most of it is shovelware, eventually people will get bored of popping bubbles by touching the screen in the same way Snake II amused the world for 5 minutes.
Tell Hideo Kojima that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this thing was released, but in chinese only. Has anyone found out when they will release the english version? .. I think 100€ or so is a perfect price for a device like that and ubuntu on top of that, nice!

'Nova' said:
No, because games are at most, about $5. Casual gamers are picking up the iPod and iPhone because they don't have to lug around a games console and games, when they can just use their PMP.

And The Gadget Show, a TV series in the UK also came to this conclusion.

So no, in my opinion, Ipod games do not "= FAIL"
As somebody who watched that program and owns all three of those machines (Ipod Touch, Nintendo DS and PSP) I think that their conclusion was premature - Jason says he spent two weeks with the machines which is not nearly long enough to know them well.

After two weeks, for example, the novelty of accellerometer based games totally wore off (though I was initially very delighted and impressed just like Jason and thought 'Hey, this is totally the future'). In that time I also became became very familiar with the stupidly short battery life for anything gaming or 3D accelerated.

Personally, I would say they come out about even. With the crap battery life though, the iPod Touch certainly doesn't win out.

If you can't accept that the Ipod Touch/I phone are being marketed as multi media entertainment devices (of which games are a part), and that people are specifically buying them to play games (and watch films and listen to music), you've got your head so far up your arse its unbelievable!

People who buy the ipod touch do not buy it for the games. The millions sold pre-app store prove this. If they happen to get games, great.

If you actually want games, you get REAL gaming device. Maybe there is some overlap, but for the VAST majority of the market, that is the case.

And the English release is looking to be sometime in April. Probably the 30th, seeing how they stretched "March" as long as they could. :p

Any devs wanna port some stuff to this, like PSX? It uses the same SOC class as the ipod touch/iphone, a port of PSX4iphone would not be out of the question if a dev cared enough, correct?

'maxSteiner' said:
If you can't accept that the Ipod Touch/I phone are being marketed as multi media entertainment devices (of which games are a part), and that people are specifically buying them to play games (and watch films and listen to music), you've got your head so far up your arse its unbelievable!
Not sure if you're addressing me or not. Yes it's marketed, used and probably bought as a gaming device - but I bet more than a few customers will feel let down by the device's shortcomings.

'Nova' said:
And The Gadget Show, a TV series in the UK also came to this conclusion.
That Jason guy cracks me up :p.

Oh, and games on the iPhone is just a matter of opinion, so this is going nowhere.

Game play sucks on the iphone.
PERIOD
PERIOD
I don't care if Konami, Atari, Namco, Capcom, and your Mom all started developing games for it.

Touch screen and the accelerometer just don't cut it compared to a regular dpad/button scheme.
I've tried folks.

For all those people out there downloading these games, they are trying too.

Zod's Quake 1 is on of the best play control games I've found, and that's hacked iware.

All you people defending Apple and its "marketing" should just move your asses to the Bay Area of Cupertino, hell, when there is a developer conference going on, you might just be asked to develop when heading to the bar for some pizza and a few beers. All because I had a waterproof case for my hacked iphone. You Sapps would fit in well if you love your ipod games. Suckers

So what they are selling games for $5 a pop, because with a touchscreen, they aren't worth more than that.

Kids, youth, uneducated people with $ are what makes ipods/iphones thrive. It isn't ease of use or data transfer, but yeah, the marketing works when you walk out of the subway in SF and all you see are ipod billboards for your entire half mile walk to the surface. Tis the same reason itunes sells more music than Walmart.

The only reason I bought an iphone was because at the time I needed internet access and email, but didn't want a full blown PC or laptop. I like it still for THAT, but for gaming, I'll power up my GP2X or Pandora. Waiting on the latter for some reason. Let's see if this Dingoo makes it here before I hop on a jetplane.

Peace

Link

I'm bringing back this topic from the grave to ask if someone has bought a Smart Q 5 device and what he/she thinks about it. Not much info about it on the web although it has been released 3 months ago. Is there a board out there about this machine, just to get some feedback ?

I'm also interested in its big brother, the Q 7...

Thanks ! :)

the thing is worthless without "DaveC" approved controls.
AFAIK it supports USB gamepads through USB host mode. It doesn't have 3D drivers for Linux, though. Someone from the Mer team wants to write drivers for it, the necessary info for doing this is available.

DID YOU READ MY COMMENT? the thing is worthless without DaveC approved controls.
And what does the author want to express with his comment?
i don't think you're understanding what i'm saying. i said it's worthless without DaveC approved gaming controls. you then said it supports USB gamepads through USB host mode, creating two obvious flaws. the first being it will be impossible for it to be played with just two hands. secondly, unless you want to use the pandora as a USB gamepad, the USB gamepad will not have gaming controls approved by DaveC!

Ok, now I get it :) I'm sure that there is a USB gamepad out there worth to get the DaveC seal ;) to eliminate at least one flaw. I must admit, that I thought about getting a SmartQ 5. I'm a slate fan and appreciate such a design without too many controls taking up space. For surfing it's ideal. It isn't that hard to hack together some form of USB controller attachment, either. The biggest flaw of the SmartQ is its relative weakness compared to Pandora for example. The biggest plus of the Q5 is its hackability, that makes it quite tempting besides its extremely low price.

Back