Slackware won't start\boot

Solstar

i followed this guide http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/10548-slackware14rc3-for-pandora-pretty-easy-install-for-windows-users/ to the letter,downlaoded this fiel as suggested by the guide ,http://mcobit.openpandora.org/PandoraSlackware/Slackware14RC5.imz,and when i put the sd into my pandora,it just boots into the super zaxxon as usual.. iread somewhere else to hold r while booting to choose to boo tfrom sd,but when i do so,i don't have the option to boot from sd,only a couple of boot option with usb,serial etc but no sd.any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should not have to hold R for the OS to start.

What is your SD card, size, brand ?

Can you check your card partitions under Zaxxon with cfdisk ?

i reformatted the sd as exfat and now it works...strange..anyway i tried to run a pnd app with the pnd manager but it says that the volume must be mounted first..which is of course..i reaf on the slackware official topic that you mentioned something about mounting sd but i cant find t anywhere

you mean the green shaped V?i click it and nothing changes

i posted here the out file for the gameboy emulator gambatte as an example,but any other emu i tried just give the same .out file

also,i don0t know why when i shut it down,and when i turn it on,it ALWAYS makes a sort of checkdisk because it says that it found some errors even if i haven't done anything!its the 3rd time i have to reinstall the whole thing.seriously i just reinstalled it ,it boots fine,i turn it off,and then the whole chldsk again,.at some point it sayst hat i can either:press ctrl-d to access the os normally(which i did,and instead it restes all over again)or iputting the password for an admin prompt,which works buti don't knwo any commands to going on

20121228_1351061999838711.jpg

I'm afraid your SD card may not be Linux filesystem friendly.

What is the brand/model ?

About pnd, try to launch picodrive or pcsx rearmed. They work flawlessly.

yeah its one of the supported models.here's what i discovered:i have two sd.one of them has been dedicated only to slackware,the other has all the pandora stuff on it.but!the one sd i used for slackware,was previously used for pandora as well,so i brought all the apps and appdata to this sd to the second one.the second one had already 3 or 4 apps on it .now when i start slackware,i realized that teh apps i brought over from the old sd,doesn't work with the issues above.while the 3 or 4 apps i had in the second sd works fine under slackware.so i suppose its a matter of paths...its strange though as they ALL works ok in zaxxon

Hello there,

I have sort of the same problem with getting slackware to boot/start.

(No Option to boot from SD while holding the Right-Shoulder Button as well)

When I start my Pandora just the usual way (Powering it on) :

It just boots the usual (latest) Super Zaxxon Version.

I have to mention that my SD Card is a "Transcend 32 GB SDHC" card.

(I have looked into the compatibility list for SD Cards and I m a bit confused. It says "No and Yes" at once for that card)

My Current partition table is (read that with gparted since cfdisk returns me an error message ?) :

unallocated - unallocated - 4.00 MiB

/dev/mmcblk0p2 - ext2 - /media/SLACK - SLACK - 27,73 GiB - 5,51 GiB - 22.12 GiB

/dev/mmcblk0p3 - fat32 - 2.00 GiB - 4.01 MiB - 2.00 GiB

/dev/mmcblk0p1 - linux-swap - 512.00 MiB

I have edited my /etc/fstab file the following :

# Openpandora fsbat.

/dev/mmcblk0p2   /                                       auto    defaults,noatime                1  1

proc                     /proc                                proc    defaults                              0  0

devpts                  /dev/pts                           devpts mode=0620,gid=5              0  0

usbfs                    /proc/bus/usb                  usbfs   defaults                              0  0

tmpfs                    /var/volatile                      tmpfs   defaults                              0  0

tmpfs                    /dev/shm                         tmpfs   mode=0777                        0  0

tmpfs                    /media/ram                      tmpfs   defaults                              0  0 

/dev/mmcblk0p3   /dev/hd0                          auto    defaults                              0  0

/dev/mmcblk0p1   swap                                swap   defaults                              0  0

# The /boot kernel volume on the OpenPandora NAND.

#ubil:boot               /boot                                 /ubifs   defaults                            0  0

Have I done something wrong ? =S

EDIT : I have used the way F_SLIM supported in his post to install/prepare my SD Card for Slackware

i suppose its a sd problem,since i just bought an sandisk turbo 16 gb card,and it works flaswlessly there,rebooted like 5 times and still perfectly working,so yeah its a matter of card unfortuantely

Ah okay,

thats great to know...

Im going to browse through the compatibility list again to find a proper working one as well then... ^^

Thanks for your reply !

And the partition scheme was wrong. /dev/mmcblk0p1 has to be ext2 as /dev/SLACK

And the partition scheme was wrong. /dev/mmcblk0p1 has to be ext2 as /dev/SLACK
Oha !

Oki, thx for reply Linux-SWAT

Im going to look into this right now

maybe that was the problem of not booting up =S

brb ^^

EDIT : okay this is going to take longer than expected ^^ .... I m starting from zero

Good to know that Im owning more than one of those :wacko:

EDIT : Okay, this time installation and SD Card setup worked fine, start and booting holds up because of some corrupted files on that SD - Card

I guess you have been right with that "Transcend = crap" saying. Oh well... gotta wait until the SanDisk arrives and starting all over then.

Thx again !

Did a complete reinstall on one of those "SanDisk Extreme SDHC 32 GB Class 10" cards and works flawless so far =D

Awesome !

Back