Skinning Minimenu

as long as you place the folder eg "midnight" into the skin folder it should work
not sure about the other error

just delete the skin redwash or whatever your skin got stuck on and the menu will bounce you back to the default.

uploaded a new version of my midnight skin here: http://trevsweb.com/...ce/midnight.zip

made a little test i want you guys to have a look at... just a list mode of the above skin...
its b0rked but it kinda works by using the dpad. touchscreen doesnt tho :p http://trevsweb.com/...idnightlist.zip

Thank you for your rapid help :)

Removing just 'redwash' didn't help but shifting the whole 'skins' folder did the trick!

Note: Previously when I used 'Switch GUI' = Black screen, cursor flashes in corner, then you are returned to the Username Login/Password screen very rapidly, as though a logoff has occurred. Whereas simply nothing happens if you use a minimenu desktop icon.

(Both of you please read no dis-respect on your files here, this was testing only and is probably the Pandora DL gone corrupt but I thought the feedback maybe of use)

So:

With a fresh attempt replacing the 'skins folder' repleat with just 'bluewash'(i.e only 'redwash' deleted) = no minimenu.

With 'Bluewash' removed = Minimenu fine. Able to select 'Toybox' and 'Corporate'(hard to see the select menu txt but otherwise nice, perhaps white text all round would contrast better?).

Choosing 'Midnight' (latest non b0rked list only version)= loss of minimenu again.

Deleting 'Midnight' only = minimenu returned to default. Able to choose both 'Toybox' and 'Corporate'.

So:

Fresh download to laptop and transfer to Pandora SD of the skins that had failed = No minimenu with Red, Blue, Midnight (v1 and 2) despite multiple downloads.

Probably just my PC but I can't get any of those 3 to run :)

Cheers :)

Well in a moment of clarity everything is suddenly clear!

Jacquelyn has aleady found the ideal solution to my problem, as apparently if I still own the packaging it is perfectly acceptable to return my Pandora. I was thinking they had even had the non incorporated Corporate Social Responsibility to allow users to pass on the hope and goodwill that even Pandora's very own box offers (line with tin-foil, paint base black, add an oven bag lid over the base and furnish with left over pizza slices to your local homeless person, as a solar cooker breakfast of hope!) but alas it transpires that I can return my un-faultable unit because I am simply too stupid to own it! :)

The sole issue I was having is because some of the zips, are double foldered (red, blue, midnight) whilst toybox and corporate are not (one from the same good guy).

If Rimmer ever ate his fist, it's a this moment. "Why didn't I post in the Help section, where everyone is one glorious whole?"

Doh!

Anyway :)

Redwash and Blue are great mellow schemes, the white text also works well and would benefit Corporate for clarity. Toybox requires shades and Black text would be easier eye candy. Midnight is very nice with the removal of the frames and the Midnightlist will make an excellent finger friendly GUI.

So bravo on all counts including helping a muppet re-find Sesame Street! :)

Sorry Guys

Chaser: your post just confused the heck out of me. Thank you. That is all :p

Sorry Wizardstan.

My post was purely to say that I had wasted both Pleng and Trevsweb time with an issue I had encountered, as it turns out I had failed to realise that the three skins that would not work, were packaged differently to those that did.

In my epiphany of such stupidity, I felt I should roll with it (it doesn´t help) and express apologies for any of their time potentially wasted in helping me discover where my towel is!

I made a choice to demonstrate an ability to laugh at myself in the process, along with those that would be laughing purely at me, for such a basic error, by a rehashing of an old I.T based annecdote of dubious real origin, within which, a man is instructed to return his PC by exasperated tech support staff (OPT, Jacquelyn possibly included) when it turns out, a power-cut is responsible for his PC woes.

I didn`t mean to cross any streams, nor upset any hive mind. I purely thought it logical to correct my error publicly and thus I made it so.

I then thought actual feedback, upon the skins made available through effort thus far was justified. Few others having commented thus far, just some guy.

Beside that, I was recommending that people do their unboxing videos and then hand their cardboard box, hacked with a few modifications, to those less fortunate in their communities, as a simple clamshell box with a little tinfoil/paint and an oven bag can be used to cook, or at the least reheat leftover food. See the www.solararchive.org.

Beyond that I am an idiot of immeasurable proportions and I tend to write at length, upon topics of which I know nothing, because I enjoy the knowledgeable answers from those that do that can occur, as there is always information worth attention.

Hope that clarifies things.

Nope it appears SomeGuy99 has summed it up. You should be a shrink. No it really is that obvious but at least I have a year off to figure my Pandora! Looks like I´ll need it.

Regards

Chaser said:
Redwash and Blue are great mellow schemes, the white text also works well and would benefit Corporate for clarity. Toybox requires shades and Black text would be easier eye candy.

Hehe I threw toybox up for a laugh. The point was to have no shades and make it look totally garish, ugly in fact. It originally had black text but that background on the 'press select for options' in minimenu appears to be fixed as black, so if the font is set to black then you can't actually see the options! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
^ I like this guy. Very cool prose.

I like the cut of his jib.
always nice to here feedback. glad you sorted your problem out tho :D

Pleng said:
Ok so the new executable worked fine when running from my home directory by typing ./mmenu

I then moved it to /usr/bin with sudo mv mmenu /usr/bin and switched to it with the gui switcher and I was left with nothing but a blank screen and a mouse cursor.

As I have minimenu as my default menu I'm greeted with the same screen whenever I restart so I guess I'll have to perform a reflash. Woohoo 2 in 2 days. :p

idea for next hotfix: holding L while booting allows access to a command line. Include Pico! :D

as for screenshots, hosting is not a problem. However as far as I'm aware minimenu doesn't have any facilities for actually grabbing an image from the screen... or am I missing something?

You probably fubar'd permissions up or something.

Begs the question -- after the sudo mv, why didn't you run it? ("mmenu", without the leading ./? :) Now that you know how to flash, you're a madman! :)

Wheres the latest flash kit people are using anyway?

jeff

I should build a 'try skin' function -- switch to it once, but not the next time (auto revert back or something.) Or 'load skin now' function, to see if they blow up.

Often minimenu will revert to the default when somethign is broken, but you can hang yourself; I always meant to build in a functin so if it crashes 3 times in a row (say) (like, within seconds), to switch back to 'default' as a last ditch save. *shrug* Once I get free time again, I'll add it :)

Some ideas for you guys --

If you want to go tiny fonts or icons, etc, you can crank up the number of columns or rows; for awhile I had a really dense 6 column 5 row display or something, before going back to the one you see now (thats sensible :) You can move the info panel around a bit or resize it, and other stuff, when skinning.

jeff

skeezix said:
You probably fubar'd permissions up or something.

Begs the question -- after the sudo mv, why didn't you run it? ("mmenu", without the leading ./?)

Because I didn't think of it..?

:) Now that you know how to flash, you're a madman! :)

Wheres the latest flash kit people are using anyway?

jeff

There isn't one, just the original one. Hotfix and community codecs need to be reinstalled every time.

Isn't there anyway to make an imagine of my NAND and put that on my reflash SD?

Yeah, you should be able to dump your NAND to SD, and use it to reflash to a known-snapshot. I suppose you can't just tar up the whole filesystem, since /dev and such have dynamic entries, but you can tar up most of your nand fs to re-use for a snapshot.

jeffphone

We had some other threads about it, where I was posting some blog entries, and notaz was correcting me :) do some searching, or checking notaz posts, probably some tips there. I'm stuck in 'barely any free time land' for a couple weeks, so hard for me to keep up .. typing on my phone :)

jeff

I should make a competition for skinning xfce and minimenu; send a Pandora t-short to the winner or something.

(Where would I get a pandora t-shirt? no idea. Cafepress no doubt ;)

jeff

Have any more skins been produced, as these were all really nice already? I was wondering if the Midnight-list one had managed to get the touchscreen working as that would be awesome.

Touchscreen should work, but I think its got a bug where sometimes it does not work; this isn't skin related I'm afraid :)

I'll be making a minimenu fix very soon for that,

jeff

New skin here: newsprint

A mostly monochrome skin based again on the default one. Unfortunately suffers from the black-text on options menu issue.

Jeff, is there any way that the options menu can be made to use the same background as the infopanel to avoid this issue occurring?

Don't mean to dig up an older thread but really? no more new skins?

I vote that midnight become the default skin... anyone else agree?

Back