Skin Problem

Acid on3

Still Fresh
I'm having a problem applying skins.

I received my GP2X today with 2.0 firmware already on it, so I update straight to 2.1.1 play around with it a bit, works fine and decide to skin it.

I made a folder in the root of the NAND called skin and place candy GPS in there, but when I go to system options, no skin option exists. So I reflashed to 2.0, then 2.1 and too 2.1.1 and the option still isn't there :S

If anyone can give me some help it'd be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Gary Miller posted on Dec 25 2006 at 11:42 PM said:
The folder must be called "skin" and the files in it must be in a single file for each skin selection (somename.gps).
As I have done, but the option still does not show up.

It goes Root/Skin/Candy.gps but still doesn't show up.

I also don't have the options to change the screen transitions. I reflashed from 2.1.1 to 2.1.1 again and it dind't change anything.

If people woudl liek pictures to confirm this I can show you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It goes Root/Skin/Candy.gps but still doesn't show up.

Just to be clear, your path to the skins is on the NAND. If you telnet to the GP2X and view the absolute path it would be:

/mnt/nand/skin/myskin.gps

If you are using the USB connection directly to the NAND, the path is:

skin/myskin.gps

If you use the samba server, the path is:

\\gp2x\gp2x\mnt\nand\skin\myskin.gps

The word root should NOT be in the path. The path of root means the highest parent directory.
Your post made me wonder if you understood this. If you did, ignore my post. But it's a common mistake non-Linux people make when dealing with the help of Linux people.

Just to clear it up, by root I did mean the highest possible directory. In the USB manager it just looks like a folder called skin

Acid on3 posted on Dec 26 2006 at 04:54 AM said:
Just to clear it up, by root I did mean the highest possible directory. In the USB manager it just looks like a folder called skin

Awesome, had to be sure. :D So when you go to Setting, System, does your screen have this:

skiner7.png

Penguin Geek posted on Dec 26 2006 at 11:09 PM said:
Acid on3 posted on Dec 26 2006 at 04:54 AM said:

Awesome, had to be sure. :D So when you go to Setting, System, does your screen have this:

skiner7.png
It's missing:
Effect
Skin/Theme
Skin Dithering
Character Sets
Auto Run

and on the screne before that it's missing credits

When it boots up it comes Black Screen first with v2 and Green screen after with V 2.1.1 and when I look at Version in the menu is says 2.0

prairiefire posted on Dec 26 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
I think you're typing "Skin" instead of "skin". The GP2X is case sensitive.... try matching the case exactly and see what you get :)

Won't do him any good if the menu options are not there! I have yet to go to 2.1.1, because it was only fixes for sound mostly, and not important to me. I am running 2.1.0. Might I suggest to flash back to a previous version, and see if the options show up. If they do, try and upgrade again to 2.1.1.

Could it be a problem with the way I'm flashing it? All I do is extract the zip into the SD card, then hold Star/Select to do it. I don't unzip any of the other tar.gz files.

Or perhaps are there other versions of the firmwares? My 2.0.0 zip is called "gp2x-f100_2.0.0_060428.zip"
It's really bugging me that I can't get skins to work.... I know it's only aesthetics and it doesn't really matter but it's just annoying.

Acid on3 posted on Dec 27 2006 at 07:12 PM said:
Could it be a problem with the way I'm flashing it? All I do is extract the zip into the SD card, then hold Star/Select to do it. I don't unzip any of the other tar.gz files.

Or perhaps are there other versions of the firmwares? My 2.0.0 zip is called "gp2x-f100_2.0.0_060428.zip"
It's really bugging me that I can't get skins to work.... I know it's only aesthetics and it doesn't really matter but it's just annoying.

Having never flashed my GP2X (yet), can't help much there. But the way your menus look is part of customizing your GP2X and making it YOURS. And I think it's an important part of owning one.

Edit: Yes, I can use the search feature! I found this by accident (I was searching for something else, and thought you would want to see it):

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=25997

Penguin Geek posted on Dec 28 2006 at 01:37 PM said:
Having never flashed my GP2X (yet), can't help much there. But the way your menus look is part of customizing your GP2X and making it YOURS. And I think it's an important part of owning one.

Edit: Yes, I can use the search feature! I found this by accident (I was searching for something else, and thought you would want to see it):

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=25997

Oh my god, I can't believe it was that simple, thanks so much you guys, for putting up with an utter newb like I :S

Acid on3 posted on Dec 28 2006 at 05:14 AM said:
Oh my god, I can't believe it was that simple, thanks so much you guys, for putting up with an utter newb like I :S

So you got it working?? what did you forget to do? And welcome to the personalized GP2X world!!!

yodaofborg posted on Dec 28 2006 at 11:27 PM said:
Sounds like he forgot to hold start+select when booting ;)
Hah, not that dense, I didn't know to go into utilities and install the patch manually :S

Back