Release Sixaxis / Dualshock 3 / PS3 controller bluetooth userland driver

Works fine as keyboard and menu navigation, but PS3 expects a special protocol for gaming, and that didn't work (or has that been implemented on the meantime?

I managed to get it working with pcsx rearmed but would love this with panmame. Is there any config or anything I can update to get it too work. Currently when you load up with the controller connected panmame menu just goes apeshit and you have to hard reset to exit.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I managed to get it working with pcsx rearmed but would love this with panmame. Is there any config or anything I can update to get it too work. Currently when you load up with the controller connected panmame menu just goes apeshit and you have to hard reset to exit.

Tried it, it seems that panmame is interpreting the accelerometer axes into movement in the menu.  Try editing your advmame.rc file in "/media/name_of_sdcard/pandora/appdata/panmame/.advance", there should be documentation for that file around somewhere.

In the meantime, if you end up in panmame with the controller connected somehow and don't want to hard reset, you can hold your controller so that the shoulder buttons are pointed upward;  I found that the accelerometer axes zero themselves in that position.  Fiddle around and you'll find the right position eventually.  Then hold it like that while you exit panmame.

If you can't be assed to figure out how to configure panmame (I know I can't) just plug the controller in via usb and use the default kernel driver instead.  There's no accelerometer support in it, so it won't misbehave.

Thanks ultra_Jon I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance :)

Couldn't figure it :( also how do you get the ps3 to be recognised via USB in panmame. Is there something I'm missing. The retro night I'm going to is Friday. Time is of the essence. Will bung a 5pound PayPal gift to someone who gets ps3 controller via Bluetooth correctly in panmame. I know its not much but with a new baby I'm poor and with not much free time!! :)

Couldn't figure it :( also how do you get the ps3 to be recognised via USB in panmame. Is there something I'm missing. The retro night I'm going to is Friday. Time is of the essence. Will bung a 5pound PayPal gift to someone who gets ps3 controller via Bluetooth correctly in panmame. I know its not much but with a new baby I'm poor and with not much free time!! :)

In advmenu.rc, look for the line that says "device_joystick auto" and change it to "device_joystick none".  You won't be able to use the controller in the menu, but it will prevent it from trying to parse the accelerometers.

In advmame.rc, add these lines:

input_map[p1_up] joystick_button[3,4] up

input_map[p1_left] joystick_button[3,7] left

input_map[p1_down] joystick_button[3,6] down

input_map[p1_right] joystick_button[3,5] right

The important part here is "joystick_button[x,y]".  The x corresponds to the joystick device (if you've got no other external joysticks connected, the first ps3 controller should show up as device 3, the second as 4 and so on).  The y corresponds to the button number, starting from zero.  You can refer to rError's post on page one to find out the button numbers.  There are already some input mappings in advmame.rc for player buttons and coin inserts and such which you can add joystick_buttons to.  As for the analog sticks and such, check here for further documentation of the input_map configuration:  http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/doc-advmame.html

EDIT:  Keep your fiver and buy your kid a nice shiny new toy pony with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be checking in a few hours pm me your email address for your prize if it works :) and cheers for looking into it :)

Haha thanks :)  - edit that was to ulktra-jon, not laughing that it doesn't work

Okay, it looks like I made a mistake, the lines should be

input_map[p1_up] joystick_button[3,4] or keyboard[0,up]
input_map[p1_left] joystick_button[3,7] or keyboard[0,left]
input_map[p1_down] joystick_button[3,6] or keyboard[0, down]
input_map[p1_right] joystick_button[3,5] or keyboard[0,right]

But as it turns out it seems to be somewhat of a moot point because I discovered while I was testing that mame seems to be incapable of mapping any ps3 controller buttons to to p1_button1, which is pretty much neccessary to play anything.  So just set device_joystick to none in both your .rc files and f*cking use QJoypad.  I hope you didn't need any analog controls.

F*cking mame, I swear to the god...

Edit:  Also, 

Checked it but it didn't work. Still going berserk like before...
Did you remember to

In advmenu.rc, look for the line that says "device_joystick auto" and change it to "device_joystick none".  You won't be able to use the controller in the menu, but it will prevent it from trying to parse the accelerometers.
Because if you did that correctly it would no longer go berserk.

Okay, it looks like I made a mistake, the lines should be

input_map[p1_up] joystick_button[3,4] or keyboard[0,up]

input_map[p1_left] joystick_button[3,7] or keyboard[0,left]

input_map[p1_down] joystick_button[3,6] or keyboard[0, down]

input_map[p1_right] joystick_button[3,5] or keyboard[0,right]

But as it turns out it seems to be somewhat of a moot point because I discovered while I was testing that mame seems to be incapable of mapping any ps3 controller buttons to to p1_button1, which is pretty much neccessary to play anything.  So just set device_joystick to none in both your .rc files and f*cking use QJoypad.  I hope you didn't need any analog controls.

F*cking mame, I swear to the god...

Edit:  Also, 

Checked it but it didn't work. Still going berserk like before...
Did you remember to

Because if you did that correctly it would no longer go berserk.
I didn't but still going berserk :)

Hello there - having trouble getting this to work.

Due to not having a suitable hub, I used the 'sixpair' application on my ubuntu laptop. It seemed to work okay, but I could only get to work with PCSX reARMed after binding all the buttons (none of the bindings looked right - for instance, Right on the dpad was 'PinkieBtn', left was 'BaseBtn2'!)

On other things though; QJoyPad said I had no joystick connected (not used this before) and the EX Alpha emulators couldn't find the controller either.

I've ordered a TV cable from EvilDragon's shop - I'd dearly love to be able to connect the controller to use in UAE4All and FUSE sitting on my sofa with Pandora on the big telly!

Am I missing something silly?

Back