Silly Question About Sd Cards . . .

psyclick

Still Fresh
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Do you absolutely need an SD card or can you use the internal flash memory for storing apps and stuff ?

if so I think i'd better get one ready for the delivery of my pre-ordered GP2X :)

Neil.

I think you will find 64mb of internal storage leaves much to be desired. Going for the 1gb card option is very, very, very strongly advised - at least by me. Believe me, a couple of movies will fill that in a second, and so will any reasonable mp3 collection.

You should be able to use the internal flash memory for storing apps and stuff, but I'd get an SD as well anyway, as you never know. Some beta emu's, for example, may always want to store there configs on sd card, whilst others may want to store them in internal flash.

A 256MB SD card is £11.50, 512Mb is £19.99 (inc vat), not exactly expensive....

I would budget for at least a 256Mb SD card with the GP2X purchase or it's not going to be a lot of fun.

I think a lot of apps are going to expect there to be an SD/MMC card in the console rather then cranking up the write rate on the internal flash.

psyclick posted on Sep 19 2005 at 10:07 AM said:
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Do you absolutely need an SD card or can you use the internal flash memory for storing apps and stuff ?

if so I think i'd better get one ready for the delivery of my pre-ordered GP2X :)

Neil.

I'm sure you could hold a fair few games on the internal memory but as you probably noticed with the 128 meg cards on the old GP32, you do run out of room quiet often.

'If' SNES runs perfect and i hope GBA then you will need a lot of space, SNES roms are 4 meg for some games (Eg Donkey Kong /Diddie Kong), 2 meg for others but on the whole 1 meg. Gameboy Colour games can be about a meg, GBA games are roughly 2-4 meg.

Bit of a waste not getting a huge memory card if you are getting a GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digital Awakening posted on Sep 19 2005 at 02:59 PM said:
I got more then 1GB SNES roms and that's after a major clean up from about 4GB :rolleyes:
Complete rom set is 1.6 GB but that is 7zipped, of course.

This is assuming the early SNES emu we get would support that many games right off the bat. Somehow I find that unlikely... I also find it unlikely that someone would need hundreds of NES or even SNES games, as just the good ones should be enough.

exactly!

Ultimately though it's up to the person playing them and not everyone is going to care for every game ever released. I got like 300 SNES games from a friend of mine I'm pretty certain I could loose half of them and never miss a single one.

A complete romset, and you like, bought all of them? ;)
For each emu, I'll take a lot of time going on each review, information, ro- err - site. So I have the best IMO for each console. :)

Anyway, what will be the max the gp2x accept with sd cards? 4GB, or unlimited, or?

(Movies + homebrew + emulators + music, I want to get atleast 2GB =)

Another question, will the gp2x resize larger movies (like the zod?), I suck at compressing. (I manage to make a 1gb movie of 300MB, with a tutorial.)

@Draken, According to GPH, The GP2x will support 4gig SD cards, Though it may support larger sized cards too.

The GP2x does have the ability to scale movies to the screen size of the GP2x with out manually resizing or re-encoding them.

Trooper

Cheers for the replies,

Luckily one of the catalogues at work has got 1Gb SD cards in it, think i'll have to stick a couple on with the next customers order. B)

he he . . .

I love Ebuyer, Im going to go with the 1Gb Viking card from them they are out of stock at the moment but they have kingston for the same price. I have seen 2Gb SD for sale in the UK but they are way overpriced (approx £115 each) might aswell buy two 1Gb cards for the time being in my oppinion.

Draken posted on Sep 19 2005 at 08:31 PM said:
A complete romset, and you like, bought all of them? ;)
Some of those probably cannot be legally owned... :ph34r: Well, when did I say that I actually have a complete set? :rolleyes:

Back