Should I Wait?

My N800(OMAP2) doesn't heat up in the slightest. My x50v(XScale) heats up a little if I overclock too much but not on stock speed.

mali said:
My N800(OMAP2) doesn't heat up in the slightest. My x50v(XScale) heats up a little if I overclock too much but not on stock speed.

Try playing a movie for a few minutes - the N800 will get a little warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The video performance problem does not have a lot to do with licensing - it is the result hardware limitation of the OMAP2 (internal video controller does not support 800x480x16 bit) and a wrong solution (external video controlled connected to OMAP by a slow bus). Still, it seems that the maximum power draw of the system is about 2-3W, and that is enough to keep it a bit warmer than its environment.

It has todo with licensing, because there are no drivers to access the other goodies of the SoC like the DSP and MBX. Only the CPU is used for everything. The display-controller problem is only minor. It would be possible to circumvent it with proper coding(I followed the dicussion closely on the boards and IRC)
I don't care any more, Pandora is the future :)

/off topic

This does get off topic, but still:

There is no licensing problem with DSP, and anyone can program it, see here for example:

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/dsp-sbc/

It is not possible to circumvent the display controller - the bandwidth between OMAP and display controller is less than 800x480x2x25 B/s, so you can't play 25FPS full resolution video.

And Pandora, I fear, might be the future but only a very far future.

Bluetooth low-complexity, subband codec (SBC) encoder to run on the DSP and produce encoded data for Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) use.

It will sound awkward when someone clueless like me talks about programming, but I remember something along the lines that the DSP-bridge(the stuff that would have to be licensed by Nokia) is missing, so your only chance is to hack something to make it use the DSP. I remember Lcuk saying that at least 640x480 is possible by creating a framebuffer in memory or something like that(Edit: this was regarding PowerVR, I think). I'll shut up now, maybe lardman comes along and corrects the stuff I probably misquoted :lol:

Edit:
The project you linked to is lardman's project, it seems he is the only one who knows how to use the DSP.

I'm not sure how your Nokia goes about doing things or if you can play music while browsing the web. But if it can have you done it and does it heat up?

I'm one of those folks that likes doing more than one thing at once if ya know what I mean. ;)

It can do mp3 and surfing at the same time, but that's not very demanding. I've done about two hours of playing Quake 2 once and I couldn't tell if the warmth was caused by my hands or the device heating up. When we talk about heat here, it's more like getting warm but not getting hot :)

With devices like the Nokia tablets and the Pandora, the battery, power supply, wifi and (possibly) display components are going to generate more heat than the processor no matter what you're doing. I know people are used to PCs and laptops with x86 chips that get hot, but ARM processors do not. The architecture is very power efficient, and even when overclocked, the chip will crash due to other limitations long before there is any damage due to thermal stress.

Perhaps one of the devs could run an emulator or something without any throttling at 900MHz and take a temperature reading. I think people will keep making incorrect assumptions about the heat output of the chip until somebody posts some real numbers to settle the question permanently.

Back