Should I Sell My Gp32

Hanz™

FIGHT THE POWER! :D
Website
Visit site
Just wanted to know what others think...
Do you think I should sell my GP32 and buy a GP2X (I don't have the money to keep my GP32 as well, or really see the point - as most apps should probably be ported at some point).

I have heard of lots of problems with the firmware not updating, or GP2Xs bricking on their own accord, and want to know whether I would be all on my own if this happened?
Is the joystick really that crap compared to the GP32s one, how easy would it be too mod it.

Basically could those of you that have a GP32 give me a side by side comparison.

I am also a little worried about having to put the screen protecter on myself - is it easy to get dust inside, I have put a couple of glass screens on GP32's in my time, but the idea of fecking the GP2X up as soon as I get it is sort of scary.

Lastly how much do you guys think I could get for a boxed (and with the extra bunf that it contains) GP32 166mhz BLU (original edition) with a glass screen fitted (sexy! and NO dust) and including 4 128mb SMCs and a card reader?
It is in very good condition minus a dent where I pulled the front cover off to install the glass screen, I would include a pair of AA batteries also.

Edit: Man I am confused it turns out I have 4 SMCs, not 3.

Firmware not updating has been fixed by Robster, he made an app that updates on any card.

As for the bricking when you turn them on, I read somewhere on the forums that some guy from gp32spain suggested putting the SD card in after the menu boots.

Gp32 still has a lot more stuff but Gp2x is getting there slowly.

The screen is easy to put on if you do it in a clean envirnment. If you have ever owned a FLU the dust problem is nowhere close on the 2x.

I haven't touched my GP32 since DrMDx was released.

Nearly every day or so, a new game, emu, port .. has been released for the GP2X. I'd retire the little white wonder, sad as it makes me typing this ...

Hanz™ posted on Dec 29 2005 at 10:59 PM said:
Do you think I should sell my GP32 and buy a GP2X (I don't have the money to keep my GP32 as well, or really see the point - as most apps should probably be ported at some point).

I have heard of lots of problems with the firmware not updating, or GP2Xs bricking on their own accord, and want to know whether I would be all on my own if this happened?

This biggest problem now as it's very tiresome if someone hadn't a luck. I know because I bricked my gp2x and thought recovery isn't that difficult (as long the uboot is intact) it should much easier.

Is the joystick really that crap compared to the GP32s one, how easy would it be too mod it.

I can say only that the gp2x's joystick is fine. It's much better (for me) than the Saitek's pad I was using for pc. It has 8 switches, works silently and allows up to 16 direction and can act as button too. It's not exactly precise as 4-switch could be (for that type of action) but I like it.

Basically could those of you that have a GP32 give me a side by side comparison.

I never had the GP32 (once I was considering it) but I think I can comment at one or two things (as I did :) ).

I am also a little worried about having to put the screen protecter on myself - is it easy to get dust inside, I have put a couple of glass screens on GP32's in my time, but the idea of fecking the GP2X up as soon as I get it is sort of scary.

If you are not carefully then yes. However once the screen protector is fitted then space between it and lcd screen is almost perfectly sealed. Nothing will get inside and even if it would then you might open the gp2x and detach front panel from lcd itself for cleaning. (I did it myself)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why sell the GP32? Sell one of your more useless items and wait until the GP2X has what you want before you sell your GP32. That's what I would do. I think you would have a tendency to keep asking for ports of GP32 stuff if you didn't have yours.

I have both, and for some reason I feel compelled to keep them both. I'll hang on to my FLU until I think that the GP2X software has equaled or surpased it. Speaking of my FLU, damn that thing is dusty as hell!!!! The GP2X isn't that bad, especially if you do it right the first time.

My Method:
I took my GP2X into the bathroom after the wife took a shower (think clean people), and quickly peeled off the protective plastic and slapped it together. Those who have had FLU's may already know the steam trick to a dust free environment. ;)

If you don't have the money to buy both, by all means I'd hold on to the BLU and wait a few months. The only thing that really concerns me is the spontaneous bricking. Everytime i turn it on, I cross my fingers, but I ensure that my card is formatted properly, and there should be nothing to worry about (though I'm still paranoid)

My stick is fine, so no worries there. I can't really complain about, especially having used the GP32 stick for so long. Maybe that my GP2X's "born on" date is 12/10/05, the build issues are lessened. Also my headphone jack works fine as well.

Your decision, have fun.

invokebane posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:02 PM said:
Its funny my ultra $3,000 home built system has to use the extra power for my portable HD but my wifes POS works fine just usin the USB LOL

I got a similar problem, but only on the front ports, I know my $35 case is something I skimped on, so the front ports were pure crap.

The four USB on the rear of the Motherboard are just fine, and the two included on a slot cover for the back are fine too (thank you nForce and Shuttle).

Hanz™ posted on Dec 29 2005 at 08:59 PM said:

i have a BLU+ and GP2x and i really love both. but at the moment i only use the GP2x because every day i visit this site there is new software to try. so its like xmas every day ;). i really recommend you to buy a GP2x! it has a better screen then the BLU and its more powerfull. of course there where some minor problems but they are solved or will be solved soon.

but selling the BLU? NEVER! i think its a rare piece of hardware that will be hard to get in good condition in some years.

Right now the GP2X has way too many holes software wise. There is no NES, SMS, Coleco, Speccy emus. The SNES emu is crap compared to the GP32 one.The PC-engine, GB/GBC, Lynx emus are also inferior to what is on the GP32. Right now the only decent to great emus on the GP2X are DrMD, Atari 800, C64, MAME. Those get my DaveC seal of approval for high standards of quality, usability, and overall L337n355 :p There is no Doom on the GP2X either, which is strange as that is usually the first thing ported to a new system :blink:

Since the Gp2X is linux there is a tendancy for quick "lazy" ports. Unfortunatly none of these are really optimised and most run poorly and are abandoned as fast as they are made. The really high quality DRMD calibre stuff will come when HH is finished IMHO.

You may want to wait until things mature some. Otherwise you will have to give up too much. If you can have both do that but I wouldn't give up the GP32 just yet. The screen on the GP2X is superior to the BLU as the contrast and color is better though (if using the right FW). The GP2X has potential but it may be some time before it is realized.

craigix posted on Dec 30 2005 at 01:05 AM said:
I'd say give it until the end of Jan and you will be able to retire your GP32.
Is there any reason for this - surely I might as well get in early if great things are expected so soon.

edit: Unless of course these changes turn out to be anything hardware.
To be honest I think I would be perfectly happy with just development potential and DrMD in my hands, is there a decent port of ScummVM?

love my GP32 FLU (dusty as ever) and i will probably upgrade when i can afford to throw the extra cash around (damn, no partying THAT weekend). seriously, maybe in another year's time.

always fun to get in at the front but i'll let you guys enjoy it for now and just watch. besides, like i have said a million times, there's already kajillions of games that play perfectly on ol' reliable GP32 to suit me.

if 2X was micro sized i'd buy in a heartbeat though. whew!

Sell it fast before the market is deluged with them. I would sell it with one card - sell the others seperately - they will only make the package more expensive. Buyers have the choice of the new GP2X, so if the price difference is not enough they will put the money towards a new device rather than buy yours.
I don't think a card reader and batteries will make a difference to the buyer.
See what price they are fetching on e-bay. Do you have the packaging ? People seem to think someone who is too lazy to throw out a useless box have somehow taken more care of the contents.
Personally, I know I would regret selling it. Look at other ways to raise the money first.

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Dec 30 2005 at 01:42 AM said:
Sell it fast before the market is deluged with them. I would sell it with one card - sell the others seperately - they will only make the package more expensive. Buyers have the choice of the new GP2X, so if the price difference is not enough they will put the money towards a new device rather than buy yours.
I don't think a card reader and batteries will make a difference to the buyer.
See what price they are fetching on e-bay. Do you have the packaging ? People seem to think someone who is too lazy to throw out a useless box have somehow taken more care of the contents.
Personally, I know I would regret selling it. Look at other ways to raise the money first.
Some good points there. Thanks!

from what i've heard, there will be no further hardware update. only firmware. so if that's the case and you want one now, snap it up!

Iorgy77 posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:02 PM said:
As for the bricking when you turn them on, I read somewhere on the forums that some guy from gp32spain suggested putting the SD card in after the menu boots.

Thanks so much for the tip! As soon as I get my new unbricked gp2x I will do that for a while untill there is a really nice firmware out and on my machine.

reallynotnick posted on Dec 30 2005 at 04:26 AM said:
Iorgy77 posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:02 PM said:

Thanks so much for the tip! As soon as I get my new unbricked gp2x I will do that for a while untill there is a really nice firmware out and on my machine.

I might have a buyer hanz if the price is right

PM me :)

sPaCe :ph34r:

Back