Should I Get This Gp2x Mk.1?

DarkJesus

Still Fresh
Someone is offering me a mk.1 GP2X for 80 euros, which works out to about £50. I can get a new GP2X for £80 on play-asia (value pack is just under £100, but the only thing that appeals with it is the battery pack, which makes it around the same price). Should I go for the mk.1? Another factor is, the guy is cool and I wouldn't mind buying it off him...

It's in perfect quality and he's including a case for it.

What would you go for?

Another factor is, the guy is cool and I wouldn't mind buying it off him...
If he is cool I would buy it from him for that reason alone ;)
But seriously there is nothing wrong with the MK 1. I bet most people on this board own a MK1 and would tell you the same.

Tough call. A MKI screen is better , or so some have said ... but the joystick was rotated by 45 degrees in the MKII, making for a less diagonal bias ...

I'd go for it.

I'd say the only significant problem with the Mk1+latest firmware is the joystick. It's certainly not unusable, and is actually ok for a fairly casual gamer like me but I've hit the diagonals accidentally more than enough times to understand how irritating it could be for the more serious gamer.

I don't know just how much better the Mk2 stick set-up is, but if you can't handle a joystick which is super-sensitive on the diagonals, then the Mk1 is best avoided. If you can handle that, then go for it.

I also remember reading that the Mk1 doesn't work very well with the breakout box/board due to some kind of shortcoming concerning power. I can't remember the details, but if that's of interest to you it might be worth researching the details of this problem.

The stick is better oriented on the M2 giving better control. The screen contrast is better on the M2 with more saturated colors and deeper blacks and no scanlines or interlace. The only thing about the M2 screen that is not as good is the viewing angle, but to me the deeper colors make up for it as the M1 looks a bit washed out in comparison.

I have had both but prefer the newer model. It seems to have better build quality too.

DaveC posted on Dec 26 2006 at 02:28 AM said:
The stick is better oriented on the M2 giving better control. The screen contrast is better on the M2 with more saturated colors and deeper blacks and no scanlines or interlace. The only thing about the M2 screen that is not as good is the viewing angle, but to me the deeper colors make up for it as the M1 looks a bit washed out in comparison.

I have had both but prefer the newer model. It seems to have better build quality too.
Having compared them right upto each other just a week ago for the sole purpose of the screen quality. I think the MK1 has a better screen overall, bar the scanlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on Dec 26 2006 at 03:27 AM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 26 2006 at 02:28 AM said:

Having compared them right upto each other just a week ago for the sole purpose of the screen quality. I think the MK1 has a better screen overall, bar the scanlines.

The M1 screen black level is not as good, IE it is medium grey instead of dark grey. The colors are more washed out as well. It does have a better viewing angle though. So it comes down to if you like a better viewing angle and more faded colors and muddy black level, or deeper more saturated color, better black level, no scan-lines and interlace flicker but a fidgety viewing angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the thread falls off into the "which model is better" abyss, it might be worth getting back to the original question about whether the particular offer was a good deal.

There are certainly some benefits to the MKII and, if both were offered and available at the same price, I would take the II over the I.

That being said, the offer you have been given is darn good. I have an MKI and, at the price you mentioned, would snap it up again if I didn't have it.

Go for it and enjoy!

The MK1 can generally be overclocked more, or that's the impression I got.

I have overclocked and played games steadily to 275-280, depending on the game.

It definitely helps when pushing SNES.

Thats on my MK1

I still love my mk1 gp2x. just make sure if it still has the old shitty cap to get the one that is on all mk2 gp2x units. to me the stick was never a big problem but that tiny cap made it hard to do any real gaming.

Back