Should I Get F200 Now? Or Wait For F200 Mk2?

RetroGamerPT

Still Fresh
I was thinking to buy one GP2X F200, but the MK2 will come with new "stuff".... wait or buy it now?...
:ph34r: Help!

P.S: I'm Portuguese, but i understand english... (write english is more difficult...)

Best Regards,
RetroGamerPT

we don't know if there will be a f200 mk2 or what it will be.

For now, your choices are "wait for something new" "buy a F100 MK2" or "buy a F200"

F100 is well tested, has a lot of documented hacks and mods. But it has no touchscreen... that's the major difference. There is the Dpad, but you can modify your F100 to have a dpad if you are good at this kind of stuff.

F200 is brand spanking new, not a lot of people have it.... not a lot of DEVELOPERS have it either... so unless you want to act as some kind of "beta tester" you might want to stay away for it...

don't get me wrong, a lot of stuff works on the F200... but not everything is up to date, tested and documented yet.

Hope that helps...

If you name your needs and expectations towards the '2x, maybe we can give you better advice.

EDIT: Other choices are "wait for the craiginator" and "wait for open2x development" =)

F200 MK2 with new stuff? Not sure that will ever materialize.

get an F200 or wait for the craiginator! F200 is essentially the F100 Mk3 if you will. It has all the functionality of the F100 plus a touchscreen and a d-pad instead of a stick. Some things that are missing but that you wouldn't really need anyways are access to the internal memory (NAND) but that is pretty much for developers and should be left alone. Also USB networking is missing but this again was not really of any help unless you wanted to do some debugging. No network gaming or anything, really.

well yes. obviously. But that's why I mentioned it. What hacking do you do with a network usb connection? Nand access, telnet and ssh maybe. That is for hardcore devs only and not for a normal gamer to mess around.

I also wanted to put right that you called the F200 a console for "beta testing". I don't think it is. It's all the functionality of the F100 aswell. It's too bad though that there is not much software out there supporting the touchscreen yet.

Thank you!... I searched on Google, the Craiginator, and hi was impressed... good screen... much better emulation... wifi, when i can buy it? and ... how much $?

Best Regards,
RetroGamerPT

Rather than saying "all the functionality of the F100" I'd say "most". USB Networking was a function for example thats missing from the F200 :)

(Yes, I know you mentioned that as well)

</picky>

As for the F200 MK2, well, with regards to GPH's past history, I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the SD Card slot! ("But we added more ram to further fragment the community.")

If you can get a F100 for much cheaper than a new F200, then buy that, would be my opinion.

Thank You to all, for the information and opinions...
I've decided to wait and see news about that new machine... Craiginator, the bad thing on this... i have to wait 5-6 months... to buy it :\ but i think will worth it...

Best Regards,
RetroGamerPT

I bought a F200 because I thought it would be fine for what i want to use it for and that's really to play Emu games and watch videos on from time to time. For new games, I have a DS and it supports WIFI browsing so it's fine for me as well. Between the two, I have the bases covered that I want to be covered. The Craiginator sounds cool, when it comes out and a few people really experience it, I'll make a choice on a third modern console. And I must say, the F200 will is my 3rd handheld. My first was the original Atari Lynx which is actually still working fine after all these years. If only I could find a new battery cover for the thing...

Back