Shockwave

gladel

Still Fresh
Hi. I wish there will be some kind of Shockwave or Flash emulator to run Flash games.

gladel said:
Hi. I wish there will be some kind of Shockwave or Flash emulator to run Flash games.
Without some decent open-source version, there is no chance. And to my knowledge, the only open-source flash players are quite useless for most Flash games because they only work up to a certain version of Flash. And even if they weren't - 200MHz isn't a lot for a Flash game as my 600MHz laptop will attest. Most Flash games just won't work at a decent speed at all at that sort of CPU, even the ones that appear basic (for instance, I can play the "yeti games" but even the "pirates shooting cannons at each other" game just dies a death, as do things like "N" depending on the level you are on).

So:

1) No source code provided, so it's not going to happen anyway
2) There is no source code you could provide that would do it as well as people would want
3) The source code that is available is designed for X, not SDL or any other easily-portable libraries.
4) Even if someone did magic up a Flash emulator from scratch, most Flash games are simply beyond the GP2X's capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
hrm... so no chance of playing back videos ripped from youtube? ( which are .flv, as far as I know.. )

ledow said:
3) The source code that is available is designed for X, not SDL or any other easily-portable libraries.
X isn't easily portable? First I've heard of that.

Orkie said:
X isn't easily portable? First I've heard of that.
X is easily portable (for a certain MASSIVE definition of easy, it being such a complex bit of software) - but then you'll be running an entire X window system to run a flash game that will already be struggling. What I meant was "porting an app designed for X to something else isn't easy".

fishybawb said:
knoeki said:
hrm... so no chance of playing back videos ripped from youtube? ( which are .flv, as far as I know.. )
You could always convert them...

yup. :_) I already found a piece of linux software to do this for me ( ripping the vids included ) in the archives.

YouTubed-2x

ledow said:
X is easily portable (for a certain MASSIVE definition of easy, it being such a complex bit of software) - but then you'll be running an entire X window system to run a flash game that will already be struggling. What I meant was "porting an app designed for X to something else isn't easy".
If it's just the X libraries it is easy - no harder than SDL. You just need to run the X server so the program will be displayed. If it's mouse controlled, you don't even have to change the controls.

GP2Xpdf and 2XRally both do this.

Parkydr said:
ledow said:
If it's just the X libraries it is easy - no harder than SDL. You just need to run the X server so the program will be displayed. If it's mouse controlled, you don't even have to change the controls.

GP2Xpdf and 2XRally both do this.

still doesn't make it possible to run flash games... although, maybe in low quality... but the framerate is not going to be nice..

Back