New Linux Kernel Updates

kloplop321

Psychotic Trans-dimensional Being
Website
kloplop321.com
Pretty much a copy and paste from http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_31

ARM

As you can see there are some OMAP things, I don't know how much of it may apply to the Pandora.

I think that many of those features actually come from the Pandora's kernel repository:
http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pandora-kernel.git

It is at least the case that the Pandora kernel already has those features, since I guess that the devs pull in from the linus tree every so often.

(Git isn't SVN; you can merge very easily with Git and because of that, it happens all the time)

in the Git it looks like they only have the latest RC(not the release), as you mentioned about how easy/quickly things update, it should update to that kernel soon.

My understanding is that they were sticking with a 2.6.29 kernel base and patching the hell out of it from there to maintain consistancy amongst themselves. With the amount of patching that may have taken place it might now be equivalent to ~2.6.31 with ARMv7a updates, but for other things like USB devices you may be looking at 2.6.29 supported ones.

yeah, there is support for USB 3.0 in the new kernel, though IIRC the Pandora doesn't have a 3.0 standard one..

Kloplop321 said:
yeah, there is support for USB 3.0 in the new kernel, though IIRC the Pandora doesn't have a 3.0 standard one..

I don't think anything apart from a few dev boards has USB 3.0 yet - last I heard they hadn't even made all the chips you need to make a USB connection yet.

But hey, you can always plug a USB3 board into the pandora's USB2 port when they become ubiquitous ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, great thing for backward compatible hardware, though things like USB 2.0 TV tuners over USB won't work on USB 1.1.. So eventually (in a decade or more) we won't have everything compatible with our lovely pandoras(though maybe not lovely by then(first gen anyway)).

Kloplop321 said:
yep, great thing for backward compatible hardware, though things like USB 2.0 TV tuners over USB won't work on USB 1.1.. So eventually (in a decade or more) we won't have everything compatible with our lovely pandoras(though maybe not lovely by the (first gen anyway)).
And you don't think you'll be looking forward to getting your Pandora 3 with USB4.0 in over a decade? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back