Setting Up A Developing Environment On Windows Xp

jcbnetwork

Website
Visit site
I have finally decided to try and develop something for the GP32. After countless hours of searching, reading, more searching and more reading I have finally set up my dev environment. In the process I took the time to write a tutorial on how to set it all up and hopefully help other newbies on their quest to become devs.

I used the latest versions of:

devkitARM
Mr. Mirko's GP32 SDK Replacement
Crimsor Editor has replaced Programmers Notepad
GeePee32

I also used a few other programs which I find extremely useful.

I've gone as far as compiling all the examples and trying them on GeePee32 and also on my GP32 BLU+. Next step will be to write something on my own.

Please take a look at the tutorial and let me know what you guys think

http://jcbnetwork.com/gp32/env.html

Can someone please move this to the DEV section? Thank you.

Thanks for the tutorial!

But it`s in the wrong place, we have a dev forum for tutorials, etc.

jcbnetwork posted on Jul 12 2005 at 06:42 AM said:
I have finally decided to try and develop something for the GP32. After countless hours of searching, reading, more searching and more reading I have finally set up my dev environment. In the process I took the time to write a tutorial on how to set it all up and hopefully help other newbies on their quest to becoming devs.

I used the latest versions of:

devkitARM
Mr. Mirko's GP32 SDK Replacement
Programmers Notepad
GeePee32

I also used a few programs which I find extremely useful.

I've gone as far as compiling all the examples and trying them on GeePee32 and also on my GP32 BLU+. Next step will be to write something on my own.

Thanks a lot !! That's just I was trying to do by myself...

I can now go to start coding skipping all the 'let's try to figure out how" phase...

Last edited by a moderator:
very thorough and cool! thanks for doing it up and posting! i guess my only critisism would be the some of the tools you've chosen, but good call in choosing specific tools so you can lead your readers through each step by the hand.

i hadn't tried programmer's notepad before ... and after doing so i'm still a fan of crimson editor ... besides the typical goodies (projects, tools, tabs, syntax highlight, bookmark, etc) crimson will retain the files you had open if you close the application and come back to it! in general, it has more functionality and hotkeys for the functionality than programmer's notepad.

"Open Command Window Here PowerToy" is a must have in windows ... unless you use a 3rd party file-explorer like servant salamander (the 2.1 version is free! and my fav) or total commander ... both of which have hotkeys for launching a prompt from your current directory. and hotkeys for many other things :)

edit: i figured out you need msys for the make executable :p

does anyone know if it's possible to refresh your path in winXP w/o logging out/in? just opening a new prompt doesn't work for me.

If you prefere to code with the oficial SDK and have the posibility to code in VC6++ under Windows with debugging facilities, you can follow my own tutorials that you can find here: http://www.nekanium.com/gp32.
It's not as extended as the tutorial above, but is very simple to follow and with very few files to download.

By the way, it's strange to see that every new coder that read this forum, GP32X, usually choose the Mr.Mirko SDK solution, while the coders that read the spanish forum, GP32Spain, usually prefer the oficial SDK solution.

Oankali.

Oankali posted on Jul 14 2005 at 10:55 AM said:
If you prefere to code with the oficial SDK and have the posibility to code in VC6++ under Windows with debugging facilities, you can follow my own tutorials that you can find here: http://www.nekanium.com/gp32.
It's not as extended as the tutorial above, but is very simple to follow and with very few files to download.

By the way, it's strange to see that every new coder that read this forum, GP32X, usually choose the Mr.Mirko SDK solution, while the coders that read the spanish forum, GP32Spain, usually prefer the oficial SDK solution.

Oankali.

Ahh, "Hello Oankali".

I just wanted to say a big "Thank You" for the documentation on your site, I don't think I could've done all the work I've done to Franxis' Mame port without it. I've used some of your guide and some of jcbnetwork's guide (thanks a bunch to you too), to create a "Mame Developer's Stater Kit" here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=19718

Updated my env to latest devkitARM and Mirko 0.95. However, I am now having wierd errors with b2fxec. Has anyone had these errors before?

Code:
b2fxec -a Pea -t SDK_example -b font.bmp font.bin font.fxe

b2fxeC v0.5b - (c) 2002-4 Jouni 'Mr.Spiv' Korhonen

vikaa freaderissa!
freader & IOException..
      5 [sig] b2fxec 3632 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to b2fxec.exe.
stackdump
make: *** [all] Segmentation fault (core dumped)

EDIT: Found what it was. Seems that b2fxec now expects a bitmap (icon) if one is specified using the -b flag. It used to work anyway even if the bmp was not present. You now need the bmp to be present if you specify one.

JCB - something really useful you may want to add to your tutorial is the use of a batch file rather than that tool to open a cmd window. The batch file (called compile.bat) has the following in it:

Code:
@echo off
make
@echo:
pause

Now all you do to compile is double click compile.bat. The window stays open until you press a key.

starpause posted on Jul 13 2005 at 03:15 PM said:
i hadn't tried programmer's notepad before ... and after doing so i'm still a fan of crimson editor ... besides the typical goodies (projects, tools, tabs, syntax highlight, bookmark, etc) crimson will retain the files you had open if you close the application and come back to it! in general, it has more functionality and hotkeys for the functionality than programmer's notepad.

You obviously didn't spend much time using Programmer's NotePad. The last time I looked at Crimson it had one fatal flaw which rendered it useless as a programmer's editor. The user configurable tools have a great deal of difficulty running from the correct path.

jcbnetwork posted on Jul 12 2005 at 04:42 AM said:

You committed one major no no. Directories containing spaces should be avoided at all costs.

KidQuaalude posted on Jul 15 2005 at 01:45 PM said:
do i need to install mingw too? i went thru all the steps but i'm getting a "'256color.o' doesnt exist - dont know how to make it" error when i do a make. any ideas?

Move everything to a folder without a space.

See the devkitPro setup guide for a suggested layout.

http://devkitpro.sourceforge.net/setup.shtml

WinterMute posted on Jul 18 2005 at 10:13 PM said:
starpause posted on Jul 13 2005 at 03:15 PM said:

You obviously didn't spend much time using Programmer's NotePad. The last time I looked at Crimson it had one fatal flaw which rendered it useless as a programmer's editor. The user configurable tools have a great deal of difficulty running from the correct path.

Have you tried SciTE?
Very simple to use, no installation required, free, tabs (10 max), retains last opened files, syntax highlight, lot of programming languages supported, bookmarks, word completion, ...

Back