Pandora Setting Up A Clean Dev Environment On The Pandora

Bonbon-Chan

Still Fresh
I have toy a few with crossplatform compiling and I didn't like it (problems with ant script. I have to copy to SD, test, copy to SD, test,...)

So I try to set up my Pandora to compile on it... and I end to screw my NAND :eek: .

Now I have reinstall the OS and I want to do something clean. I will move all I can from the NAND to the SD Card (/media/CARD1/). I think I will put everything to /media/CARD1/pandora/.

First thing, the compiler : I have found preinstalled arm-linux-gnueabi-strip, but I didn't find any compiler (arm-linux-gnueabi-cc, cc, gcc, cpp, ...) :huh: Strange... What package should I install ?

Next I will install JDK. For JDK, I think I will install the package then move the folder to the SD Card and do a 'sudo ln -s java6-openjdk /media/CARD1/pandora/java6-openjdk'. But I don't know how to deal with links within the folder (SDCard in fat32... I should buy another SDCard and format this one in EXT2 ?)

Is it safe to move the /usr/include to the SDCard (same problem with links ?). Should I do it before installing extra package ?

For ANT, I have only to add the path on the SDCard to the PATH.

Anyother advice is wellcome.

Doing the SD dance does suck, but can always use wifi or usbnet and scp/ftp/smb/etc to move files around conveniently :)

That said, setting up gcc and friends on nand or sd is not too hard; check torpors hread in the dev section for some packages to get etc. (you could always boot entirely from SD and free yourself of nand space limits, o use union filesystem overlays like in Stuckies hreads.)

That all said, Im not much into java on arm so leave that to someone else

Jeffphone

Having recently sacrificed an SD card to the Pandora gods to run a test distro from there ( saves me buggering up NAND with my increasingly dodgy hacks ;) ) I can say that's it's pretty simple to do, and with SD cards being in crazy high capacities, you won't have any worry about running out of NAND when installing big libraries with their dev packages in tow.

Or, you could use an overlay through my Extend Utils system, where you can keep your SD card formatted as you like, and essentially use a loopback file stored on SD to extend your NAND. This can still be a bit picky ( I highly advise you to check "mount" and "dmesg | tail" to ensure the thing's bound everything correctly ), but I'll be finding some spare time soon to try iron out the last remaining bugs in it. In this case, you could be limited to 4GB chunks at a time due to how the SD card is formatted, but you can daisy chain them, so it's not too big a deal.

I also have "dev extends" where I took Torpor's "bollocks" idea of developing direct on Pandora, and wrapped it in a nice pre-packaged format. However, the two Dev Extends I have are WAY out of date ( probably pre Hotfix era, ) so I'd advise just doing a standard root overlay, and installing your dev tools and libraries into that.

I set up dev toolchain in the NAND using this tutorial:
http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=106

You always have to check the size of the flash still free and don't go bellow some (how much?) megabytes.

Back