Serial Number

scarath

I wonder: Will the pandora have a serial number somewhere on the console (or inside it) for us super-sad collector geeks?
If it does have one it should be etched rather than just a sticker, for obvious reasons.

Yet another random hope for this hyped-up machine :D

That would probably up the price significantly. I think it will just have a sticker, but who really knows...

What the crap makes you think etching a NUMBER makes a product EXPENSIVE. I was under the impression the most basic professional touches would be there, like oh I don't know, molding names onto buttons so they can be told apart, labelling ports and connectors or putting a damn name on the unit.... I mean christ, this is excessive paranoia when people think adding a few numbers to a case or a resistor to a PCB will add entire dollars to the price.... craziness.

Stealth Bagel said:
What the crap makes you think etching a NUMBER makes a product EXPENSIVE. I was under the impression the most basic professional touches would be there, like oh I don't know, molding names onto buttons so they can be told apart, labelling ports and connectors or putting a damn name on the unit.... I mean christ, this is excessive paranoia when people think adding a few numbers to a case or a resistor to a PCB will add entire dollars to the price.... craziness.
Well, all the things you mentioned are simple to do, because they are pre-moulded in the case, and are the same on every single case. Etching a serial number into the case would need to be different on every single pandora, so would slow down the entire manufacturing process, adding cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about an easy-to-read serial number, like this?

<batch>-<machine number in the batch>-<machine number out of all manufactured>

For instance, something that was in the second batch, was the 43rd of that batch made, and the 3043rd machine ever made, would be

1-43-3043

I suppose the revision number would depend on the batch.

A manufacture date would be cool too.

Take a look around your home at all the various small electronic devices you have. How many have a serial number etched into the plastic? Even high-end laptops generally have the serial number on a sticker or label.

Yes, early versions may become "collectible" to some extent, but I wouldn't expect someone to offer you a 500% markup in a few years time for your first edition. Having to sequentially number labels may be trivial for the factory, or it may add significantly to the overall cost. If it is the latter, then the smart thing to do is forget it and make due with the serial in the firmware. I would hope we would not all have to pay a vanity tax just to appease a few collectors.

Back