Sensitive D-Pad and some odd behavior on left nub

British

Still Fresh
Hiya,

Just got my Pandora (yay !), and there this one thing about the D-Pad that is making any use of the Pandora a pain:

the down "button" is over-sensitive.

What it means is that whenever I barely touch the down direction, without actually pressing it, it registers a press.

The up button is fine, and left and right buttons are to be pressed on their upper parts if I want to get left or right, and not down, then maybe left or right.

Any idea of any way to solve this (tried to press all the buttons, to "wear" them a bit, but to no avail) ?

Also, my left nub is a bit odd, how much I calibrate it (going to all the main positions when booting, right ?):

when going up, left or right, whenever I gently move it registers slowly.

When going down (am I seeing a pattern here ?) gently, it doesn't register.

It does past some point away from the center-position, and then it's moving quite fast.

I'll have to try the right nub as a mouse to see if it has the same issue.

Clues are welcome :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
With the down of the dpad, gently pull up on that part of the dpad so you can see under it, make sure there is nothing strange visible.

You might see some glue on the part which comes down from inside the dpad cup.

If there does seem to be glue there pull the dpad up a little more until the glue breaks apart (goes white).

The chances are the glue has made the plastic solid so there is no 'give' on it and it's over sensitive.

Usually that would go away with use, but pulling it up speeds that up. Don't pull it too hard or for too long though (Vicar, nun, etc).

The Nub will almost certainly be calibration. You have to drop the battery to reset it.

The nub is OK, I guess.

Still needs some battery-tinkering from time to time, though.

My big concern still is the D-Pad.

I pulled it, but the only thing I could see was the black thingie under, that I suppose actually makes contact.

Is there something else to do on my part ?

Pulling it (without tearing it off) didn't seem to have any effect...

Have you tried pressing down on it hard over and over again? It sounds like the rubber is a bit stiff and has little room to 'squash' down when you press it, so the slightest touch is going straight to the carbon contact.

Some use some loosen it up. There is nothing else it can be...

I did try to do some "hard pressing", but it didn't seem to do anything.

Granted, I didn't press that much, since I don't want to break anything...

Regarding the rubber, I'd say it feels the same way on every position.

Also, the D-Pad is well-seated (meaning: it protrudes the same way on each of the buttons' positions).

The situation hasn't changed, and I'd rather not open the unit for warranty reasons...

Do you have any picture of what the D-Pad and the rubber look like, and even how they are connected to the board ?

That might help with tinkering with the D-Pad without popping screws... or not :unsure:

Craiiiiig !

Please help me with my last attempt at fixing this prior to strongly thinking about RMA...

So, I popped my Pandora open, and I had a good look at the innards, trying to figure out what might be going on...

I noticed that the rubber "contact" (which I suspect is not rubber, but you know what I mean) of the down button is not meshed like all the other buttons... could this be the culprit, and is there a way to correct this ?

P1010198.JPG

I also noticed the right shoulder button (which is actually not that "frank") received some special treatment.

It's not a big deal, since the button works, but I guess it could work/feel better.

P1010201.JPG P1010202.JPG

Back