Self Published Commercial Gp2x Games?

muphicks

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I've read quite a bit about the GP2X as well as the development contest over at contest.gp2x.com and had considered entering, however this question caught my attention:

5) I enter my game. I do not win a prize. GPH wants to sell my game. I do not like the royalties offered and refuse. Can I sell the game myself?

with the response

5. partly no: Becuase GPH should take every responsibilty on the official commericail game for GP2X, GPH can not appove of your using GP2X logo and any other simbols representing GP2X or GPH.

It sounds like entering a game means you forfit all rights to sell that game yourself whether your entry wins or not. I could understand them wanting rights to sell the winning games but why prevent people selling games that did not win or that GPH have no interest in selling?

They state its because they cannot approve of you "using the GP2X logo or any other symbols representing the GP2X or GPH".

So forgetting about the contest altogether, what is said above makes it sound like GPH wish to control the quality of commercial titles and only allow sales if they approve. Is this the case? Or have I just read too much into the original questions response, or has something been lost in translation?

How would any developer that creates a game for the GP2X (assuming it's actually of a commercial quality) go about self publishing the game if they cannot indicate that the game runs on the GP2X? Yes you could argue that a commercial quality game would be approved by GPH, but would they require exclusive rights to sell it in return for approval?? What if the developers did not like the terms of the agreement, would they still be approved to sell it independantly?

I'm probably reading too much into a clause that exists for the purpose of a contest, but I find it very strange that GPH would refuse to allow losing entries that they have stated no interesting in selling from been self published by the original developers for the GP2X except if their intention is to not allow any non-authorised commercial development for the GP2x be it as part of the contest or outside it?

The commercial game mentioned on this forum "Vextar" is that approved by GPH? If not how will they stand with indicating that its made for the "GP2X" when GPH appears to not want developers using the logo or any other symbols that my represent GPH/GP2X in a commercial game?

Going back to the contest, I was initially quite intrigued by it, but having read the current license guidelines I have a sinking feeling that many developers will refrain from entering due to the sales rights been given up without knowing prior to entry what royalties/terms might be expected or the agreement they're entering. Especially since when they do find out the terms and (possibly) disagree with them, they still lose rights to sell the game independantly for the GP2X platform.

Anyhow, if anyone has any information on this I'd be interested in knowing more. If its been asked/answered before feel free to slap me, although I'd appreciate a link to the thread in question as I've spent the last hour searching to no avail :)

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Jul 28 2006 at 12:47 AM said:

The first link you provide is a thread I read during an earlier search. As you mention it does seem to agree with my thoughts on the contest but I couldn't find any mention of the further implications on commercial development outside of the contest (if any).

Thanks for the links to the alternative comp, I have a read :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They dont/cant enforce any rules on what you do with your stuff, as long as you dont enter the competition.

"GPH can not appove of your using GP2X logo and any other simbols representing GP2X or GPH"

I've looked at this before, you can self publish the game, you just can't use the GP2x or GPH logo in the game, or make it look like your game is an official GPH sanctioned release. It was translated pretty badly I know, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

muphicks posted on Jul 27 2006 at 06:00 PM said:
The first link you provide is a thread I read during an earlier search. As you mention it does seem to agree with my thoughts on the contest but I couldn't find any mention of the further implications on commercial development outside of the contest (if any).
In my opinion there are no restrictions beyond the contest. There's no real way that there could be since there's no private SDK or special manufacturing process required to make a commercial game for the gp2x. Certainly they have never stated any restrictions.

Also in my opinion, it appears to me that they backtracked on this and my reading is that if you don't win the contest and don't use the GPH or gp2x logo (who would do that anyway?) you'd still be free to do whatever you want with the game. However that's just an interpretation that comes from reading the same text you did and it may be incorrect.

Uncertainties about this caused me (and some others) to forget about thinking of making an entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back