Sega: How Far Should I Venture...

oh and just because a game has sonic in it doesn't mean it was developed by the Sonic team. So on that note they may not have done anything for the PS2 despite there being sonic games. I don't know for sure what was released for the PS2. I quite following that system when i got my xbox.

EDIT: I also still don't understand why you really have to buy anything to do a term paper on Sega. How is playing the games going to help you with how Sega failed?

'Welcome to the Real World... Sega Saturn' :D

a Saturn is the way to go, one of the best systems I have ever owned and it still gets used every day!

Everyone i knew had a PSX and even though the saturn had no dedicated 3d hardware most 3d games looked far superior, Panzer Dragoon II with crisp high-res graphics, reflections and volumetric lighting!!! I soiled my pants the first time I saw that game!

Such a great console, it deserves more respect than it gets nowadays.

1. Arguing the sematics of the word "allowed". It isnt really a big deal, I used the word because my personal feelings are that Sega put themselves in the position that lead to their current situation through the series of poor choices they are famous for.

2. I'll accept assertion that a game with Sonic in it does not necessarily denote a Sonic Team production but only because I do not have hard evidence yet by which to challange the point, but by your own admission not knowing what came out for the PS2 means you could still be wrong and so I will make an attempt this week to figure out the truth on this one. But for now I'll leave it with; It'd be foolish for Sonic Team to continue with this bullish thought process, but it'd also be right in line with sega's history of making poor choices.

3. The only Saturn games that looked better than PSx games were the ones made exclusivley for it. Yeah, the Pazer games kick all sorts of ass but any multiplatform game looks arguably better on the PS. Compare such games as Toshinden and Tombraider or really any multi-plat game side by side.

My girlfriend is buying a Saturn because of her fond memories of it, and she missed a chance to get it on eBay for 15 bucks, plus shipping and 16 games. Crazy missed opportunity, but I'm currently consumed in a bidwar for a front loader Sega CD unit.... Not really a bidwar yet, as it's got 5 days left, but... it's a good package.

I hear you can burn games and use them in your CD unit... That would be cool, to be able to test out games before you buy them.

So, in short, Sega CD first, then dreamcast, or whatever comes next ;)

Angel posted on Mar 3 2006 at 06:50 AM said:
EDIT: I also still don't understand why you really have to buy anything to do a term paper on Sega. How is playing the games going to help you with how Sega failed?

Ehrm, through the course of writing this paper, I found myself wanting the consoles... Doesn't that make sense? Plus, how will having the failed conoles not help me figure out how Sega failed? If I'm constantly encountering problems, can't find good games, etc, I'll better understand, firsthand, why people had problems with their systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova posted on Mar 2 2006 at 09:07 PM said:
Also, when i bought my dc, the tv lead was broken, does anyone know whether i can get a new one?
Funnily enough my RF cable was broken when I got it, I just picked up a scart cable from ebay.

Rayek posted on Mar 5 2006 at 01:36 PM said:
I hear you can burn games and use them in your CD unit... That would be cool, to be able to test out games before you buy them.

Yes, that's true, SegaCD/MegaCD had no copy protection whatsoever, since it came out in a time when CD burners for PCs were over $2000 each, meaning no average user could afford one, and copied games would therefore be a huge minority. SegaCD still has country protection though.

So yes, you can play copied CD in the MegaCD BUT: they MUST BE BURNED ON 650mb CDs. The MegaCD units can not read 700MB CDs. Oh, and CDRWs won't work at all, not even 650MB ones, so don't think about that either.

Rayek posted on Mar 5 2006 at 05:06 AM said:

Yep, I have a Mega CD (Brit Version) and copied games work fine, means I can pack my collection away safely somewhere and use the copies.
You can also play copies easilly on the Saturn with an Action Replay cart, I grabbed one off eBay for 99p :D

White Demon posted on Mar 5 2006 at 06:14 AM said:
The MegaCD units can not read 700MB CDs.

Yes they can. I only use 700MB CDs and they work fine on my Sega CD. Mine's a toploader, though, so maybe there's a difference in the two models.

Get a Saturn and a Dreamcast for sure :) Don't bother with MegaCD and 32X, junk.

saturn:
NiGHTS! definite buy
Radiant Silvergun - most awesome shooter

dc:
PSO
skies of arcadia
ikaruga (sequal to radiant silvergun)
too many to name so i wont go on, those 3 will last for months of playing time

You will also need to somehow find a copy of Guardian Heroes for that Saturn. Do heed the advice of some here and not venture toward the CD add on or the 32x unless you get them dirt cheap. Saturn and Dreamcast is Sega at their best.

Are you kidding? Sega CD is one of my favourite consoles. There wasn't a lot that came out for it, but there were a lot of hidden gems. My suggestions:

Snatcher <- MUST HAVE
Sonic CD
Silpheed
Iron Helix
Third World War
Rise of the Dragon
Sewer Shark
Road Avenger
Lunar: Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue

A few of these came out for PC back in the day, but my PC couldn't handle them so I grabbed the Sega CD versions. Good shit, though.

I forgot about Lunar! Sorry about that. I guess it is because I have it for the PS1. I have both Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue. It is terrible that Working Designs has closed its doors this past Christmas. Who now will give us games over here in the USA like Lunar and Alundra?

edit: I could never find Lunar when it came out for the CD add on.

Ravnos posted on Mar 6 2006 at 01:37 AM said:
White Demon posted on Mar 5 2006 at 06:14 AM said:
The MegaCD units can not read 700MB CDs.

Yes they can. I only use 700MB CDs and they work fine on my Sega CD. Mine's a toploader, though, so maybe there's a difference in the two models.

Well you've got a better MegaCD2 than me then, as both my (top loading) MegaCD2s refuse to read 700MB CDs, as does my Playstation.

I don't know, maybe it's a PAL?NTSC thing
(of course, there's the cue for someone to come in and say their PAL MegaCD2 will read'em :angry: )

I just can't be a Sega fanatic without having played Sonic CD on original hardware...

Not that much else came out for it, barring what Ravnos posted, which I've only heard two games listed there... but there's something good about that. I mean, how many Megamans and Marios do we hear about for Nintendo's consoles? This is why I like Sega a lot, there are hidden treasures I had no clue about.

Not to totally change the subject, but is there a chance in the near future to get a Mega CD emulator working on the GP2X?

Back