GP2X Sdl_opengl

sweetfish

Still Fresh
Website
md5.se
Hi

I havn't used SDL before, but I want to code to the GP2X as soon as I can.. Although I have used OpenGL for awhile, and I'm currently testing SDL_OpenGL which works nice. But then again... Will this work on the GP2X, or do I have to use the native-sdl-code?

Yours,
Sven, Sweden

There is no hardware support for gl (only 2d hardware, not 3d) so you will probably want to be avoiding that. It may still work through software but there's no telling how slow it would be until you try your code on the gp2x.

if someone has annouced Quake (or quake2) engine, how does it works without GL support?

it's a joke?

Quake was software rendering only in its original release. Quake 2 had software rendering as the default option. It is those software renderers that would be ported.

It seems that it has 2 cpus, one of which is for graphics. Is htere some way some one could start porting some subset of mesa (like the egl subset of gl for instance) that would utilize the "gpu" of hte gpx2? seems you could probably get ok GL performance. Then port sdl to that?
I need to do lots of research me thinks :)

Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games, including the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power."

So it seems we need an opengl implementation... Mesa is a software opengl implementation. So its a start. And I dunno, I trhink it can be mized and matched with hardare implementations, ie filling in the gaps. And the gp2x seems to havea gpu so some might be able to start writing some kind of opengl driver for it?

It doesn't seem imposible.

Quake achieves 3d in software on the gp2x, we simply want to sue the opengl (through mesa) API instead of the quake API.
And if we can get a few hardare accelerated functions (ideally the most basic and common) mixed in with mesa, all the better.

Back