Sdhc And Joysticks?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
I'm really thinking of buying a GP2X now...it's looking more and more appealing. But, there are still a few things bothering me.

First, does the GP2X support SDHC? I can get an 8 GB SDHC card for only $80, which would be really nice for storing audio and maybe some videos, and emulation type stuff.

Also, the Joystick has been worrying me a lot. Will there be a point when I won't be able to use the joystick on the GP2X anymore? I don't want to buy a GP2X and have the joystick break on me all of a sudden, and then not be able to use it anymore. Play-Asia sells replacement joysticks, and there's a guide to using a PSP replacement joystick instead. Will that help?

Thanks

quadomatic said:
I'm really thinking of buying a GP2X now...it's looking more and more appealing. But, there are still a few things bothering me.

First, does the GP2X support SDHC? I can get an 8 GB SDHC card for only $80, which would be really nice for storing audio and maybe some videos, and emulation type stuff.

Also, the Joystick has been worrying me a lot. Will there be a point when I won't be able to use the joystick on the GP2X anymore? I don't want to buy a GP2X and have the joystick break on me all of a sudden, and then not be able to use it anymore. Play-Asia sells replacement joysticks, and there's a guide to using a PSP replacement joystick instead. Will that help?

Thanks
1) Yes - all MK2's running FW 3.0 (or if you downgrade to 2.1.2) will work with SDHC cards - go to www.gbax.com as they sell sd cards that will work with the gp2x (and check out the gp2x wiki)
2) The joystick seems to be pretty strong. The issue is the deadzone, which affects gameplay

However, go for it - it's a pretty decent multimedia machine (without some overlord company trying to stop you using the machine as you want), especially when you can play double dragon, 1942 and commando in Mame. Sigh!!

Last edited by a moderator:
tdp said:
1) Yes - all MK2's running FW 3.0 (or if you downgrade to 2.1.2) will work with SDHC cards - go to www.gbax.com as they sell sd cards that will work with the gp2x (and check out the gp2x wiki)
2) The joystick seems to be pretty strong. The issue is the deadzone, which affects gameplay

However, go for it - it's a pretty decent multimedia machine (without some overlord company trying to stop you using the machine as you want), especially when you can play double dragon, 1942 and commando in Mame. Sigh!!
1) Wrong - 3.0 and 2.1.x do not support SDHC. Open2x however will (made a lot of progress today on the filesystem) and in the meantime, you can get this: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=35840
2) Yes, I've had my GP2X for over a year now and it feels no different now to when I got it. The deadzone isn't too bad, just irritating for some games (but then I have a MK1 and it is supposed to be better on MK2s).

Orkie said:
tdp said:

1) Wrong - 3.0 and 2.1.x do not support SDHC. Open2x however will (made a lot of progress today on the filesystem) and in the meantime, you can get this: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=35840
2) Yes, I've had my GP2X for over a year now and it feels no different now to when I got it. The deadzone isn't too bad, just irritating for some games (but then I have a MK1 and it is supposed to be better on MK2s).

1) Guess we are both wrong - You should check out :- http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry539113

Just a matter of time before it's fully sorted. quadomatic sorry for the mistake. Only had mine for a few weeks, still learning.

tdp said:
Orkie said:
tdp said:

1) Guess we are both wrong - You should check out :- http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry539113

Just a matter of time before it's fully sorted. quadomatic sorry for the mistake. Only had mine for a few weeks, still learning.

I'm still confused...so do you need special firmware to get SDHC to work or not? (Sorry for being a noob)

tdp said:

No, I am right :). That is not an official firmware, it's the one I linked to which is based upon the source of 2.1.2, but isn't actually 2.1.2 itself.

quadomatic said:
I'm still confused...so do you need special firmware to get SDHC to work or not? (Sorry for being a noob)
Yes, just use the one linked to above and it should just work.

I have got a 4GB Reekin card that works.

The Open2x looks good.

poodle said:
But there exist 4gb non SC as well right?
yes but sd cards higher than 4 gb are all Sdhc :ph34r:

Not at all, if your power dies in the middle of the SDHC hack of 2.1.2 upgrade, you simply reflash. As long as you don't ever flash gp2xboot.img, your GP2X should be pretty easily recoverable.

Orkie said:
Not at all, if your power dies in the middle of the SDHC hack of 2.1.2 upgrade, you simply reflash. As long as you don't ever flash gp2xboot.img, your GP2X should be pretty easily recoverable.
Alright then, thanks for letting me know

Now to scrape up $180...I suppose I could sell my Nintendo DS and all my homebrew stuff, but that would probably be a bit rash

Back