Sd Cards

is class 4 the recomended class then? (tbc) (hoping for a yes no answer rather than sd card geek answer :p)
that opens up alot more options for me. :D
was looking at class 6 today.

think now i can afford two 16gb and be super chuffed :D

From another thread some time back:

WizardStan said:
Emnasut said:
How fast is the sd i/o-controller of the pandora? Would a Sandisk Extreme III (rated at 30 MB/sec read and write) even make sense or would an Ultra II (15 MB read, 9 MB write) already be enough? All my SD cards for my camera etc. are from Sandisk and I really like the speed...
It has an absolute max possible theoretical speed of 24MB/s, and it's been tested with cards up to 16MB/s. I wouldn't expect it to go much faster than that 16. A 30MB/s is definitely overkill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trevsweb said:
is class 4 the recomended class then? (tbc) (hoping for a yes no answer rather than sd card geek answer :p )
that opens up alot more options for me. :D
was looking at class 6 today.

think now i can afford two 16gb and be super chuffed :D

If you're going to keep the same data on the SD cards for long periods of time, then Class 4 (or even 2) will be just fine. Unless you really need emulators and ROMS to load in 2 seconds as opposed to 3 or 4 seconds.

Class 2 and 4 are easily fast enough for watching any video format that the Pandora is capable of.

The only time you'll really notice the difference is when you start loading data ON to the cards en mass.

borgqueenx said:
So a sandisk 32gb Of class 2 will be fast enough to play full quality divx and mp4 without stuttering? Thats hard to believe when i tried class 2 cards on my psp.
I don't know what's considered "full quality," but I don't think any commonly used (compressed) video codecs would require more than 16 Mb/s of bandwidth...

borgqueenx said:
So a sandisk 32gb Of class 2 will be fast enough to play full quality divx and mp4 without stuttering? Thats hard to believe when i tried class 2 cards on my psp.
Assuming that the read speed is at least as good as the write speed (the class specifies the write speed, but this should not be an unreasonable assumption) then a class 2 card that operates only at the minimum of what you can expect will get 2MB/s, 120MB/m, 7.2GB/h. I can't even begin to imagine the video file that you might have that is encoded for 7.2GB per hour. I've seen 1080p videos encoded at only 1/6th of that.
If you were experiencing stuttering on your PSP, I'm going to guess it's one of two things: either the method you used that let you use an SDHC card on your PSP is slower than 2MB/s; or the PSP simply didn't have the horsepower to decode the video stream, so the PSP itself was stuttering on the data.

WizardStan said:
Assuming that the read speed is at least as good as the write speed (the class specifies the write speed, but this should not be an unreasonable assumption) then a class 2 card that operates only at the minimum of what you can expect will get 2MB/s, 120MB/m, 7.2GB/h. I can't even begin to imagine the video file that you might have that is encoded for 7.2GB per hour. I've seen 1080p videos encoded at only 1/6th of that.
If you were experiencing stuttering on your PSP, I'm going to guess it's one of two things: either the method you used that let you use an SDHC card on your PSP is slower than 2MB/s; or the PSP simply didn't have the horsepower to decode the video stream, so the PSP itself was stuttering on the data.
Could be those or if not then i'd guess that the method of attachment (i dont know) might have needed for the PSPs CPU to handle the data transfer (PIO) taking away time from video decoding, and if poorly made or coded, even the time between request for data and a reply, effectively making it need a faster card than you'd think to handle the video. Or maybe the video player didnt have proper buffering, stuttering if it didnt get the data NOW. These are just guesses, though (i know really near nothing about PSPs, dont have one).

Hey, borgy, didn't you previously mention using fake cards with your PSP before, though...? (Or am I misremembering? :p)

Also;

borgqueenx said:
This seems good value:)
http://cgi.ebay.nl/32GB-Genuine-Kingston-Class-6-SDHC-SD-Flash-Memory-Card-/120567546913?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item1c1262c421#ht_3373wt_948

good feedback as well.
I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that at that price, there is NO WAY that that card is genuine. If very big retailers with very big buying power, such as Play.com and Amazon, can only manage to offer these sizes at ~£65 and higher, there is almost no chance that some random eBayer can beat them.

Also, good feedback is no indication of a genuine product, and it has been known for rings of sellers of fakes, or the same seller under multiple different account names, to leave positive feedbacks for each other (in this case, it seems odd to me that there are so many positive feedbacks from users with the word "flash" in their name... :p) - for example, did these people test with H2Testw? Or did they just briefly copy a photograph to it and think "That's ok - now to leave a positive feedback."?

I cannot stress this enough, so please listen: Stop looking at SD Cards on eBay. They are all fakes. All but the tiniest fraction of sellers of genuine cards have been driven away, because they simply cannot compete with the unrealistic prices offered by the hawkers of non-genuine goods. You will not get a genuine card on eBay - pay the proper price and get a real card.

(And yes, I'm back from my vacation. :p Nice to see you all again.)

Hello, this one has a nice photo on it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-Flash-Memory-32GB-Class/dp/B003DK72EG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273229821&sr=1-7

This one looks cheap and nasty:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Memory-GO-32GB-Class-SDHC/dp/B003DKAXVU/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273229821&sr=1-16

For the extra pound I might just go crazy and get one with a nice photo on it. Somehow SDHC cards remind me of sausages, someone once told me that the sausages with nice packaging contain pigs lips, but personally I'm convinced it's bollocks. Always go for the one that looks tasty folks...

They're both from third-parties, so you have no real way of knowing whether or not they're genuine cards, unfortunately. (Fake cards are by no means a problem exclusive to eBay. :()

Found this Kingston 32gb sdhc class 4 $39
http://www.hkdigitalhot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4&zenid=3nk98mimn0gb79dagc10vu1dd3

I'm pretty sure that that's being sold at below cost... I don't believe it's real.

cool https://www.memorybits.co.uk/ have a discount of 10% by entering promo code spring10 16gb sdcard only £24 :)

finally broke down and got some sd's figureing it is finally really about to be here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208535

class 10 16gb, decent price

budbud said:
Found this Kingston 32gb sdhc class 4 $39
http://www.hkdigitalhot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4&zenid=3nk98mimn0gb79dagc10vu1dd3

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, they also have a 128GB USB Flash Drive for $42, sounds dodgy to me as well.

This 16GB Class 4 from Amazon looks good value to me at £17.99 Delivered to UK.

Mr Loon said:
This 16GB Class 4 from Amazon looks good value to me at £17.99 Delivered to UK.

Or you could get a brand name card for the same price from Play.com and not have to worry about the possibility of it being a fake.

Back