Sd Card Write Off

yeh recently my sd card fell apart, casing coming off etc..
and with it, the little plastic write-protect switch got lost :(
tried taping over it/replacing the little plastic thing, but to no avail
anyways to cancel the write protect using software or other method?
dont fancy buying another 4gb sd card :(
yeh, i can open the files currently saved on there, but cant write to it :(
thanks

I shoved a bit of molten "Polymorph" into the tab and cut off the excess, although I'm guessing anything that sets hard would do.
Means the card is ALWAYS writeable, but that's not to much of an issue.

You could try something like that..

If the card is set to write protected or not is detected by your card reader so it's not possible to do it in software.

its detected by my card reader and i can see files that was on there before, but its constantly set to write protected cos switch isnt there
i dont have any molten set or anything like that :(
the card has also completely fallen apart, like case in 2 pieces and chip in middle completely crapped up
this is really annoying me :(

The GP2X itself doesn't respect write-protection, so if you can write to it on the GP2X, it's not entirely dead :)

well at that time.. it had only gmenu installed onto it, i was putting all my programs set up for that on there
o shit yeh, i forgot about the usb cable.. fuckin awesome!
i was about to throw the card away xd
think i could glue all the casing to the chip etc.. and it would be ok?
cant properly fit it in the gp2x
also doesnt recognise the sd card :(
wen i click sd card, theres just nothing there :(
even tho the card clicks in properly into the slot

need to know how to get the gp2x to recognize it :(
my card reader lets me look at the files on it, but cant write to it :(

Why would it being mechanical stop you shorting it? Just tape a bit of metal over the pins if you need to.

You can't short a write-protect switch. It's just a piece of plastic. The card reader is responsible for detecting its position and write-protecting the card. The GP2X doesn't do that.

EDIT: Disregard that, Orkie means shorting connections inside the card reader. Provided you can identify them, it would work fine.

nickspoon said:
You can't short a write-protect switch. It's just a piece of plastic. The card reader is responsible for detecting its position and write-protecting the card. The GP2X doesn't do that.

EDIT: Disregard that, Orkie means shorting connections inside the card reader. Provided you can identify them, it would work fine.
i've never identified the connections in my life + i wudnt know where to start
i just need to know how to get it to recognize the damn sd card wen i put it into the gp2x
the card has fallen apart :( but can kinda put it back together

Last edited by a moderator:
What, doesn\'t it help to tape over the place where the plastic thing was?
or just stuff SOMETHING there, I\'m sure you\'ve got a piece of plastic or metal you can use.
Even a piece of paper should work if you open it and glue together.

Back