Sd Card Reader Is It Required.

Adamski

Still Fresh
I just ordered a GP2X with a 1gig SD card, after reading a few posts a lot of people seem to be talking about SD card readers.

So the question is, do I really need a card reader or can I just stick my SD card in the GP2X connect it to my PC via USB and copy stuff across to the card?

Adamski posted on Mar 21 2006 at 03:00 PM said:
I just ordered a GP2X with a 1gig SD card, after reading a few posts a lot of people seem to be talking about SD card readers.

So the question is, do I really need a card reader or can I just stick my SD card in the GP2X connect it to my PC via USB and copy stuff across to the card?

The USB connection is notoriously temperamental when linking the GP to a PC so a card reader is strongly advised. You can pick one up from Maplin for as little as £14. It really makes things simple.

Enjoy your new toy when it arrives: these forums will be your friends :)

Last edited by a moderator:
you might be lucky though and your gp2x will perfectly connect to your computer. But the transfer rate is really slow so a card reader is still strongly recommended...

Wow this is turning out pricey, GP2X + SD Card + Card Reader, and looking at the other threads it looks like if I want to upgrade the firmware I need a power adapter.

Oh and some rechargable batteries, have to hide the credit card statement this month.

Adamski - Sure, many people talk about a power adapter for upgrading firmware, but I recently upgraded to 1.4 without any problems, used batteries (freshly charged) - only took about 10 seconds - so no probs just using batteries, freshly charged. Ansmann 2500 NiMH photo batteries last about 5 hours in the GP2x.

Yes, you need a card reader. Another source is Novatech.co.uk

Adamski posted on Mar 21 2006 at 05:13 PM said:
Wow this is turning out pricey, GP2X + SD Card + Card Reader, and looking at the other threads it looks like if I want to upgrade the firmware I need a power adapter.

Oh and some rechargable batteries, have to hide the credit card statement this month.
I have the same :(, but a good thing is that unlike with most consoles you dont have to buy any games, so that makes up for it :).

Adamski posted on Mar 21 2006 at 04:13 PM said:

I bought my 2gig A-DATA card and a usb sd card reader for $61.80 + shipping and handling. They had a special combo sale on newegg.com.

Back