Sd Card Problems

Steve Warner

Still Fresh
Website
www.stevewarner.com
I just purchased two SanDisk 1GB SD cards for my GP2X. I inserted them into the card reader that I got from GBAX. Windows XP recognized the reader and the SD card and installed the appropriate drivers. I now see a new drive in Windows Explorer, but when I try to write files to the SD card, I get the error:

"Unable to ... The media is write protected"

where "..." is either pasting data, creating a new folder, etc.

I have double and triple checked to ensure that the write protect switch on the card is not in the wrong position. It is not. I have even tried it in the wrong position (as well as the half-way point) to be sure. I get the same results every time.

After much unsuccess, I eventually tried the 2nd SanDisk SD card and it has the EXACT same results. The system thinks that the SD card is write protected when it's definitely not.

Formatting the card does not work as the system says the card is write protected.

I do not have another device to try the SD card in. I've searched Google and there are other people who have this same problem, but I've yet to find a solution.

Can anyone offer help with this?

Thanks in advance. :)

Are you able to use the usb cable to connect the Gp2x directly to the PC? If so, try transferring the files this way to see if it works.

Firmware bug.

You need to upgrade to 1.0.1
First DON'T PUT the gp2xboot.img on your SD-Card, only the rest of the files.

If your card is compatible, while booting it will show "Upgrading Firmware".
It should only stay there for about 30 seconds, then the loading screen will appear.

(it will crash there, as it can't delete the gp2xkernel.img).

If that works:
Turn it off, add gp2xboot.img to your SD-Card, insert the SD-Card and switch it on again.

Again, it will show "Upgrading Firmware" for a few seconds.

After it's finished, it should boot into menu and you can write to your cards.

Run the PATCH using the utility-section to be able to view movies again.

Kalakian posted on Dec 6 2005 at 03:12 PM said:
Are you able to use the usb cable to connect the Gp2x directly to the PC? If so, try transferring the files this way to see if it works.
I've tried the direct USB connection but unfortunately, I'm stuck with the 1.0 firmware, so no luck. WinXP sees the device, but notes that there are problems and won't assign a drive letter. :(

EvilDragon posted on Dec 6 2005 at 03:17 PM said:
Firmware bug.

You need to upgrade to 1.0.1
First DON'T PUT the gp2xboot.img on your SD-Card, only the rest of the files.
:p That's the problem. I can't get files onto the SD card, either directly through the GP2X or via the card reader that GBAX sent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, what make of card reader and how old is it? I'm saying that cos there are problems with some card readers and cards over 512Mb as discussed in this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22864 (which i've posted another thread link in to another similar problem - oh the fun never stops with SD cards :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back