Sd Card - Files And Firmware Problem

andym

Still Fresh
No end of messing around with various SD cards would work with the GP2X. Luckily someone (JonnyVegas) posted a note suggesting the use of a card reader. I pulled out and dusted off a 6in1 device I had bought a few years ago, formatted the SD card with it and copied over the firmware files. Hey presto it works!

This is pretty terrible because -

a) you might not have an external (old) SD card reader
b) why should it make any difference?

The details of my kit -

Toshiba TecraM2 with internal SD card reader (doesn't work with GP2X)
Windows XP Prof.
Dane-Elec USB 6in1 Card R/W Model KU6in1 (does work with GP2X)

For anyone who is having spurious problems using their SD card or having problems updating the firmware..

USE AN EXTERNAL CARD READER TO FORMAT THE SD CARD TO FAT32 AND THEN LOAD THE FILES ONTO IT.

If it wasn't for the posting from JonnyVegas, I would have put the GP2X in the bin because it was no use at all.

Good luck.

I can second the findings posted above. It might also have something to do with the way that the SD cards are removed from the card reader. If I remove the SD card from my Toshiba laptop's internal card reader without ejecting it then I cannot flash the firmware. If I remove without ejecting from my Verbatim 6in1 card reader then the flash will work.

I am using an external card reader to format my SD card. I put the card into my GP2X with the latest firmware files and it just boots up as normal but deletes the .img files.

My info screen tells me:

VERSION: 1.0
MODEL: GP2X - F100
S/N: 2005.11.15 - GP2XV101 - 00000142

I am using an Integral 1GB SD card supplied by GBAX.com, which according to the compatibility list should work.

Should I run patch20051128.gpu anyway?

WhizzBang posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:03 AM said:
I am using an external card reader to format my SD card. I put the card into my GP2X with the latest firmware files and it just boots up as normal but deletes the .img files.

My info screen tells me:

VERSION: 1.0
MODEL: GP2X - F100
S/N: 2005.11.15 - GP2XV101 - 00000142

I am using an Integral 1GB SD card supplied by GBAX.com, which according to the compatibility list should work.

Should I run patch20051128.gpu anyway?

No! Make sure that you formatting the card FAT32 in the card reader in WindowsXP and then put the firmware on it. Only run the .gpu once the firmware has been updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back